After an infection...

After an infection...

• You turn off the computer

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • You run your AV Scan

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • You run an on-demand scanner

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • You chuck out the computer- it's done!

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • You reinstall your OS

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • You do nothing- whatever!

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • You are in a VM! Trick Question!

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • What is an infection?

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • You scream and yell

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • You pay the ransom (if it is ransomware)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
S

SkyJP

1) Turn off my computer.

2) Boot from a custom recovery USB with Linux, utilities, and run scans from the MANY rescue CDs on that USB.

3) Hope nothing survives.

D

Deleted member 178

Wipe, format and reinstall so im sure nothing is left (unless i unlucky to got a bioskit but i dont think it will happen).
The reinstall will lighten my system of all remnants of tested softwares.

Also my security setup will be clean and lean, my system strong as before but lighter.

I

illumination

First and foremost, disconnect from the internet, not only is it the responsible thing to do to protect others from your misfortune, but it also prevents the infection from phoning home. Then i will try to utilize what i already have on the system to eradicate the infection, if this fails, i will then pull out my toolkit "flash drive" and attempt to do so either directly, or via safe mode. After removing the infection, if the damage to the system is minimal, i will repair the files and move on with my day, if it is extensive damage done to the file system, i will then reformat instead of wasting time trying to repair it. I keep all of my personal files backed up constantly on external devices and not directly on the system ,so there is no need to worry of it being taken, nor any worry of having to reformat if needed.

M

MalwareT

I never formatted any of my OSs i used (thunder destroyed PSU on my first machine).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.