Advice Request Youtube app on iphone iOS 17.5.1

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Odd behavior "suddenly" using youtube app on iphone 15 iOS 17.5.1. I open youtube every night to listen to sleep meditation. I opened YT last night and instead of going to my Home page, it went to a screen asking me to turn on microphone & camera. This seems like a compromise of privacy, so I declined, but YT would not go to Home page, but again returned to same screen asking me to turn on microphone & camera. wow! Is this a "normal" YT activity or is my iphone somehow compromised? Of perhaps greater interest, this morning I opened YT app and it opened to my Home page and I checked and the mic and cam are still both switched off in iOS settings. Any idea what was going on with this last night?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
It sounds like a glitch rather than a compromise of privacy. The YouTube app shouldn't require access to your microphone and camera unless you're using a feature that necessitates them (like recording a video). Try force closing the app or reinstalling it to clear any potential issues. If the problem persists, report it to YouTube through their feedback option.

• +Reputation
Reactions: simmerskool and Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No, your device is not compromised. It could be random A/B testing on iOS users, or user mistake.

As you mention you use it every night, have you ruled out any accidental tiredness taps of the + icon. The additional permissions may be requested for voice search, or going live.

As another option, instead of using YouTube App, iOS users can try Brave's Playlist feature which allows offline, ad-free playback.

Which version of YouTube app are you running? Did you check for new updates?

Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It sounds like a glitch rather than a compromise of privacy. The YouTube app shouldn't require access to your microphone and camera unless you're using a feature that necessitates them (like recording a video). Try force closing the app or reinstalling it to clear any potential issues. If the problem persists, report it to YouTube through their feedback option.
possible that I may have hit a "record a video" with fat fingers, but last night the YT app would not let break out of that loop... Like I said, the app was working "normally" this morning.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
possible that I may have hit a "record a video" with fat fingers, but last night the YT app would not let break out of that loop... Like I said, the app was working "normally" this morning.
It's indeed possible that you might have accidentally hit the "record a video" button, triggering the app to request for microphone and camera access. As it's working normally now, it was likely a temporary glitch. If it happens again, try force closing the app or even restarting your iPhone.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
No, your device is not compromised. It could be random A/B testing on iOS users, or user mistake.

As you mention you use it every night, have you ruled out any accidental tiredness taps of the + icon. The additional permissions may be requested for voice search, or going live.

As another option, instead of using YouTube App, iOS users can try Brave's Playlist feature which allows offline, ad-free playback.

Which version of YouTube app are you running? Did you check for new updates?
certainly could have sleepy fat fingers at 2:00am. I just was able to reproduce my mistake, so my user error with clueless fat fingers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.