Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Critoni-Is-the-Most-Advanced-Crypto-Malware-Says-Kaspersky-452108-2.jpg

The recently discovered Critoni malware, that relies on a strong encryption method and on TOR network for anonymous communication with the command and control (C&C) server, has been seen to aim primarily at Russian-speaking users.

The sample, analyzed by Kaspersky, sports a number of features that distinguish it from similar file-encrypting malware.

First of all, Critoni, identified by the products of the security firm as “Trojan-Ransom.Win32.Onion,” includes all the necessary code for communication with the C&C server over the TOR (The Onion Router) anonymous network via a separate thread.

Other threats using TOR simply launch the legitimate “tor.exe” file, sometimes injected in other processes, to achieve anonymous communication.

Another particularity is the compression of the targeted files prior to encryption. Each item is moved to a temporary location and they are read one block at a time. The next stage involves compressing each block and then encrypting it.

The result is an encrypted item with the CTLB extension, which has the service information for decryption at the beginning of the file.

Critoni/Onion is also different from malware of the same category in regard to the cryptographic scheme used, since it does not rely on the combination of AES and RSA algorithms, but uses one of the most powerful algorithms, the Elliptic curve Diffie–Hellman (ECDH).

After generating the master public/private encryption keys, each file is locked with a new pair of keys (session public/private) and then the shared secret (session secret) is calculated from the master public and session private. None of the private keys are saved locally, nor is the shared secret.

To better understand the principle, Fedor Sinitsyn of Kaspersky provides the following equality:

ECDH(master-public, session-private) = session-shared = ECDH(master-private, session-public)

As such, the only way to decrypt the data is to have the master private key, which is not available locally but sent after being generated, in a secure manner that relies on the same ECDH principle, to the C&C server of the cybercriminals. The sad conclusion is that the encrypted information cannot be decrypted.

According to telemetry from Kaspersky, most infections are in the Commonwealth of Independent States, Russia being at the top of the list.

Researchers show that on July 20, 2014, the most infected computers were localized in Russia (24), followed by Ukraine (19), Belarus (9) and Kazakhstan (7).

The figures are low at this time, but the new variant is currently just starting to spread, and larger numbers of infected machines are expected in the near future.

Fedor Sinitsyn, who analyzed the new malware strain, says that these results “are provided for the verdict ‘Trojan-Ransom.Win32.Onion’ only. The number of users attacked by the encryptor is in fact greater, as malicious packers with different verdicts are used to spread the malware.”

There are also unknown samples of the encryptor, which are identified with a generic signature name, and these statistics have not been taken into consideration.

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Crit...ed-Crypto-Malware-Says-Kaspersky-452108.shtml

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Malware writters are getting better and badder

Reactions: Nico@FMA
D

Deleted member 178

this is not so elaborated, this is just a Cryptolocker using Tor; the encryption method is powerful but i saw nastier and more evolved malware before, like some bioskit-RAT , but for a cryptolocker, it is quite well done.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
This is actually a very nasty thing. The encryption routine is very fast, depending on how many files are on the drive, it can finish its work in about a minute after running. Also cryptologger had to connect successfully with its C&C prior to malicious activity (so could be blocked if command was down or if a local firewall precluded the connection. Not so with Critoni.

An issue also is that FUD varieties are being offered currently (6-10K USD) and will only be distributed to 5 buyers so as to keep the potential for detection by definitions to a minimum. The higher priced Critoni comes with a Spambot for easy dissemination.

For anyone interested, I'm actually in the middle of testing the current version and will post in Virus Exchange as soon as a write-up is ready.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Wonderful if, Sandboxie and/or Shadow Defender can protect the PC any chances from this nasty mal-ware!:confused:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
this is not so elaborated, this is just a Cryptolocker using Tor;

Wonder if CryptoPrevent (which I have) protects against it?

For anyone interested, I'm actually in the middle of testing the current version and will post in Virus Exchange as soon as a write-up is ready.

I saw your Critoni Ransomware post, cruelsister. But I can't post or even like there :

"(You have insufficient privileges to reply here)"

Why don't you test CryptoPrevent on it?

D

Deleted member 21043

Does anyone know if it does decrypt your files after payment of if it just never stops asking for payment or decrypts your files?

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
this is not so elaborated, this is just a Cryptolocker using Tor; the encryption method is powerful but i saw nastier and more evolved malware before, like some bioskit-RAT , but for a cryptolocker, it is quite well done.

I agree but yet you have to understand that for the average Joe this malware is killing, as most users have no clue what to do.
And even if they did most of it is beyond their ability.

