Mini Spy

Latest Threads

Browser Scanners

Discussion in 'Other Security Related Discussions' started by darkelixa, Aug 30, 2011.

1. darkelixa

darkelixa Regular Member

Hi I was wondering say you use an antivirus and it is not compatible with the web browser you are using, eg google chrome do you lose protection? Eg F secure and Google Chrome do not work together and F secure only uses Firefox or Internet Explorer

2. jamescv7

jamescv7 Active Member

You mean the plugin for an antivirus that was not compatible to a browser like Google Chrome.

Well using Firefox and IE with compatible Browsing Protection have a maximum protection but using GC its like your losing it since you will depend on the realtime of your AV. Once you download a file there.

3. darkelixa

darkelixa Regular Member

In a sense yes a plugin. F secure has a tool bar and a built in page blocker but does not work in google chrome. Which really sucks

4. jamescv7

jamescv7 Active Member

Even Zonealarm their plugin also not compatible in Google Chrome. Hopefully all security products in the future they make it compatible to Chrome.

5. darkelixa

darkelixa Regular Member

Really Limits your options on which Antivirus you can use if you use Google Chrome. Only really Kaspersky, Avast, Avira

6. iPanik

iPanik Administrator

It depends on how the web filtering is implemented. Some antiviruses does their filtering from a toolbar in the browser, others like Avast and ESET install a driver on the computer that does the filtering independent of the browser. They are both good solutions, the first one just require more maintenance. I can imagine that f-secure relies on a toolbar, in which case you do lose protection if the toolbar is not showing.

7. darkelixa

darkelixa Regular Member

Norton is brining Google Chrome support in there next version but i think its only a safe search tool bar and nothing else. F secure im not sure on as if its a malicious link a F secure page comes up to say it has been blocked

8. Littlebits

Littlebits Super Moderator MalwareTips Staff

Explained very accurate, in my opinion I believe Web Shields, Web Guards, Web Proxy Servers in AV's are much stronger than just using a toolbar to protect your browser because they protect all web activity like instance messengers, email clients and any other program that connects to the web.

Thanks.:D

9. darkelixa

darkelixa Regular Member

So with the toolbar not working in F secure, the computer is still just as secure as with it not installed? Its new deepguard is ment to have a cloud scanner

10. jamescv7

jamescv7 Active Member

Panda Cloud have their toolbar with URL filtering, the good thing is you can unchecked the toolbar and leave with URL filtering also compatible to Google Chrome (As far as I know).

11. darkelixa

darkelixa Regular Member

Nice thinking of Testing F secure in Google Chrome. Are there any web filtering addons for Google Chrome?

12. jamescv7

jamescv7 Active Member

Trafficlight (Bitdefender) for Google Chrome will work well.

13. darkelixa

darkelixa Regular Member

Installed Trafficlight with Adblock plus. Great combination

14. win7holic

win7holic

i just using AdBlock Plus and WOT for my Firefox 6.
    avast webrep still not compatible with new version of firefox.

15. jamescv7

jamescv7 Active Member

For the temporary band aid solution you can try to about:config, extensions.checkCompatibility.6.0 (or any number depends on the version your using) make it boolean and set it to false.

16. win7holic

win7holic

No.
    i just wait until avast release new version and can use webrep on firefox 6.

17. Umbra Polaris

Umbra Polaris Security Configuration Expert MalwareTips Staff

it is silly to say that, like you said you will not eat this hot-dog because it has a new flavour not officially distributed :D