Battle Avast Free or 360 TSE (Config Mentioned)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Avast Free---

Custom Install---

File Shield
Web Shield - HTTPS disabled
PUP enabled
Rest default settings
Popups/Ads disabled (AvastUI.exe outbound connection blocked in Win FW to avoid popups/ads)

360 TSE---

Custom Mode---

Bd enabled (Realtime/Ondemand)
File Protection disabled
Registry Protection disabled
{File protection & Registry protection are HIPS features i.e all those creating/modifying this/that popups. And I dont want HIPS features so disabled}
Rest default settings

Avast Free or 360 TSE?

Plzz suggest only on the basis of protection with the above mentioned config of the products.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Considering i use linux this comment may seem as irrelevant,However input from any angle is always good and constructive.
I refuse to use chinese software so qihoo is a non starter in my book and suggestions to the contrary are futile.

Avast like so many "security" products has gone down the road to adville with no chance of redemption or escape.The stone has been set and their downfall is only a matter of time.
I tried avast on a friends windows 10 machine and the in your face advertising is both disrespectful and incredibly annoying.This is terrible tactics by a so-called security company and may they be totally ashamed of themselves.For goodness sake even google does not do that.:mad:
I literally could not see the settings in avast because of the constant adware garbage.
Alas poor avast i knew you so well but ta da your time has come and off you must go to the junkpile without any dignity ot grace.

Thanks.;)

Reactions: Andrew999

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
My vote clearly goes for Qihoo 360 TSE, as it provides great engines, fast updates and a very good customer service.
Can't tell about bugs, FPs (only a few after a fresh install).
Smooth running, not noticeable system impact, blazingly fast scans.
That's for both my older PC as well as my Notebook (ok for surfing, watching movies etc. but definitely no games).

Settings maxed out, Security Mode, all engines (including BD + Avira) enabled.

Programme Version is 7.2.0.1021 (Essential)

Attachments

• Unbenannt2.JPG
    Unbenannt2.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 381
  • Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Just conduct an offline detection test with 360 TS and you can see how ineffective the 360TS is no matter all the engines installed and updated. Just test for yourself and you can realize this. Where as Avast is vigorous and spot on even during offline. As some others here said 360TS also had large number of False positives. Personally I would recommend Avast over 360TS.

Last edited:
Reactions: XhenEd

flik

Level 1
Jul 25, 2012
How do you disable the registry protection on 360 security?
It gives a lot of false alarms, during the installation of some programs. And I was going to recommend to some novice users.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
How do you disable the registry protection on 360 security?
It gives a lot of false alarms, during the installation of some programs. And I was going to recommend to some novice users.
You will have to use Custom Mode to do that. I find FileProtection & RegistryProtection are HIPS features & gives those popups creating/modifying this/that, etc... You can disable these in Custom Mode. Do remember to click apply after changes. You have to run 360 in Custom Mode. You cannot enable/disable options in other modes.

Avast is overall better than 360 in my opinion.
I am running Avast Free now.

davetenay

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2015
I've alternated both products for a while. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Avast is very light and use very few ram. Good protection and few false positive. Its problem are the frequent and annoying popups that other people already reported. Nowadays these popups are even bigger. I noticed that I get these popups every time avast updates its signatures, so many times per day.
Quihoo for its part offers good protection too (with the exception of adware and pua) and with just one engine enabled is light as feather. The downsides are the false positives (especially with steam games) the use of ram if you enable the other engines and the outdated BD and especially Avira signatures. There is a thread on wilders, where it is explained that the date reported on the interface and in the log of 360, is just the date the software looks for updates and not the date of signatures (also when the program says it has updated its signatures, that's not always true, it just checked for new signatures).
Don't know now, but there was a time in July, where Avira signatures were behind of more than one month.
Finally if I have to trust someone I would prefer to go with Avast than Qihoo, but this is just my personal thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Butterfly
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
davetenay,

Why dont you block AvastUI.exe connection to avoid Avast popups/ads, etc...? It doesn't affects any other Avast functions. I use Avast this way & no probs & no popups/ads, craps, etc...

davetenay

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2015
davetenay,

Why dont you block AvastUI.exe connection to avoid Avast popups/ads, etc...? It doesn't affects any other Avast functions. I use Avast this way & no probs & no popups/ads, craps, etc...

Thanks for the trick. Now I'm just using windows defender. If I install Avast again I will try your solution.

flik

Level 1
Jul 25, 2012
You will have to use Custom Mode to do that. I find FileProtection & RegistryProtection are HIPS features & gives those popups creating/modifying this/that, etc... You can disable these in Custom Mode. Do remember to click apply after changes. You have to run 360 in Custom Mode. You cannot enable/disable options in other modes.

Avast is overall better than 360 in my opinion.
I am running Avast Free now.

I tested the latest 360 TS and I couldn't find the custom mode setup.
I remember it in the previous versions of 360 products but not now.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I tested the latest 360 TS and I couldn't find the custom mode setup.
I remember it in the previous versions of 360 products but not now.
You have to click on the "Protection" on the main GUI on the top left side... then click on config...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.