Security News Novel attack against virtually all VPN apps neuters their entire purpose

F

ForgottenSeer 109138

Most of the VPN providers contain firewall rules and kill switches that can stop such traffic leaks from occurring. Leviathan Security has stated that firewall rules within the apps can negate this attack.

The most vulnerable at the time are VPN providers being used on iOS "Apple" products because they prevent a full creation of a VPN Killswitch.

It is a POC and not one that could be implemented easily on a ISP or cell network. It would take some serious effort.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
@windscribe ,
does windscribe client have any mitigations against such an attack.

Regarding CVE-2024-3661: TunnelVision

Despite the alarmist claims by some tech publications, "virtually all VPN apps" are NOT vulnerable to this exploit. Windscribe implements a strict firewall that blocks all activity outside of the tunnel (virtual adapter) on all platforms. The only exception we found is on iOS and if you use "Allow LAN Traffic" feature. We're investigating if a fix is even possible with that feature enabled (but you could always disable it).

• Thanks
Reactions: Azazel

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Except that not all user use the vpn's app. I don't. I put the wireguard config on my glinet router. I'm not saying I'm worried about this, but simply that not everyone uses the app's firewall.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.