Advice Request Your views on the best and worst driver download websites?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I know and advocate that the best option is to download from the manufacturer's website, but maybe that's not always possible. Here are some of what my searches found:

driverscape.com
driversupdatecenter.net
driverzone.com
binarydb.com
driverlookup.com
driverguide.com
download.cnet.com
softpedia.com
driverdr.com
driversdownloader.com

I have seen that some driver download websites are for real, and some are fake download websites in that they are only there to get you to try the shareware program they are offering, and you won't get any drivers without downloading the program.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I prefer to use driver update software rather than downloading from websites, but I use driverscape.com occasionally. It does heavily promote DriverToolkit. But this is an excellent driver updater, which I've been using ever since it was released and as far as I can tell, has a much bigger database of drivers, than any other driver update software.

For driver update software, Wise Driver Care, DriverHub and DriverToolkit all work very well. DriverHub is free and there is a free version of Wise Driver Cub.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Windows updates itself
Software like browsers etc. will install new updates automatically i just check that automatic updates are enabled

Nvidia is only one i have to do manually from their official site, since i dont want to install bloat geforce experience

Reactions: AtlBo

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
[QUOTE="Moonhorse, post: 758441, member: 72712Software like browsers etc. will install new updates automatically i just check that automatic updates are enabled
That's got nothing to do with driver updates.[/QUOTE]
Nvidia do tho, also realtek/ motherboard had rarely but i wouldnt mess up with driver installer just because of driver or two

Reactions: AtlBo and roger_m

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Maybe for Windows XP users, but most people rely on their existing software to stay updated.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Microsoft Update Catalog - it lists updates, which are not available via Windows Update (they are for VIPs only :emoji_innocent:), then drivers.softpedia.com
Sometimes driver updates fix security vulnerabilities/certificates/etc, so keeping them updated is as important as updating any other software.

Realtek WLAN Driver update for WPA2 issue on Dec. Refresh | HP® Customer Support

Intel fixes major security driver utility tool vulnerability so you don't have to | TheINQUIRER

I have heard that Windows driver updating will sometimes give generic drivers, so I'm wary of it.
Yes, Windows installs the latest stable tested driver, they do not bother updating it to avoid possible issues, if it works, it works, even if it is years old.

P.S.: I check for drivers via Driver Easy and if it founds anything, I will download it from those 2, since you have to know the driver version, like:

Download Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller LAN Driver 10.28.615.2018 for Windows 10 64 bit

Microsoft Update Catalog

Attachments

• capture_08222018_112336.jpg
    capture_08222018_112336.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 685
Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Best is to install from official manufacturers' websites.
Except they do not list the latest drivers, like Realtek audio, official webpage lists the one from July 2017, but the latest one is from August 2018.
They let the Microsoft to do the dirty work for them and once some driver is proven to be the least problematic, they link it on the official webpage.

Reactions: Dhruv2193

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Becasue realtek do specifc version driver for specific montherboard which is included mostly by cd-room or some times in web if need some prio updates.. there is no reason to have it updates its like bios.. if all work better dont touch it....

Peter Phillie

Level 1
Verified
Jul 12, 2018
For me, DriverGuide.com is one of the best driver updater sites. It is easy to use, scanning my computer took less than a minute, and the program displays results in an easy-to-read list. Also, updating driver updates is only an easy click to the Download button.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

For me, DriverGuide.com is one of the best driver updater sites. It is easy to use, scanning my computer took less than a minute, and the program displays results in an easy-to-read list. Also, updating driver updates is only an easy click to the Download button.

I was using this back in the 90's in my heyday of computer building. Think 500 meg byte CPU's

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.