Not open for further replies.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Amiga500 said:
starchild76 said:
Just installed the free zonealarm suite ( av + firewall ) , for the hay of it....
Its not light in any way on my system , it feels really heavy on system start up , opening up of chrome takes much longer too and the memory ussage : 54% - 67% so its really sucking the life out of my system : going to uninstall ASAP!!!! really , really dissapointed with this software :mad:

I really do not understand this fascination with ram usage.You have extra ram so why not use it.?

50-60% ram usage is nothing as you have 40% ram free doing nothing at all.
If you wish to only use a certain amount of ram then maybe you should purchase a machine with only 2gb of ram etc.

Thanks.!

Why let programs drain all your ram when there's lighter alternatives?
Even if I had a top of the line rig, I would still be picky with how much ram programs use

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Overkill said:
Amiga500 said:
starchild76 said:
Just installed the free zonealarm suite ( av + firewall ) , for the hay of it....
Its not light in any way on my system , it feels really heavy on system start up , opening up of chrome takes much longer too and the memory ussage : 54% - 67% so its really sucking the life out of my system : going to uninstall ASAP!!!! really , really dissapointed with this software :mad:

I really do not understand this fascination with ram usage.You have extra ram so why not use it.?

50-60% ram usage is nothing as you have 40% ram free doing nothing at all.
If you wish to only use a certain amount of ram then maybe you should purchase a machine with only 2gb of ram etc.

Thanks.!

Why let programs drain all your ram when there's lighter alternatives?
Even if I had a top of the line rig, I would still be picky with how much ram programs use

A lot of users don't understand when they first install ZoneAlarm it runs a security check in the background silently. During this time until the security check is complete, their system may use more RAM and be much slower than usual. Just simply installing and product then saying it uses too much RAM isn't a correct way to see how this product will perform. You have to allow it to complete the security check depending on the size of your hard drive(s), it could take hours. After a few reboots the RAM usage will be much lower. You may disable scheduled scans and run them manually because it will drain your system while it is scanning. Manually scan your system while it is in idle and not being used.

ZoneAlarm is a bit heavy on RAM, but it has never made my system run slow except when it was running the security check.

RAM usage should not cause any performance issues on newer systems with at least 1GB of RAM. This is not like the days of Win XP when RAM usage used to cause performance issues. It is much better for a product to load into your system's memory then to use high spike CPU cycles.

Some products like Comodo Internet Security does excellent on RAM usage but still makes systems slower than other products that use more memory. In a way of comparison on the systems that I tried ZoneAlarm on compared to Comodo, the ZoneAlarm systems were more responsive and had very little slow downs. The RAM usage did not matter.

ZoneAlarm security toolbar is still junk, I don't recommend installing it since it never works correctly with Firefox. It will make browsing very slow. Still ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall is an excellent product and I still recommend it.

Enjoy!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.