Privazer(sometimes), CCleaner, zemana antilogger
File and Photo backup
No real critical files, all important stuff stored elsewhere
D

Deleted member 21043

To download and install AdwCleaner when your Antivirus keeps blocking it:
- Disable your Antivirus Protection
- Retry the download
- Install AdwCleaner or whatever file you want (make sure you know it's 100% clean first though)
- On Norton safelist it with filesystem, behaviour guards...
- Re-enable Protection

^ Job should be done.

With that, I do suggest leaving Norton for Emsisoft or ESET. In my opinion they are doing really well. I like the Emsisoft behaviour blocker, I would say it is very good and ESET is also very good. It's just a suggestion, you can decide of course ;)

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
To download and install AdwCleaner when your Antivirus keeps blocking it:
- Disable your Antivirus Protection
- Retry the download
- Install AdwCleaner or whatever file you want (make sure you know it's 100% clean first though)
- On Norton safelist it with filesystem, behaviour guards...
- Re-enable Protection

^ Job should be done.

With that, I do suggest leaving Norton for Emsisoft or ESET. In my opinion they are doing really well. I like the Emsisoft behaviour blocker, I would say it is very good and ESET is also very good. It's just a suggestion, you can decide of course ;)

If you read the posts on the first page, you'll see that I already posted the same instructions.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
ElectricSheep, after immersing into this, your system's epic saga of "Remnants of an infection...that shouldn't be hard to deal with.." I'd completely forgotten this was your :eek:configuration thread, *smiling* although it had stuck into my thoughts that you're on a Window's 8.1 system with Norton 360 protection :rolleyes:*goes back to check*. I too hope the pesky remnant which remains shall be dispatched quickly (less waiting) so you can rest easy. As for the the next time you find yourself drunk dowloading o_O why not make it a practice to use the program that's represented by that big banner below this post that looks like a kite without a tail or string!:p
Sandboxie is free, and when you <click> on items (indiscriminately) you won't be stuck with them (unless you specifically recover them on the outside of the sandbox).:confused:
You can get it here www.sandboxie.com :)

Thank you for sharing your set up, and from one Windows 8.1 user to another, I know just how great it'll feel for you once your system no longer lags!;):D

Last edited:

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Updated: using https everywhere, Adblock plus, and have also learnt a lot from you guys about how to avoid nasties. :cool:
Couldn't get on with Sandboxie... did my head in trying to figure it out.
Mind ya, I'm OK with working new things out, just keep it simple :p
I'm only a simple construction site worker, although technically minded o_O

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Yes, Sandboxie can easily do one's brain in, & I'd found myself both :eek:shocked and surprisedo_O my wife even took to it! I have found the latest updated Google Chrome version no longer works for me with Sandboxie, though I can still use it with Explorer and Firefox.:rolleyes: Thanks for trying it anyway.
For Adblock do keep your subscriptions updated.
  1. <Click> on the Adblock icon.
  2. Choose "filter preferences".
  3. The flagship filters are Easylist (blocks adds) & Easy Privacy (blocks tracking)
  • Additionally I use malware domains (disable malware) + Fanboy's annoyances (includes Fanboy's social blocking too).
A similar more simple approach to virtualization (making all changes temporary) and adding an extra layer of protection you may consider trying is the free Toolwiz timefreeze I'd learned of here on our forums.
Construction workers must be intelligent considering you've learned how to avoid nasties!:D

ElectricSheep, you've a good configuration!:)

Last edited:

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Thanks Cats-4-Owners-2, funnily enough I was one of those people who worked in IT about 20 years ago... Yes, pre-internet, mountain tape back ups, 80386 processors and tiny 640 meg hard drives and a lot of work was done in DoS! Those were the days ;)
A lot of new stuff to take in as only been online for 18 months :eek: and luckily I'm not stupid! :) (had plenty of time when was out of work!)
And as they say: once bitten, twice shy - certainly learnt fast, and MalwareTips has been an invaluable site in regards to useful links, security advice and the rest :D

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
The sheep's updated config :)
Hello, O Elementally Powered Sheep whom shears away the gloom!:):)
For the life of me, I could neither guess what you may have chosen for removal from an earlier time nor discerned exactly what you may have chosen to replace it with.:confused:;)
uBlock struck a pleasant chord with me, and even if it's not very new (or is it?) it's what inspired my next thought!:p In a word: uMatrix. If you'd ever attempted to make heads or tails of it's prototype, http everywhere (from the same developers of uBlock) you'd be pleasantly surprised with uMatrix's benefit of blocking Java scripts without sacrificing functionality ..in most cases.:rolleyes: Give it a closer look here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/µmatrix/ogfcmafjalglgifnmanfmnieipoejdcf
If you adopt it, go to options >> "Hosts files", and uncheck those boxes you'd prefer to continue blocking with uBlock such as Malware Domains.

Happy blocking!:D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.