V9 Portal Site is a browser hijacker, which is promoted via other free downloads, and once installed it will change your browser homepage to en.v9.com, and default search engine to search.v9.com.
This in itself is not considered malicious as there are many legitimate programs that change these settings as well. What is considered malicious, though, is that it will also append the argument http://www.en.v9.com/ro/?si=41460&shortcut=true&tid=293 to random Windows shortcuts on your desktop and your Windows Start Menu.
V9 Portal Site will display advertisements and sponsored links in your search results, and may collect search terms from your search queries.
V9 Portal Site got on your computer after you have installed a freeware software (video recording/streaming, download-managers or PDF creators) that had bundled into their installation this browser hijacker.
For example, when you install MyFFVideoConverter, you will also agree to change your default browser homepage to en.v9.com and set your default search engine to search.v9.com. However when you uninstall MyFFVideoConverter from your computer, your web browser’s default settings will not be restored. This means that you’ll have to remove V9 Portal Site from your favorite web browser manually.
The V9 Portal Site hijack is used to boost advertising revenue, as in the use of blackhat SEO, to inflate a site’s page ranking in search results.
You should always pay attention when installing software because often, a software installer includes optional installs, such as this V9 Portal Site. Be very careful what you agree to install.
Always opt for the custom installation and deselect anything that is not familiar, especially optional software that you never wanted to download and install in the first place. It goes without saying that you should not install software that you don’t trust.
V9 Portal Site – Virus Removal Guide
STEP 1 : Uninstall V9 Portal Site from Windows
- To uninstall V9 Portal Site from your computer, click the Start button, then select Control Panel, and click on Uninstall a program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for “control panel“. Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control Panel from there, then select Uninstall a program.
- When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and uninstall New Tabs Uninstall, eSave Security Control, Desk 365, BrowserProtect and any other unwanted or unknown programs from your computer.
Depending on what program has installed the V9 Portal Site hijacker, the above programs may have a different name. If you cannot find any unwanted program, then you can go ahead with STEP 2.
STEP 2 : Remove the V9 Portal Site residual damage from your browser
V9 Portal Site may install a browser extensions, and will changed your browser homepage to en.v9.com, and set your default search engine to search.v9.com
Remove V9 Portal Site from Internet Explorer
- Remove V9 Portal Site extension from Internet Explorer.
Open Internet Explorer,then click on the gear icon (Tools for Windows XP users) at the top (far right) and then select Manage add-ons.
From the Toolbars and Extensions tab, select Proxy Tool and any other unwatend plugins then click on Disable.
- Set Internet Explorer default search engine from search.v9.com to Bing.
To change your default search engine, click on the gear icon , select Manage Add-ons, and then, under Add-on Types, click Search Providers.
Select Bing and on click the Set Default button.
To remove V9 Search from Internet Explorer, select V9 and click on Remove.
- Change your Internet Explorer homepage from en.v9.com to its default
Click on the gear icon , select Internet Explore options, and in the General tab,under the Home page section, click on Use default to restore Internet Explorer default home page.
Remove V9 Portal Site from Mozilla Firefox
- Remove V9 Portal Site extensions from Firefox.
At the top of the Firefox window, click the orange Firefox button, then select Add-ons.
Select the Extensions tab, then remove Snap.do 1.1 and any other unwanted extensions from Mozilla Firefox.
- Reset your default search engine and homepage from en.v9.com to their default.
To reset your search engine and homepage to their default, we will use the SearchReset extension.This add-on is very simple: on installation, it backs up and then resets your search preferences and home page to their default values, and then uninstalls itself. This affects the search bar, URL bar searches, and the home page.
You can download SearchReset from the below link, and then we will just need to install it to revert Firefox to its default settings.
SEARCHRESET DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open another web page from where you can download the SearchReset Firefox extension)
Remove V9 Portal Site from Google Chrome
- Remove V9 Portal Site extension from Google Chrome.
Click the Chrome menu button on the browser toolbar, select Tools and then click on Extensions.
In the Extensions tab, remove Proxy Tool and any other unknown extensions by clicking on the Recycle Bin at the end of the row.
- Set Google Chrome default search engine from search.V9.com to Google.
Click the Chrome menu button, then select Settings and click on Manage search engines in the Search section.
