If you are hearing random audio ads playing in the background, then your computer is infected with a piece of malware known as Rootkit.Boot.Harbinger.a.
Rootkit.Boot.Harbinger.a is distributed through several means. Malicious websites, or legitimate websites that have been hacked, can infect your machine through exploit kits that use vulnerabilities on your computer to install this bootkit without your permission of knowledge.
Another method used to propagate this type of malware is spam email containing infected attachments or links to malicious websites. Cyber-criminals spam out an email, with forged header information, tricking you into believing that it is from a shipping company like DHL or FedEx. The email tells you that they tried to deliver a package to you, but failed for some reason. Sometimes the emails claim to be notifications of a shipment you have made. Either way, you can’t resist being curious as to what the email is referring to – and open the attached file (or click on a link embedded inside the email). And with that, your computer is infected with the Rootkit.Boot.Harbinger.a virus.
The threat may also be downloaded manually by tricking the user into thinking they are installing a useful piece of software, for instance a bogus update for Adobe Flash Player or another piece of software.
When a computer is infected with Rootkit.Boot.Harbinger.a, users will hear audio ads streaming in the background, which causes the system to run extremely slow and slowing down their internet.
This infection can open hundreds of different audio streams.
Rootkit.Boot.Harbinger.a will disguise itself as a svchost.exe to hide itself in the Windows Task Manager. Because it’s expected that there will be multiple copies of svchost.exe running and its workings are quite mysterious to the average computer user, malware authors have long leveraged the confusion around it to hide or at least obfuscate their doings.
How to remove Random audio ads virus (Removal Guide)
This page is a comprehensive guide, which will remove the Random audio ads infection from your your computer. Please perform all the steps in the correct order. If you have any questions or doubt at any point, STOP and ask for our assistance.
STEP 1: Remove the Master Boot Record infection with Kaspersky TDSSKiller
STEP 2: Run RKill to terminate any malicious processes
STEP 3: Remove “Random audio ads” virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
STEP 4: Remove “Random audio ads” malware with RogueKiller
STEP 5: Remove “Random audio ads” infection with HitmanPro
STEP 6: Double check for any left over infections with “Emsisoft Emergency Kit”
STEP 7: Remove “Random audio ads” adware with AdwCleaner
STEP 8: Remove “Random audio ads” browser hijacker with Junkware Removal Tool
STEP 1: Remove Random audio ads trojan with Kaspersky TDSSKiller
As part of its self defense mechanism, Random audio ads virus will install a ZeroAccess rootkit on the infected computer.In this first step, we will run a system scan with Kaspersky TDSSKiller to remove this rookit.
- Please download the latest official version of Kaspersky TDSSKiller.
KASPERSKY TDSSKILLER DOWNLOAD LINK(This link will automatically download Kaspersky TDSSKiller on your computer.)
- Before you can run Kaspersky TDSSKiller, you first need to rename it so that
you can get it to run. To do this, right-click on the TDSSKiller.exe icon and select Rename.
Edit the name of the file from TDSSKiller.exe to iexplore.exe.
- Double-click on renamed file to open this utility, then click on Change Parameters.
- In the new open window,we will need to enable Detect TDLFS file system, then click on OK.
- Next,we will need to start a scan with Kaspersky, so you’ll need to press the Start Scan button.
- Kaspersky TDSSKiller will now scan your computer for Trojan Random audio ads infection.
- When the scan has finished it will display a result screen stating whether or not the infection was found on your computer. If it was found it will display a screen similar to the one below.
- To remove the infection simply click on the Continue button and TDSSKiller will attempt to clean the infection.A reboot will be require to completely remove any infection from your system.
STEP 2: Run RKill to terminate Random audio ads malicious processes
RKill is a program that will attempt to terminate all malicious processes associated with Random audio ads infection, so that we will be able to perform the next step without being interrupted by this malicious software.
Because this utility will only stop Random audio ads running process, and does not delete any files, after running it you should not reboot your computer as any malware processes that are configured to start automatically will just be started again.
- While your computer is in Safe Mode with Networking ,please download the latest official version of RKill.Please note that we will use a renamed version of RKILL so that Proven Antivirus Protection won’t block this utility from running.
RKILL DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download RKILL renamed as iExplore.exe)
- Double click on iExplore.exe to start RKill and stop any processes associated with Random audio ads.
- RKill will now start working in the background, please be patient while the program looks for Random audio ads malicious process and tries to end them.
- When the Rkill utility has completed its task, it will generate a log. Do not reboot your computer after running RKill as the malware programs will start again.
STEP 3: Remove Random audio ads virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware FREE
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free utilizes Malwarebytes powerful technology to detect and remove all traces of malware including worms, trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware and more.
