elliotcroft's Windows 7 Laptop

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
This is my new laptop that I got about a week ago. It would also be running Linux, but this time I'm intent on not repeating what happened last time and I more just want to use this laptop for surfing the internet and playing on Minecraft, neither of which will change much from Linux to Windows.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
KIS is really suitable especially on your knowledge, tweak to maximum and you're set for it.

Include on demand scanners too (MBAM and HMP) since there's nothing for getting second opinion. :)

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
jamescv7 said:
KIS is really suitable especially on your knowledge, tweak to maximum and you're set for it.

Include on demand scanners too (MBAM and HMP) since there's nothing for getting second opinion. :)
The problem with KIS is that it doesn't have any trusted vendor list - you either allow ANYTHING with a digital signature or make do with the Kaspersky Security Network, which sounds like a recipe for disaster.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
just watched a kaspersky video with Vladimir Zapolyansky.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4F_wjEM6Ik&feature=player_embedded

Sounds like they collect their own whitelist from users. Also kaspersky isn't listed on bit9 as a partner.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
KIS does have a whitelist for known safe applications. Actually the default config should do just fine for a cautions user. IF you are a sec freak then tweak it to extreme level. IF you want extreme control use ESETs products. Their HIPS is highly configurable and the interactive mode asks about everything. Some day it may ask. "Your PC is try to open My Compuer"Do you really want to open it?
LOL

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
I've added Sandboxie to my setup, since Kaspersky's Safe Run doesn't support Opera.
I'm thinking about enabling Experimental Protection, but I'm not quite sure if I could possibly disable it if the KPP is patched to force a crash when it is enabled.

P

Plexx

malbky said:
IF you want extreme control use ESETs products. Their HIPS is highly configurable and the interactive mode asks about everything. Some day it may ask. "Your PC is try to open My Compuer"Do you really want to open it?
LOL
ESET HIPS is not that configurable to be honest and Interactive mode is more a pain than anything. Have you tried installing 2 applications while in Interactive mode and then uninstall? Guaranteed 4 pop ups just per software uninstall process.
I rather run it on learning more for a few days and switch to policy based.

ESET doesn't really have extreme control. What ESET does have is a good detection rate and light on system.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
YES You are right
once i turned on interactive mode in version 6 and i Got almost 10-12 popup when i opened internet explorer alone since i did not want ESET to be so paranoid i switched back to normal
But that doesnt Mean ESET hips are bad Given specific amount of time and knowledge it can be configured precisely as you want it to
But the only problem with ESET is that it does not alert when it blocks something except for the malware which can be a pain since you have to check the logs to see what exactly was blocked
It would be less painful if they had a list of trusted vendors that are digitally signed

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Anyway, does anybody know if I can disable Experimental Protection in Sandboxie if an update to PatchGuard causes the system to crash?
This was so much easier with GeSWall. It's a shame there is no 64 bit version of it.
Is there any way to make a Sandboxed Opera my default web browser?
That was much easier in Kubuntu.
I tried Bufferzone Pro before I installed Kaspersky, but it seemed to crash a lot with Zone Alarm Free Firewall + Antivirus. Whether this will be the same or not with Kaspersky, I don't know.
How is Bufferzone's 64 bit protection level compared to Sandboxie's?

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Demoted Sandboxie to on demand, since nothing not specifically trusted in KSN can't execute anyway on untrusted.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Keypass is a great password manager. Used to use it and every password I got I stored it in there.

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Replaced Keepass with Lastpass, since I'd prefer my settings to be stored online in case something happens to my computer, and I've just found out that there is a lastpass extension for Opera.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Is the 2013 a cloud av? If so that might be why you are getting 5MB or RAM.

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
McLovin said:
Is the 2013 a cloud av? If so that might be why you are getting 5MB or RAM.
It still has roughly hourly definition updates, so it's not completely in the cloud.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
elliotcroft said:
Stranger said:
how is kis 2013 light or............ as usual
It's currently using around 5MB of RAM on a 64 bit OS, so I'd say it's rather light.
so kaspersky is making there software light now
I have pure on my system and its light than avast;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.