In the Search Engines dialog that appears, select Google and click the Make Default button that appears in the row.
Search for V9 in the Search Engines list, and click the X button that appears at the end of the row.
- Change Google Chrome homepage from en.v9.com to its default.
V9 Portal Site has modified your Google settings to open their webpage whenever you start your browser, so we will need to revert this change.
Click the Chrome menu button, then select Settings and click on One the New Tab page in the On Startup section.
STEP 3: Clean up the various Windows shortcuts that have been hijacked by V9 Portal Site
- Search for your browser shortcut (Desktop, Taskbar or Start Menu Shortcut), then right click on it and select Properties.
- In the Shortcut tab, in the Target field, remove the http://www.en.v9.com/…… argument.
STEP 4: Get rid of the V9 Portal Site hijack from your computer
Run a computer scan with AdwCleaner to remove V9 Portal Site
The AdwCleaner utility will scan your computer for V9 Portal Site files and registry keys, that may have been installed on your computer without your knowledge.
- You can download AdwCleaner utility from the below link.
ADWCLEANER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download AdwCleaner on your computer)
- Before starting AdwCleaner, close all open programs and internet browsers, then double-click on the AdwCleaner icon.
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run AdwCleaner, please allow it to run.
- When the AdwCleaner program will open, click on the Search button as shown below.
The program will now start to search for V9 Portal Site files that may be installed on your computer. When it has finished it will display a notepad screen that contains a log file of all the V9 Portal Site extensions, files, and registry keys that have been detected. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, please close the Notepad window and continue with the next step.
- To remove the V9 Portal Site malicious files that were detected in the previous step, please click on the Delete button on the AdwCleaner screen.
AdwCleaner will now prompt you to save any open files or data as the program will need to reboot the computer. Please do so and then click on the OK button.
- AdwCleaner will now delete all detected adware from your computer. When it is done it will display an alert that explains what PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) and Adware are. Please read through this information and then press the OK button. You will now be presented with an alert that states AdwCleaner needs to reboot your computer.
Please click on the OK button to let AdwCleaner reboot your computer.
Remove V9 Portal Site with Junkware Removal Tool
Junkware Removal Tool is a powerful utility, which will remove V9 Portal Site from Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome, and will double-check for any other compromised Windows shortcuts.
- You can download the Junkware Removal Tool utility from the below link:
JUNKWARE REMOVAL TOOL DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download the Junkware Removal Tool utility on your computer)
- Once Junkware Removal Tool has finished downloading, please double-click on the JRT.exe icon as seen below.
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run Junkware Removal Tool, please allow it to run.
- Junkware Removal Tool will now start, and at the Command Prompt, you’ll need to press any key to perform a scan for the V9 Portal Site virus.
Please be patient as this can take a while to complete (up to 10 minutes) depending on your system’s specifications.
- When the scan Junkware Removal Tool will be completed, this utility will display a log with the malicious files and registry keys that were removed from your computer.
STEP 5: Remove V9 Portal Site malicious files from your computer
Run a computer scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to remove V9 Portal Site
- You can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free from the below link,then double click on it to install this program.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free)
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the setup process.
Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing, click on the Finish button.
- On the Scanner tab, select Perform quick scan and then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer as shown below.
- When the Malwarebytes scan will be completed,click on Show Result.
- You will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware has detected.Please note that the infections found may be different than what is shown in the image.Make sure that everything is Checked (ticked) and click on the Remove Selected button.
Run a computer scan with HitmanPro to remove V9 Portal Site
- You can download HitmanPro from the below link, then double click on it to start this program.
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download HitmanPro)
- HitmanPro will start and you’ll need to follow the prompts (by clicking on the Next button) to start a system scan with this program.
- HitmanPro will start scanning your computer for malware, as seen in the image below.
- Once the scan is complete,you’ll see a screen which will display all the infected files that this utility has detected, and you’ll need to click on Next to remove these malicious files.
- Click Activate free licenseto start the free 30 days trial and remove all the malicious files from your computer.
Your computer should now be free of the V9 Portal Site infection. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.
If you are still experiencing problems while trying to remove V9 Portal Site virus from your machine, please start a new thread in our Malware Removal Assistance forum.