Do I change my firewall?

S

Sr. Normal

Thread author
Hello everyone.

I have Qihoo 360 TS and Online Armor Free . I surf a lot and I downloaded some movie by torrent .

I constantly install and uninstall programs like browsers, audio and video converters , optimizers , registry cleaners ...

My question is this , Do I continue with my current firewall or change it by the firewall of Windows 7?
Comodo firewall is not to my liking , I do not like the GUI and certain features and me covering my antivirus,
and I do not want change to Privatefirewall

Today more than never I apologize for the translation.
I always compare the translation with 3 translators and today's results could not be more different.

Thank you all and have a good day

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
One of the PCs at the shop is running Win 7 with QIHOO 360 TS with Windows Firewall (default settings). No problem with that setup. At home I use WinXP Home, Qihoo 360 TS and Windows Firewall without problems too and I play with malwares among others.

noelis

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I tried Qihoo with Comodo and OP.....Qihoo need no other firewall then the Original.....MS!
Qihoo TS is more than an AV-Proggy.....it has also Behavior Blocking...that's the reason you need no HIPS.....

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What do you want to be in control of when using a Firewall?

Are the software you are installing trusted and safe? If yes, then Firewall access should be allowed, unless you're trying to use an illegally cracked version. (Of course, not allowed).
Do you need to proactive protection provided by the HIPS? What are your reason to use such features?

You can prevent programs from starting on boot, either from within the program settings or third-party maintenance tools (ie. CCleaner) or with Windows msconfig, or Task Manager (Windows 8 or higher) etc.

Torrent user: http://www.peerblock.com - Check up reviews about this software.

Reactions: Xtwillight
S

Sr. Normal

Thread author
WinXPert and Noelis thanks for your advice , really what you say is logical.

By the way, WinXPert , I 've gone through your blog and will visit regularly

Huracan, thanks. I've seen mixed reviews on the program you recommend me , so I want to ask , is it true that causes problems with online games and torrent download pages ?.
From what I have seen is a great support to windows firewall and a very good idea

Thank you all and have a good day

Reactions: Xtwillight

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
First of all I would stay away from optimisers/reg cleaners they all screw something up at some stage. Windows has enough built in tools to look after itself.

Be carefull of constantly installing and uninstalling programs as this will also mess something up eventually.

Online Armour is a powerful HIPS/firewall if you need the extra security but win 7 firewall is also good at what it does.

Sounds like you need a second computer just for testing stuff out and downloading torrents etc.

Regards Eck:)

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
"reg cleaners they all screw something up at some stage"

this statement is just outdated and isnt true at all.

Reactions: KaptainBug
S

Sr. Normal

Thread author
hi

Eck 're right , the problem is not that I need a second computer , the problem is that I need a second brain .
In my computer I have two hard drives with multiple partitions , 3 NTFS (win, data and backup) and I also Xubuntu , Manjaro kde and Opensuse Gnome.
With these I downloaded the torrent , but I keep on "data" . A second computer cost me a divorce. Thanks.

Striker , thanks , I have tried many cleaners, I think most do a good job , but it's true that experience, I had to resort to the "Recovery " option my backup partition at some moment.

Av Gurus , thanks, but if I want to stick with a firewall with HIPS think I'll stick with Online Armor free , which I 'm very used and not so light though , I really like.

Thank you all for your advice and have a good day

Reactions: Behold Eck
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
online armor... one of the best FW before , now it is almost obsolete (why do you think Emsisoft stopped its development and has made a brand new one included in Emsi IS ? ); not saying it is quite heavy on resources.

Windows Firewall ? the only firewall working at kernel level ? why not just use it !

S

Sr. Normal

Thread author
Umbra Polaris wow ! I had no idea that this firewall is in decline. Too bad !, has always been the firewall with which I have worked more comfortable.
Thank you . What I like most is that MalwareTips always learn new things.
Best regards and have a nice day

Reactions: tonibalas

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
"reg cleaners they all screw something up at some stage"

this statement is just outdated and isnt true at all.

They do and not messing with the registry will never be outdated.

Ccleaner is about the safest bet out there.

Regards Eck:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.