Babylon Toolbar - Question about infection, do not need help removing

stardusttrails

Thread author
Jul 28, 2014
To preface briefly, I do remote tech support for a living and we remove this crap on a daily basis. Therefore, I'm not looking for assistance to remove it.

However, I'm a little confused as to how any traces are on my computer. I browse in a sandbox, run Avira Free + MBAM realtime, as well as scanning frequently with every other second option tool in the book.

After running Adware Removal Tool (a tool I really don't use often regardless, but why not) it found some references to Babylon Toolbar and PCTBrowserDefender. These are two of the six registry keys it found:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extension Compatibility\{2A0F3D1B-0909-4FF4-B272-609CCE6054E7}
subkey DllName value PCTBrowserDefender.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extension Compatibility\{2EECD738-5844-4A99-B4B6-146BF802613B}
subkey DllName value BabylonToolbar.dll

There were a couple other keys, but all in the same area and you get the idea. A couple troubling me though are, one - I browse in a sandbox. Two - I've never used internet explorer past installing google chrome. Three - subkey FWLink value http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=265488 which redirects to babylon.com

The question to all of this is, how the hell does Babylon get on my computer this way? Miscellaneous information I can give is that Babylon is completely absent from any Internet Explorer settings, and I don't run executables that are unknown. This is a quite recent installation of windows from a retail disk. And last but not least, Add/Remove programs is clear of junk.

I appreciate if anyone could give me any insight into this.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.