You can now buy Starlink Internet at Best Buy

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
If you’re interested in Elon Musk’s high-speed satellite internet service Starlink, we have good news. This week, Best Buy started selling residential SpaceX Starlink dishes on its website, making it easier than ever for consumers to try it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
I looked at Starlink here as an option to fibre.

About $A800.00 setup plus $A175.00/mth with no guarantee against speed limitations at busy times.

Eventually I settled on a ZTE 5G Wifi Router the size of my phone, no bloody great dish. 540Gb/mth data @ ~500Mbps 24/7 for $A80.00/mth.

Even as big and remote as we are, we are pretty tech savvy as a nation and my prediction is Starlink will crash & burn here. But, what do I know...

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
So the cost and then mounting a dish somewhere on my roof (in my case) is a no-go. Then, is it going to be affected or disrupted by weather like some of the other satellite services are, i.e. Dish? With my Spectrum package, I'm paying $50.00 a month for 300Mbps speed, which is usually around 325- 350Mbps, and is cable, which has been very consistent. I think not, Elon.

From this link: Starlink Reviews: Plans, Prices And Speed 2023

Starlink Plans​

Starlink internet plans offer customers the most affordable and comprehensive options for high-speed internet in the area. Between affordable bundle deals, unlimited data plans and truly unlimited options, Starlink has what it takes to get you connected at an affordable price.

Starlink is a no-contract satellite internet provider that offers unlimited high-speed internet speeds up to 500 Mbps. There are three internet plans to choose from: Starlink, Starlink RV and Starlink Business. Depending on your download speed, the plans range from 50 to 500 Mbps at $110 to $500 per month. Not to mention, Starlink RV and business customers can pause and restart their service anytime.

Fine Print​

There are some finer details to consider with Starlink. The cable is permanently attached to the dish, so if it’s damaged you have to replace the whole dish. Speaking of the dish, it needs to be mounted as high as possible and needs an unobstructed line to the satellites, making it an unattractive option in urban environments.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
So the cost and then mounting a dish somewhere on my roof (in my case) is a no-go. Then, is it going to be affected or disrupted by weather like some of the other satellite services are,
Once upon a time I had a 16 ft C-Band antenna, analog, always picture perfect, weather did not affect the signal plus off-air chatter, great stuff. Then for a long story (skipped), we got Directv digital, first day after installation, we had thunderstorms, and no TV. WTF? I've seen some video reviews of Starlink, perhaps by Crosstalk Solutions...??

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Starlink also exists in France and the speeds are quite good (between 200 and 300Mbps).
It is very useful if no ADSL or Fiber connection is present and if the 4G/5G is poor...
But if you live in a big city with 1Gb fiber access, it will be useless :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.