Cryptowall Infects Police Station Computers, Holds Files Hostage for Ransom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
- Cryptowall ransom message
The computer system of the police department in Durham, New Hampshire has been infected with Cryptowall, a variant of Cryptodefense ransomware that encrypts data and holds it hostage until money is paid for decrypting it.

Just like in the case of the infamous Cryptolocker, the attack was carried out via email phishing, with the piece of malware disguised into what appeared to be a legitimate file attached to the system.

With Cryptowall loose on the department’s computer system, the affected machines were isolated by being taken offline, to stop the spread and to run disinfection routines.

According to Todd Selig, Town Manager, no ransom is to be paid by the authorities for getting the decryption key, an action recommended by most security experts to discourage data ransom practices of cybercrooks.

This was a fortunate case because the police department had a backup system in place that allows restoring the data. The measure proved to be important because Cryptowall’s encryption cannot be broken.

According to security boffins from Cisco Systems, Cryptowall has been around as part of an exploit kit called RIG since April, when they noticed increased traffic generated by the malicious package and started blocking it.

However, the prevalent attack vector was not email phishing, but advertisements served on numerous sites. Cisco informs that they “blocked requests to over 90 domains.”

Cryptowall targets specific file formats, which include DOC, XLS, and TXT, along with images and videos. The malicious software creates files with instructions to regain access to the content in each folder that holds an encrypted file.

A ransom message is then shown to the user informing that the data can be decrypted by paying a fee, which increases in time.

Source

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
even with kis boot cd the files are damaged lucky the files were backup before they got hit by the ransomware

the IT should decrypt explorer.exe :D
no it will be too much time to decrypt explorer because the encryption is unbreakable

Last edited by a moderator:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Did anyone notice they were still using Windows XP? they also probably didn't even have an updated AV.

Thanks. :D

Most of Durham, New Hampshire's police force probably hadn't worried or, for that matter, ever heard about Cryptowall. They have guns!:cool::p Yet, even with:eek: all that fire power, bullets are rarely as good at opening locked "things" as they appear to be in the movies.:rolleyes: Maybe the person with foresight whom backed up all their files might have read some of the threads here that have so often pointed out having a back up might just prove to be the best insurance when the unthinkable happens.:D

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013

What irks me is how we are attacked on different levels, ...and there is frustration:mad: coupled with a sense of futile helplessness.:oops:

The only reason this type of attack succeeds is because people are willing to pay up,” John Hawes wrote on the Sophos blog, questioning the moral validity of a police department paying money to criminal hackers. “If no one ever paid, there would be no ransom-ware.”

Even if the Swansea police were hoping to retrieve files relevant to an open case, it’s likely that the files could no longer be used as evidence after a third party was able to tamper with them. ...

...“If we can’t rely on the people enforcing our laws to stand up to criminals, then we’re in trouble,
” Hawes said.

Following any act of terror, on every imaginable level, too often we question the behavior of the victims:mad: rather than that of the villains:oops: ..especially when those attacked are also those whom have sworn to protect us.

Question: Does anyone know if sand-boxing is still an effective deterrent for Crytolocker & (now) Cyptowall, and how would Shadow Defender fare??:rolleyes: ..because I have those.;):D

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
i have KIS 2014 only nothing else do i need extra protection against ransomware crap going around
There's a "how-to" in the Kaspersky site about safety from Cryptolockers/Ransomwares. KIS will protect you by detecting and preventing ransomwares. But, the "how-to" prevents the actual encryption of your files in case a ransomware escapes detection.
Just look for that "how-to". I don't remember the url.

BTW, you can try CryptoPrevent. It's free. :)

Reactions: Venustus

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
Hi. So CryptoWALL is NOT on the same servers as CryptoLOCKER that the US government took control of? Wall is a variant of Locker that is on a different server?

I agree that safe surfing is VERY important, (probably #1) but that doesn't always cover your butt. A good updated AV should detect and prevent these Crypto's? What about CryptoPrevent by FoolishIT? HitmanPro Alert? Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit? What will stop this stuff in it's tracks? This is getting to be too much and it's a bit confusing.

I don't understand why the police department IT would be running Kaspersky (It's great AV IMO) when they have a backup. I mean Kaspersky can rid the infection, but not decrypt, so what's the point? Just wipe the computer and install your backup right? End of story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.