Advice Request Best software updater

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
Quickinstaller is probably the most suitable program at the moment.
I am currently using it and I am satisfied with it.
I used to use sumo but it's gone now.
Additionally, it is constantly being developed

Reactions: Nevi and roger_m

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
1704460186404.png

Out of curiosity, I tried WingetUI and compared it to WAUManager(result below): while PatchMyPC only found 3 apps that need updating.
1704460347909.png

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Has anyone tried Updatestar Premium? I feel very sad that my paid lifetime license for Sumo is useless now.

7Oz-64

Level 1
Jan 16, 2023
I've tried the free version a few times and never liked it much. I think UCheck is a much better option.
Nowadays, UCheck is the best option, not perfect but able to check almost all software.
Just one tips, if you're using your OS for a long time, you ll have to clean temporary files and registry to avoid bad detection (mean that UCheck can find a update for a software that is already up-to-date), lot's of software keep previous executable, dll, registry key when upgrade to another version)
Otherwise, if you have done good maintenance of your OS, there is no reason for false detection.

Reactions: roger_m

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
WinGetUI is the closest alternative to SUMo in terms of applications that is supported and has hands down on one of the best User Interface I have seen. It uses common CLI package managers for Win10 & 11 like Winget, Scoop, Chocolatey, Pip, Npm, .NET Tool and PowerShell Gallery, that you let you not only to easily update any software, but also download, install and uninstall them. It works very similar to Linux package updaters.

I use a lot of portable applications on my system, and the CLI package manager, Chocolatey that's embedded in it, has support for some of the common portable packages too.

UCheck is another great option, but the free version doesn't let you install new software, if that's something that you are looking for. Although it has around 72,000 softwares in the community list, it lets you scan for updates but doesn't let you update the software.

For best possible results:
  1. Install WinGet UI to find updates & install new software and also
  2. Use UCheck portable as a scanner to search for new versions.
WingetUI package manager comparison

Last edited:

Guilhermesene

Level 1
Dec 19, 2023
Well, as SUMo no longer exists, I thought about the possibility of using PatchmyPC

Still, I decided to make my own software package that I consider important and/or that at some point I need...

In addition to having the offline installer for each of them, I can help friends and family when requested, formatting their devices in less than 10 minutes because the installation is completely silent, just selecting the programs I want to install and clicking run :)

All program installers are updated by downloading them directly from the vendor's website and even if the link changes because of the program version, the installer will be downloaded..

All programs are official, piracy-free and 100% clean of malware 😄

01.png02.png03.png

Update: Just added Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable

L65sACnTyj.png

Last edited:

Guilhermesene

Level 1
Dec 19, 2023
CCleaner, cough, cough.
Yes, it is clean. Where is malware in the package? They are official programs... downloaded directly from the supplier's official website...

w6GgPOUsoP.png

(scanning carried out in aggressive mode)

Well, if you're referring to CCleaner, personally I don't use it, and if I were to use it, it would be the portable version, just using it and then discarding it, but I left it in the package in case a friend or family member wants it.

Last edited:

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Yes, it is clean. Where is malware in the package? They are official programs... downloaded directly from the supplier's official website...

View attachment 280770
(scanning carried out in aggressive mode)

Well, if you're referring to CCleaner, personally I don't use it, and if I were to use it, it would be the portable version, just using it and then discarding it, but I left it in the package in case a friend or family member wants it.
Ccleaner was infected in the past and you downloaded that infected package from the official site.

Anyway. I just replaced the patchmypc with quickinstaller. Love it.

zkSnark

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
I had been using WingetUI. Today, tried Quickinstaller, Ucheck and WAUManager as suggested above.
WAUManager did not find any updates, so Uninstalled it.
Ucheck found mostly Beta updates, so Uninstalled it too.
Will be using WingetUI and Quickinstaller for now.

ng4ever

Level 17
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Well, as SUMo no longer exists, I thought about the possibility of using PatchmyPC

Still, I decided to make my own software package that I consider important and/or that at some point I need...

In addition to having the offline installer for each of them, I can help friends and family when requested, formatting their devices in less than 10 minutes because the installation is completely silent, just selecting the programs I want to install and clicking run :)

All program installers are updated by downloading them directly from the vendor's website and even if the link changes because of the program version, the installer will be downloaded..

All programs are official, piracy-free and 100% clean of malware 😄

View attachment 280766View attachment 280767View attachment 280768

Update: Just added Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable

View attachment 280771

Awesome where can I get it please?

How much ?

Sorry.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.