- You can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free from the below link, then double-click on the icon named mbam-setup.exe to install this program.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK(This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free)
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the setup process, then at the last screen click on the Finish button.
- On the Scanner tab, select Perform quick scan, and then click on the Scan button to start searching for the Random audio ads malicious files.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for Random audio ads virus as shown below.
- When the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan has finished, click on the Show Results button.
- You will now be presented with a screen showing you the computer infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has detected. Make sure that everything is Checked (ticked), then click on the Remove Selected button.
- Once your computer will restart in Windows regular mode, open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and perform a Full System scan to verify that there are no remaining threats.
STEP 4: Remove Random audio ads infection with RogueKiller
RogueKiller is a utility that will scan for the Random audio ads registry keys and any other malicious files on your computer.
- You can download the latest official version of RogueKiller from the below link.
ROGUEKILLER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download RogueKiller on your computer)
- Double-click on RogueKiller.exe to start this utility and then wait for the Prescan to complete.This should take only a few seconds, then click on the Scan button to perform a system scan.
- After the scan has completed, press the Delete button to remove Random audio ads malicious registry keys or files.
STEP 5: Remove Random audio ads infection with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a second opinion scanner, designed to rescue your computer from malware (viruses, trojans, rootkits, etc.) that have infected your computer despite all the security measures you have taken (such as anti virus software, firewalls, etc.).
- You can download HitmanPro from the below link:
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a web page from where you can download HitmanPro)
- Double-click on the file named HitmanPro.exe (for 32-bit versions of Windows) or HitmanPro_x64.exe (for 64-bit versions of Windows). When the program starts you will be presented with the start screen as shown below.
Click on the Next button, to install HitmanPro on your computer.
- HitmanPro will now begin to scan your computer for Random audio ads malware.
- When it has finished it will display a list of all the malware that the program found as shown in the image below. Click on the Next button, to remove Random audio ads virus.
- Click on the Activate free license button to begin the free 30 days trial, and remove all the malicious files from your computer.
STEP 6: Double check for any left over infections with Emsisoft Emergency Kit
The Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scanner includes the powerful Emsisoft Scanner complete with graphical user interface. Scan the infected PC for Viruses, Trojans, Spyware, Adware, Worms, Dialers, Keyloggers and other malicious programs.
- You can download Emsisoft Emergency Kit from the below link,then extract it to a folder in a convenient location.
EMSISOFT EMERGENCY KIT DOWNLOAD LINK ((This link will open a new web page from where you can download Emsisoft Emergency Kit)
- Open the Emsisoft Emergency Kit folder and double click EmergencyKitScanner.bat, then allow this program to update itself.
- After the Emsisoft Emergency Kit has update has completed,click on the Menu tab,then select Scan PC.
- Select Smart scan and click on the SCAN button to search for “Antivirus Security 2013″ malicious files.
- When the scan will be completed,you will be presented with a screen reporting which malicious files has Emsisoft detected on your computer, and you’ll need to click on Quarantine selected objects to remove them.
STEP 7: Remove Random audio ads adware with AdwCleaner
The AdwCleaner utility will scan your computer for Random audio ads malicious files that may have been installed on your computer without your knowledge.
- You can download AdwCleaner utility from the below link.
ADWCLEANER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download AdwCleaner on your computer)
- Before starting AdwCleaner, close all open programs and internet browsers, then double-click on the AdwCleaner icon.
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run AdwCleaner, please allow it to run.
- When the AdwCleaner program will open, click on the Scan button as shown below.
AdwCleaner will now start to search for Random audio ads malicious files that may be installed on your computer.
- To remove the Random audio ads malicious files that were detected in the previous step, please click on the Clean button.
AdwCleaner will now prompt you to save any open files or data as the program will need to reboot the computer. Please do so and then click on the OK button.
STEP 8: Remove Random audio ads browser hijack with Junkware Removal Tool
Junkware Removal Tool is a powerful utility, which will remove Random audio ads virus from Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome.
- You can download the Junkware Removal Tool utility from the below link:
JUNKWARE REMOVAL TOOL DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download the Junkware Removal Tool utility on your computer)
- Once Junkware Removal Tool has finished downloading, please double-click on the JRT.exe icon as seen below.
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run Junkware Removal Tool, please allow it to run.
- Junkware Removal Tool will now start, and at the Command Prompt, you’ll need to press any key to perform a scan for the Random audio ads.
Please be patient as this can take a while to complete (up to 10 minutes) depending on your system’s specifications.
- When the scan Junkware Removal Tool will be completed, this utility will display a log with the malicious files and registry keys that were removed from your computer.
Your computer should now be free of the Random audio ads infection. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future, and perform regular computer scans with HitmanPro.
If you are still experiencing problems while trying to remove Random audio ads from your machine, please start a new thread in our Malware Removal Assistance forum.