Antivirus which can disinfect valid files without deleting them

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
I guess that it's not possible most of the time since it involves a phase where it attempts to handle file contents to be recovered and that's dangerous. In other words, it's a file reconstruction attempt. The result is not guaranteed and it depends on the format.
You should note that a simple information removal or alteration will render the file unusable (corrupt). Besides that, most heuristics-based products flag corrupt files (files that do not respect the PE specifications) and that's why some vendors use two additional categorizations such as unknown (malware) and unknown (goodware).

Reactions: Daniel Hidalgo

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Usually i use to help my friends when they are stuck with there PC due to virus infection and most of the time AV will remove the virus but at the same time some valid files will be deleted.
My question is there any AV which can disinfect the valid files( pdf, doc, xls etc) without deleting it ?

Thread title changed to "Antivirus which can disinfect valid files without deleting them". The original title was a bit misleading.
The OP's question was not what AV provides the best disinfection but "My question is there any AV which can disinfect the valid files( pdf, doc, xls etc) without deleting it ?"
To stay on topic replies should be to the above question and no what AV they feel provides the best disinfection

Reactions: vivid
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Thread title changed to "Antivirus which can disinfect valid files without deleting them". The original title was a bit misleading.
The OP's question was not what AV provides the best disinfection but "My question is there any AV which can disinfect the valid files( pdf, doc, xls etc) without deleting it ?"
To stay on topic replies should be to the above question and no what AV they feel provides the best disinfection

Like I said, some AVs will attempt to do it - like Kaspersky - but in 99.999 % of the cases I have seen the original file is not recoverable due to corruption (damage).

Back-up valuable documents as a course of habit(file backup) - and be sure not to backup malware (system backup) !!!!!

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Usually i use to help my friends when they are stuck with there PC due to virus infection and most of the time AV will remove the virus but at the same time some valid files will be deleted.

my question is there any AV which can disinfect the valid files( pdf, doc, xls etc) without deleting it ?
the best way you can retrieve deleted documents is system restore, only from vista and higher not XP.
of course that if the virus did not disable system restore.
as for the question I don't know but I think MSE has a good ability to disinfect.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
the best way you can retrieve deleted documents is system restore, only from vista and higher not XP.
of course that if the virus did not disable system restore.

Correct me if I'm wrong but documents are not covered by System Restore (only executables, dlls, settings)

Best way to retrieve these infected docs is through backups, did you make a backup in the first place?

Reactions: nissimezra

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Tested System Restore. Moved some files around, made some changes. After Restoring, here what I got

System%252520Restore%2525207252015%25252025102%252520PM.jpg

only *.reg files are restored

I'm using Windows 7

JD15

Level 1
Verified
Jul 12, 2015
I believe a lot of people have suggested good choices of AV's that can disinfect valid files regardless of what type of files. If there is any AV's out there that can disinfect most files rather then quarantine then I am sure the choices of AV suggested by users would disinfect the valid files( pdf, doc, xls etc) without deleting it. :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I believe a lot of people have suggested good choices of AV's that can disinfect valid files regardless of what type of files. If there is any AV's out there that can disinfect most files rather then quarantine then I am sure the choices of AV suggested by users would disinfect the valid files( pdf, doc, xls etc) without deleting it. :)

The reason for my above reply was because the original thread title was "Antivirus with the best disinfection" and then contained this question in the reply "My question is there any AV which can disinfect the valid files( pdf, doc, xls etc) without deleting it ?"
I agree that many suggested good AV choices for disinfection but the one or two word responses such as "AV X & AV Y " seemed to be based off the original thread title and not answering the OP's question.
This was just a heads up for those who may have responded based on the original thread title and not the question that the OP was really asking.

Like I said, some AVs will attempt to do it - like Kaspersky - but in 99.999 % of the cases I have seen the original file is not recoverable due to corruption (damage).

Back-up valuable documents as a course of habit(file backup) - and be sure not to backup malware (system backup) !!!!!

I agree.Backing up your clean files is extremely important and as you said recovering the original clean file from a backup will be your only option due to corruption of the file.
Most AV's will attempt to disinfect the file and if it cannot be disinfected then it will be deleted.
Correct me if I am wrong but the majority of infected files cannot be disinfected because they contain nothing but the infected code.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Correct me if I am wrong but the majority of infected files cannot be disinfected because they contain nothing but the infected code.

@exterminator20 you are correct... (essentially) nothing but infected code.

It is best to just ditch the whole file - really - as it is mostly an exercise in futility to disinfect PDFs and docs. It depends upon the exact nature\type of infection and whether or not the vendor includes a robust removal routine in their soft that covers PDFs\docs.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I can understand why someone would want to disinfect an important document. It's just not realistic to expect that the disinfected document will be usable.

In any case, I circumvent the whole infected document scenario by simply not using Microsoft Office and Adobe products - without any significant loss of pdf or various doc type functionality.

Instead I use WPS and NitroPDF. In my case, if a PDF or doc is infected, it does not execute and\or the exploit is "inert" since the infection does not function with any other PDF\doc softs except the one for which it was coded (MS, Adobe).

Other PDF\doc softs very likely can be compromised, but malware authors do not target them - for it is not financially worthwhile to target apps that are installed on only a small % of all systems. Malware writers need to cast the widest net possible to get "paid" = they target the most widely distributed softs with vulnerabilities that they can actually exploit.

Makes sense, doesn't it ?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.