Adware, browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs are these days able to infected the Apple Mac OS operating system. This type of infections are designed specifically to make money. They generate web traffic, collects sales leads for other dubious sites, and will display advertisements and sponsored links within your web browser.
Unfortunately, some free downloads do not adequately disclose that other software will also be installed and you may find that you have installed adware on your Mac OS X without your knowledge. The type of potentially unwanted programs are typically added when you install another free software that had bundled into their installation this adware program.
When your Mac OS X is infected with malware, you will experience the following symptoms:
- Advertising banners are injected with the web pages that you are visiting.
- Random web page text is turned into hyperlinks.
- Browser popups appear which recommend fake updates or other software.
- Other unwanted adware programs might get installed without the user’s knowledge.
You should always pay attention when installing software because often, a software installer includes optional installs. Be very careful what you agree to install.
Always opt for the custom installation and deselect anything that is not familiar, especially optional software that you never wanted to download and install in the first place.
It goes without saying that you should not install software that you don’t trust.
How to remove adware and browser hijackers from Apple Mac OS X
This page is a comprehensive guide, which will remove adware and browser hijackers from Apple Mac OS X machine.
Please perform all the steps in the correct order. If you have any questions or doubt at any point, STOP and ask for our assistance.
To remove adware and browser hijackers from Mac OS, follow these steps:
- STEP 1: Uninstall the malicious apps from your Mac OS
- STEP 2: Remove unwanted extensions from your browser
- (OPTIONAL) STEP 3: Perform a system scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
STEP 1: Uninstall the malicious apps from your Mac OS
In this first step, we will try to identify and remove any malicious program that might be installed on your machine. The bellow video will explain how to remove any malicious program from your machine.
STEP 2: Remove unwanted extensions from your browser
- From the Safari menu, select “Preferences“.
In the Safari Preferences window, click the “Extensions” tab. Find any unknown plugin, then click on the “Uninstall” button.This infection can add more than one extension, it is recommended that you remove all unknown extensions from Safari.
Known malicious extensions: MacSaver, MacVX (and variants like MacVaX), MacCaptain, MacPriceCut, SaveOnMac, Mac Global Deals or MacDeals, MacSter, MacXcoupon, Shop Brain (or variants like SShoP Braaiin), PalMall, MacShop, MacSmart, News Ticker Remover, Shopper Helper Pro, Photo Zoom, Best YouTube Downloader, ArcadeYum, Extended protection, Video download helper, FlashFree or GoldenBoy.
- Next, select “Preferences“, go to the “General” tab and change the “Default Search Engine” to Google. Then, in the “General” tab, find the “Home Page” and change it to “google.com”.
- Click on Chrome’s main menu button, represented by three horizontal lines. When the drop-down menu appears, select the option labeled Settings.
- Chrome’s Settings should now be displayed in a new tab or window, depending on your configuration. Next, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Show advanced settings link (as seen in the below example).
- Chrome’s advanced Settings should now be displayed. Scroll down until the Reset browser settings section is visible, as shown in the example below. Next, click on the Reset browser settings button.
- A confirmation dialog should now be displayed, detailing the components that will be restored to their default state should you continue on with the reset process. To complete the restoration process, click on the Reset button.
- In the Firefox’s address bar type: about:support, then click on Enter.
- Click the “Reset Firefox” button in the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page.
- To continue, click on the “Reset Firefox” button in the new confirmation window that opens.
- Firefox will close itself and will revert to its default settings. When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click on the “Finish“.
(Optional) STEP 3: Perform a system scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
This step should be performed only if your issues have not been solved by the previous steps.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac is a powerful tool which is designed to remove adware and browser hijackers from Apple Mac OS.
- You can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac from the below link:
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE FOR MAC DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download “Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac”)
- One you have downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac, click on the “Scan” button to start a system check-up.
- When the scan has completed, click on the “Remove Selected Items” to remove all the malware that Malwarebytes has detected.