Avast or Eset

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I have 1 year licence of Avast AV Pro & Nod32 AV.
What would be better for my family system i.e average users?
Family system is a laptop.
Win 7 64
4 Gb RAM

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
if i were you i would choose eset over avast, even tho both products are excellent eset has better detections rates (but with hardened mode on in avast you will have an increase of detection capabilities), eset is very light on system resources and doesnt impact too much in real life usage... however i may suggest you to test both as you can see which one can fit your requirements as we cant really tell how they will impact your pc because we dont know the health of the system and hardware...

my opinion: ESET :D with no doubt

L

LabZero

Thread author
I prefer NOD32, is extremely light on resources and has a minimal impact on your system's operation and it has very good malware scan rating.

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
i would go with avast(costum install) if u change the settings right its stronger than ESET(Hardern mode,Warns for download with low reputation etc).

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
if i were you i would choose eset over avast, even tho both products are excellent eset has better detections rates (but with hardened mode on in avast you will have an increase of detection capabilities), eset is very light on system resources and doesnt impact too much in real life usage... however i may suggest you to test both as you can see which one can fit your requirements as we cant really tell how they will impact your pc because we dont know the health of the system and hardware...

my opinion: ESET :D with no doubt
Hardened mode will block softwares & they install quite a few softwares?
By the way, which hardened mode & why?
Does enabling this option could affect windows updates in any way? Coz I dont want that.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
i would go with avast(costum install) if u change the settings right its stronger than ESET(Hardern mode,Warns for download with low reputation etc).
Is there an option to warn for download with low reputation? On what basis does it warns?
Does enabling this option could affect windows updates in any way? Coz I dont want that.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Hardened mode will block softwares & they install quite a few softwares?
By the way, which hardened mode & why?
well no, hardened mode somehow block real malware... sometimes times (rarely) it blocks good soft, what you may find is a win32:evo_gen(susp) signatures that may flag good soft as malware but that is heuristic (signature) not hardened mode if you set up hardened mode to aggressive you may expect more FP than if you set it to normal (moderate)... and dont think that hardened mode will do something against windows updates...

BUT avast in the past had some reported problems with windows updates being flagged as suspicious by file rep... i think that it is fixed now, dont panic you know soft may contain bugs from time to time, however it will warm you if the case stated happens

Reactions: Kardo Kristal
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
This is a post from one of a well known Avast forum member RejZoR
According to this, Aggressive is better than Moderate

"I'll go in more detail here.

Hardened Mode is designed to make protection tougher without interfering with the computer usage much.
avast! by default checks suspicious files with DeepScreen within virtual environment to see how they behave. But if you use Hardened Mode, it starts to behave a bit differently.

Hardened Mode: Moderate
Under normal conditions, if avast! decides that some file is too suspicious by various characteristics, it then throws it into the DeepScren for further scanning. But if Moderate Hardened Mode is enabled, avast! automatically blocks files that are detected as suspicious by preliminary analysis.
In most cases DeepScreen checks the file and if it doesn't find obvious malicious problems with it, those files are started automatically after analysis. But Hardened Mode (Moderate) blocks it right there.

Hardened Mode: Aggressive
This mode behaves a bit differently. It actually relies on analysis on a very small scale and mostly relies on a huge whitelist database located in avast! Cloud. If file is located within the cloud and flagged as safe, it will allow to run it. If it's not found or marked as bad, it will block it. So, at least based on my experience, Aggressive Mode is actually much more secure and also a lot less intrusive. Only time that it will cause problems is with some very rare old software or very very new software that isn't used by thousands of users. Usually some very specialized programs used by only few users.
Moderate mode often feels a bit too paranoid (despite its name) because it often blocks safe programs just because they exhibit local suspicious file characteristics that are basically ignored by the Aggressive mode.

Only thing that confuses me is why Moderate mode doesn't rely on the same whitelist to avoid these suspicious blockings. In my case, i prefer to use Aggresssive mode and i have done so on many systems and it worked like charm. No problems, no excessive blocking but with superior protection."

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
IMO if you have a license for both then use ESET Nod32 AV.However since you have a license for both your in a position to give each one a good trial run and see which works better for your Family. I use ESET on my wife & Kids desktop and they have no problems. If I had to choose a free Antivirus for them then I would go with Avast

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Actually the better & easy to use, I will install on family laptop & the other one on mine.
Given the reponse here, I am going to install Nod32 on family laptop & Avast on cousin laptop.

I will install Comodo on my laptop minus AV.

Thanxx a lot frds for valuable suggestions & time.

Reactions: Exterminator

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
xyXHevN.png

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Why not install ESET NOD32 and Avast! 30-day trials and evaluate each one on your system before activating a license?

Unless those licenses will expire within the next 60 days or so I would try each one out.

I would bet that ESET performs better on your system.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
In Avast CONS, what is Sandbox set to allow?

Why not install ESET NOD32 and Avast! 30-day trials and evaluate each one on your system before activating a license?

Unless those licenses will expire within the next 60 days or so I would try each one out.

I would bet that ESET performs better on your system.
I have Nod32 on one system, though task manager shows around 100k for its service process but everything is running light.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hjlbx

Thread author
I have Nod32 on one system, though task manager shows around 100k for its service process but everything is running light.

CPU usage much more important than RAM...unless you are consistently using most of system's memory capacity.

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I think that Eset is better but is very subjective. ESET is pretty fast on zero day but in the other hand hardened mode in AVAST is a very god defense against new/unknown threats.
both are great despite ESET has slightly better signatures.

(you can tried both 30 days trial)

Ps: currently I have ESET NOD, but also have used avast.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
CPU usage much more important than RAM...unless you are consistently using most of system's memory capacity.
I dont know how to check cpu usage.
Its below 10 on idle. If I refresh a browser page, sometimes it goes to 30, sometimes 50, sometimes 70 & back to normal but things feel light.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well if you want to configure in such complex then go to Avast as it tends to be blend with their detection/prevention capabilities meanwhile if you want very streamline and fast reaction time detection then go for ESET. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.