Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
AdwCleaner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge: N/A.
Internet Explorer: Norton IdentitySafe.
Vivaldi: uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Norton Toolbar, Norton IdentitySafe and Norton Default Search Engine.
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Windows Disk Clean-up, Norton Security, Revo Uninstaller (MT Giveaway), Internet Download Manager (MT Giveaway).
File and Photo backup
OneDrive and File History
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper Standard

Shran

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
ConnectSafe is weird... sometimes it shows a block message after a long time, other times the website straight up won't load.

I'll try to get a block message to show up so I can screenshot it for you

C

CySecy825

Thread author
I can say that Tornados Config is so Heavy armed castle that it defeat all malwares

Sorry Bad english

Thanks

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Update 3 05/02/2016:

Removed: AdGuard (for now)
Added: Binsoft Windows Firewall Control

ConnectSafe is weird... sometimes it shows a block message after a long time, other times the website straight up won't load.

I'll try to get a block message to show up so I can screenshot it for you
I know but at least they get blocked (kind of) and it is extra protection :) Can you show me a block message, I've never had one.

When I put BWFC on Medium Filtering (recommended) Chrome will not connect and how do I create rules to allow, it even blocks ZAM from cloud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CySecy825

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I have added a lot of exclusions on my security software to help prevent problems and in-compatibility issues (I didn't have many anyway) :)
it is not just compatibility issues with existing software. its the overall install/uninstall/leave stuff behind etc.
Factor HDD into equation and you will start seeing the system degrading.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Removed: Binsoft Windows Firewall Control, not adding anything else for a while now, added more exclusions and gone through my hard drive deleted traces left behind from uninstalled software.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
The famous "windows-rot" will set in more quickly if you are going to install uninstall so many softs regularly... hope you have good backups.

Reactions: XavierGaming

XavierGaming

Level 3
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
The famous "windows-rot" will set in more quickly if you are going to install uninstall so many softs regularly... hope you have good backups.

If you know how it fully remove it (Registry, AppData, and etc.) you can avoid that. :D

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Nothing can be removed fully, we can't always be certain what software is modifying within the windows registry hive, it will stay modified long after softw is gone, plus some programs share common DLLs which windows serivces require, they can be corrupted or either go missing. I have been there, my last system format was because of that only, although windows worked fine you could just feel it wither, now I keep changes to windows baseline minimal using SD.

I can never be sure the system will be same under-the-hood after multiple uninstalls.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
@Tornado, try to use Hostsman instead of Adguard just use the ads filter. I'm currently using Hostsman too! :D
Well, Adguard has other stuff besides filtering ads, there's browsing security, parental control and the newly introduced stealth mode.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Tornado has the most safest security config I think :D
Not really. A layered setup is a good practise for security, but keeping it simple is better. Remember that Less is More.

Qihoo 360 Total Security, Windows Firewall, Norton ConnectSafe, Microsoft EMET, Zemana Anti-Malware Premium, Zemana Anti-Logger Premium and Windows SmartScreen, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, Norton Power Eraser, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Comodo Cleaning Essentials, HerdProtect, HitmanPro, AdwCleaner, Zemana Anti-Malware Premium and Crystal Security Portable, HTTPS Everywhere, AdGuard, Disconnect, Web of Trust, Bitdefender TrafficLight, 360 Internet Protection and Blur, Spybot Anti-Beacon.

VS

Windows Defender, Firewall and Smartscreen, Zemana Antimalware Premium, LastPass.

Both are traditional configurations but achieve the same results, the only difference is the person behind the computer. "Less is more" - Secure, Usable and Manageable.

Thanks for reading.

Edit:
Does anyone know any Chromium based browsers that are secure, apart from Comodo's range?
Google Chrome
BitTorrent (Project Maelstrom) BETA - Download Project Maelstrom
Avira Scout - Avira Scout (unless it disables Chromium security features)

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Update 06/02/2016:

Removed: Norton Power Eraser and Crystal Security Portable.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Update 2 06/02/2016:

Added: Avira Scout with Avira Browser Safety, HTTPS Everywhere, Auto-Pilot, Avira SafeSearch Plus, Web of Trust, Blur, AdGuard and 360 Internet Protection.

Can I install Avira without the Avira Launcher?

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Update 2 06/02/2016:

Added: Avira Scout with Avira Browser Safety, HTTPS Everywhere, Auto-Pilot, Avira SafeSearch Plus, Web of Trust and Blur.

If i recall correctly, you cant just uninstall the launcher on its own. Not sure, perhaps some Avira users can shed some light.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

You can use the Avira Free Offline-Installer without Avira Launcher:
avira.png
Download Avira Free Antivirus | Official Website

Reactions: JakeXPMan and Rishi

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
To be honest I agree with @Huracan in terms of choices. All you need essentially is one Av solution smart screen on one or two od scanners and basically one extension that blocks ads and trackers. Everything else added is just extra that unless you don't have good browsing habits,becomes obsolete. For a long time I used wd wf smartscreen on both main and family shared systems. Only recently went back to McAfee endpoint and added the standalone hips module cause I have access to it and its easier to manage the system remotely. I see you add a lot of solutions but then you ask straight away if this works if that has bsod or if you can install x without y. Perhaps best to try to understand how such software works in a vm instead of baremetals to just remove it within 24 hours. That way you also learn more about them. Just a suggestion

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Update 11/02/2016:

Removed: Qihoo 360 Total Security, Qihoo 360 Internet Protection and Avira Scout

Switched to: Windows Defender

Reactions: Rishi and CySecy825
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.