Within the industry malware like cryptolocker cannot run, cannot execute and cannot even infect a single file.
Because the security has a list of files and executables that are allowed to run and block all others, not to mentioned session and shadow copy protection. So cryptolocker is really not that hard to avoid.
Another thing is as cryptology software in any shape or form will not run by default on a industrial network (at least not on mine and that of our clients) for the exact reason as stated above.
Imaging a company like Philips or Siemens being hit by such malware and it would crypt the process line server.
Boy o boy you have no idea what the amount of damage would be.
One of our Clients is a food processing and manufacturer company its one of the largest on the planet (second or third) if they would get hit with such malware it would cost them a few hundred million a day just to have the system being shut down then i am not even talking about the data itself. So companies like that have a large budged to avoid these infections in the first place.
So yeah while crypto type malware are creating Havoc in home land they sort of are a joke industrial wise.

D

Deleted member 21043

I agree but yet you have to understand that for the average Joe this malware is killing, as most users have no clue what to do.
And even if they did most of it is beyond their ability.

Within the industry malware like cryptolocker cannot run, cannot execute and cannot even infect a single file.
Because the security has a list of files and executables that are allowed to run and block all others, not to mentioned session and shadow copy protection. So cryptolocker is really not that hard to avoid.
Another thing is as cryptology software in any shape or form will not run by default on a industrial network (at least not on mine and that of our clients) for the exact reason as stated above.
Imaging a company like Philips or Siemens being hit by such malware and it would crypt the process line server.
Boy o boy you have no idea what the amount of damage would be.
One of our Clients is a food processing and manufacturer company its one of the largest on the planet (second or third) if they would get hit with such malware it would cost them a few hundred million a day just to have the system being shut down then i am not even talking about the data itself. So companies like that have a large budged to avoid these infections in the first place.
So yeah while crypto type malware are creating Havoc in home land they sort of are a joke industrial wise.
Your post n.nvt is so true! Imagine if one of us got infected and our source codes to our projects got infected or encrypted by ransomware :eek::mad:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Your post n.nvt is so true! Imagine if one of us got infected and our source codes to our projects got infected or encrypted by ransomware :eek::mad:

Well lucky for me my source codes are stored on 4 locations: 1 my external HDD, 2 Patent Office Netherlands 3 My bank 4 my Notar.
And in all 4 cases if Cryptolocker can get to it it may have it...lol

Reactions: Jack
D

Deleted member 21043

Well lucky for me my source codes are stored on 4 locations: 1 my external HDD, 2 Patent Office Netherlands 3 My bank 4 my Notar.
And in all 4 cases if Cryptolocker can get to it it may have it...lol
Lol. I don't use USB anymore or external harddrives because I kept losing them... :D

D

Deleted member 21043

Wonderful if, Sandboxie and/or Shadow Defender can protect the PC any chances from this nasty mal-ware!:confused:
I thought it could already? Or maybe I'm going derranged these days...

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I thought it could already? Or maybe I'm going derranged these days...

Naah SB and SD are great software no argue. But its HIGHLY overrated. The funny part is that the software itself is NOT the problem as it does exactly what it promises to do.
Its the user making one mistake after another and as such SB/SD fail to protect them, i have seen this so many times.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Greeting!;)

What is the best protection and cure for this nasty mal-ware?
Also, what are thoughts on Prison Locker/Power Locker?

Kind regards,

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
A few things: With regard to Critoni, CryptoPrevent is useless. I installed CP, applied the policies and restarted. Within a minute all the files that can be encrypted in those areas that CP protects were encrypted.

As to protection, Comodo Firewall did a nice job in prevention. As for a cure, it's either restoring an image or paying the ransom. No way those files can be decrypted without the code. Regarding other Cryptors, I wouldn't worry as no one will use them anymore. The Critoni variety is just too efficient in what it does (encryption speed and providing a shield for Command) for any BlackHats to pass up (or use anything else).

Finally, a fun fact- a listing of the file extensions that Crit looks for in recent builds came across my desk the other day. The sixty or so file types that are targeted does not include .tib, v2i, nor .mrimg. So images from Acronis, Symantec (I really love SSR!), and Macrium that may exist on a local secondary drive or an attached external are safe from getting trashed (so far).

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
Between av and hackers is a total war and we are right în the middle.

There is no war. Everything is about money.
No hackers = No AV.
AVs can be much better but they don't need to be better, they need only more money, better user interfaces and more business.
Like Free in France, before them, the prices was 90% higher and less operator performances (less MB of 3G, less 3G in the country etc.).
New users knows nothing about performances of a software, they see only official results (Av-Comparatives etc. that work with money too), awards (VB100 etc.) and judge from this.
Like a kid buying a game because the design of the CD is nice.

I have seen myself some antivirus companies coming to request targetted attacks to the hackers to get new companies in them business lists.

We can't say it's really a war, it's a "business".

About Critoni, i hope they will find a solution for decryption or it's will be a very bad news for the victims that will be forced to pay to get back them files.

Anyone has a Critoni file to share?

Reactions: malwarian7 and Jack

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.