App Review AVG vs AVIRA Detection test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
that launcher is not really needed... just wondering why they added launcher :D
It's even in the paid version!!:mad:
I tried uninstalling it but it wont let you,and breaks the AV component of the softwre!!
They are obviously doing it to promote other products for you to purchase,I think!!??;)
Futhermore,it consumes Video Card memory!!:rolleyes:
Cheers!!:)

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Sorry for going off-topic but I could not help quote one post on avira launcher.Agreed it's not needed : Post

I know! I'm so glad Avira can be used seperate of that side Launcher thing...:D

Bitdefender free I like its simple install forget protection but it has this Login box you can't opt out, you have to be signed in or AV engine wont update or fully work, so if auto-login stops working, its a downgrade in security. :eek:

A program software should work on installation, not if you have email address logged in... :p

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
AVG has significantly improved signatures and other detection methods. By far (at least in my opinion), AVG has the lowest false positives. That alone was enough to impress me. Not a single file on my computer that normally is detected as FP was detected by AVG (unlike ALL other AV).

As for the slow removal, yes it's slow but with advanced removal that is ok. AVG and any other vendors did NOT intend for you to run or scan a folder full of malware. They must protect the user, not cater to AV testers. Myself being a AV tester as well, I do not mind as long as it does the job, and AVG does do the job. It is also one of few that really gets it hands dirty in killing off adware.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
AVG has significantly improved signatures and other detection methods. By far (at least in my opinion), AVG has the lowest false positives. That alone was enough to impress me. Not a single file on my computer that normally is detected as FP was detected by AVG (unlike ALL other AV).

As for the slow removal, yes it's slow but with advanced removal that is ok. AVG and any other vendors did NOT intend for you to run or scan a folder full of malware. They must protect the user, not cater to AV testers. Myself being a AV tester as well, I do not mind as long as it does the job, and AVG does do the job. It is also one of few that really gets it hands dirty in killing off adware.

Well, yea I agreed with you.
Thank you @OokamiCreed :D

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Well, yea I agreed with you.
Thank you @OokamiCreed :D

Really hope you didn't take any insult from that last part. That wasn't directed at you (or anyone else), it was just a general comment. While testing a few AV that have advanced disinfection/advanced removal, etc, I started to think that despite being very annoyed with the slow process, it got the job done and well... that protects the user.

Some uninstallers also take some time to remove remnants from the OS registry/file system. An AV has to make sure to do the job right or it could mean the compromised system could still be in a bad way. This is why I think the process is slow. The real test (which would take a considerable amount of time) would be to see if AVG really does do the job correctly and if it's worth the time.

If not, then the time it takes to remove is unjustified. However, as long as any remnants that could do harm are removed, AVG should be looked upon positively, not negatively. AVG can't be perfect (that is just how coding is) but it should be able to kill any adware/malware from doing any further damage. I'm confident that AVG can do this for the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.