Serious Discussion “Strongest” security solution.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

I don't want to waste my time....
There is no time, that is a man made item. It is a waste even thinking of something that does not exist. Just like now, there is no now, by the time you finish saying it, it is now past. There is only past and future. Someone asks me, do i have the time, i answer, i didnt this morning when i woke up, i certainly dont seem to have it now in my pocket, no i dont believe i have the time, do you happen to have it.

George Carlin was the best, if you dont get the referrence on time ;)

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
I dont think I need to purchase a anti-malware product, and then a anti-hacking product. Im just some random guy who isnt going to have some super experienced hacker try to gain the non-existant personal information thats on my pc.
OpenEDR costs only $4/PC/month postpaid; it has several modules, anti-malware being one of them.

You know about the non-existant personal information, but the hacker doesn't know until he hacks you. :)

You may not need the 'strongest' anti-malware, you just need one that could stop the java malware aimed at your minecraft.

Give OpenEDR a try. It has a Auto Containment feature which virtualizes new/unknown apps so they can't harm the system. Don't know if it will virtualize unknown java apps. If you have old malware java samples, you can test it.

OpenEDR is the new incarnation of Comodo Internet Security. It has been favorably reviewed by cruelsister here : App Review - A Comodo Firewall Beta 2 Quick Dance and by Shadowra here: App Review - Comodo Firewall BETA 2024 (Modified Settings)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

OpenEDR costs only $4/PC/month postpaid; it has several modules, anti-malware being one of them.

You know about the non-existant personal information, but the hacker doesn't know until he hacks you. :)
If the user insists on playing with live malware and sending his credentials to C&C servers I could understand this thought process, otherwise I would certainly state sometimes it's a bit much and to be careful before helmets and medication are required for what would be deemed socially unacceptable paranoid behavior.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
I'm a proponent of that hardware security trumps all other security. Get a Mac with Apple Silicon. A modern CPU with a modern architecture and an integrated, dedicated security enclave. X96 is fundamentally flawed and can never be fixed.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023

You may not need the 'strongest' anti-malware, you just need one that could stop the java malware aimed at your minecraft.

Give OpenEDR a try. It has a Auto Containment feature which virtualizes new/unknown apps so they can't harm the system. Don't know if it will virtualize unknown java apps. If you have old malware java samples, you can test it.

OpenEDR is the new incarnation of Comodo Internet Security. It has been favorably reviewed by cruelsister here : App Review - A Comodo Firewall Beta 2 Quick Dance and by Shadowra here: App Review - Comodo Firewall BETA 2024 (Modified Settings)
I'll give OpenEDR a try eventually. I dont believe it will stop the java apps as they are ran through a trusted source, which is minecraft. I'd have to whitelist the application if it was blocked anyway. The Containment Feature is pretty nice though, although I can replicate it with Kaspersky Default Deny if I continue to use that product.
The Threat Hunting/EDR will be nice incase of hacking. I have ran malware on a VM that might have had C2 connection without knowing the risks a while back. I've made posts in malware removal to check my network and system for any hacks, and they've said im fully clean, but I dont know if im 100% in the clear speaking as nothing has happened now, but im not sure if it will happen in the future.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I'll give OpenEDR a try eventually. I dont believe it will stop the java apps as they are ran through a trusted source, which is minecraft. I'd have to whitelist the application if it was blocked anyway. The Containment Feature is pretty nice though, although I can replicate it with Kaspersky Default Deny if I continue to use that product.
The Threat Hunting/EDR will be nice incase of hacking. I have ran malware on a VM that might have had C2 connection without knowing the risks a while back. I've made posts in malware removal to check my network and system for any hacks, and they've said im fully clean, but I dont know if im 100% in the clear speaking as nothing has happened now, but im not sure if it will happen in the future.

Otherwise, if you don't know what it's all about, use VirusTotal & Hybrid Analyses, which will teach you how malware works, especially if it's a Trojan/RAT or Infostealers....

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Otherwise, if you don't know what it's all about, use VirusTotal & Hybrid Analyses, which will teach you how malware works, especially if it's a Trojan/RAT or Infostealers....
I use those if I find a unknown sample, along with K OpenTip and Sophos Intellix.
If I want to learn about malware, ill use those sandboxes like VT and Hybrid, along with maybe Triage.

Reactions: Shadowra

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
It’s between CheckPoint and Kaspersky since both use Kaspersky’s engine
Basically if paid just go harmony
Haven't checked Kaspersky pricing but you can get the advanced version of checkpoint with insane technologies integrated
and you aren't missing as they base some off Kaspersky
Its basically enhanced Kaspersky with Israeli tech

But since you have more then enough solutions for basically free well
I would go free route unless you want something extreme

Reactions: simmerskool

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Basically if paid just go harmony
Haven't checked Kaspersky pricing but you can get the advanced version of checkpoint with insane technologies integrated
and you aren't missing as they base some off Kaspersky
Its basically enhanced Kaspersky with Israeli tech

But since you have more then enough solutions for basically free well
I would go free route unless you want something extreme
I know Harmony pretty well but what are the advanced technologies again?

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Content Disarm & Reconstruction (CDR) across email and web
  • Threat Emulation (sandBox)
  • Threat Extraction (Sanitizes files in 1.5 seconds)
Their threat emulation is pretty powerful

They could prevent at cloud level on the advanced client

A lot of attacks and everything else they offer is at least as good as the competition

Last edited by a moderator:

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Content Disarm & Reconstruction (CDR) across email and web

• Threat Emulation (sandBox)
  • Threat Extraction (Sanitizes files in 1.5 seconds)

Their threat emulation is pretty powerful
They could prevent at cloud level on the advanced client
A lot of attacks and everything else they offer is at least as good as the competition
Is their native BB good aswell? I think @Trident has praised it highly.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
@Shadowra have you used Harmony on your main gaming PC? If so, whats the performance like.

Yes, I've used it, and it doesn't consume a lot of RAM. I found it quite light.
On the other hand, be careful with the configuration :) I paid the price, I had everything set to max, and the Harmony/ZA firewall slowed down my Fibre connection considerably....

Reactions: Dave Russo and Nevi

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Yes, I've used it, and it doesn't consume a lot of RAM. I found it quite light.
On the other hand, be careful with the configuration :) I paid the price, I had everything set to max, and the Harmony/ZA firewall slowed down my Fibre connection considerably....
Should I use Trident's Policy?

Reactions: Dave Russo
F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Right now it’s leaning towards Checkpoint Harmony. When I get my new PC, I’ll trial it and see if the performance impacts gaming. If it does, I’ll keep Kaspersky.
Xeno1234, my young friend, all I desire is to see you happy! :)

It should lean towards the right one ;)... Harmony sounds like a musical mistress, while Kaspersky sounds like a salacious seductress! ;):)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.