elliotcroft's Windows 7 Laptop

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
elliotcroft said:
It still has roughly hourly definition updates, so it's not completely in the cloud.

Hmm okay. Weird because that is what Trend does, updates hourly or every 3 hours.

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Stranger said:
elliotcroft said:
Stranger said:
how is kis 2013 light or............ as usual
It's currently using around 5MB of RAM on a 64 bit OS, so I'd say it's rather light.
so kaspersky is making there software light now
I have pure on my system and its light than avast;)
I was kind of expecting the usage to be in the hundreds, considering how robust the security seems, then I was amazed to find out that immunet had a higher average RAM usage.
McLovin said:
elliotcroft said:
It still has roughly hourly definition updates, so it's not completely in the cloud.

Hmm okay. Weird because that is what Trend does, updates hourly or every 3 hours.
How much RAM does Trend use up on average? Or, to put it in punny terms: What's the Trend in its RAM usage?

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Sometime Ram usage should not only be consider for the lightness of av,eset and mse have very high use of ram but they are light than most of the av but ksapersky have improved lot now a days and i haven't tested kis for sometime but Pure is really light on my system.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
elliotcroft said:
How much RAM does Trend use up on average? Or, to put it in punny terms: What's the Trend in its RAM usage?

526N8.jpg

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
McLovin said:
elliotcroft said:

526N8.jpg
That's a lot. :shok:

Kaspersky is actually using around 60 MB of RAM. I forgot to check processes from all users.
Still, it's less than half of what Trend Micro uses.

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Stranger said:
really lot of ram usage with no great detection by trend micro
The Web Filter is nice, though.
I edited my previous post, as I actually forgot to check memory usage from all users. It's around 60 MB, which is still far better than Trend Micro.
When it's updating, it uses about as much as Trend Micro did in McLovin's screenshot.

P

Plexx

@McLovin: Trend usage was during scan or idle? I don't recall seeing a spike on ram usage while on Idle when I gave Trend a test run.

@elliotcroft: I suppose cpu usage while scanning aint that bad correct?

downloading it now for a test run:)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Biozfear said:
@McLovin: Trend usage was during scan or idle? I don't recall seeing a spike on ram usage while on Idle when I gave Trend a test run.

It was when it was idle. The reason people remember Trend is because of it's Web Guard.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
elliotcroft said:
McLovin said:
elliotcroft said:

526N8.jpg

Kaspersky is actually using around 60 MB of RAM. I forgot to check processes from all users.

Kaspersky pure use only 24-30 MB that is why its light than kis
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Stranger-Desktop-Security-Setup?page=9

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Stranger said:
elliotcroft said:
McLovin said:
elliotcroft said:

526N8.jpg

Kaspersky pure use only 24-30 MB that is why its light than kis
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Stranger-Desktop-Security-Setup?page=9

It's because you've got a 32 bit OS. 32 Bit applications usually require less resources than their 64 bit counterparts.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What happened to the Kaspersky Tech.Prev. for Windows 8 CP/RP?

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Kaspersky randomly moves previously trusted items to untrusted. :rolleyes:
This gets really annoying. At least Comodo has a fall back to prevent this with the TVL.
Does anyone know why this happens? Is this just a bug in 2013?

P

Plexx

elliot, does 2013 RC has random spikes when browsing internet or even on idle?

One thing I don't understand is that despite Stranger being on 32bit architecture, his KIS was reported higher RAM usage and slow downs while Pure didn't.

When I gave pure a try, well it wasnt for me as you can see the review I posted.

As for your issue, there was a similar issue back in 2009 or 2010 version if I remember right.

Nevertheless, you can always do some "fishing" here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=16

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Biozfear said:
elliot, does 2013 RC has random spikes when browsing internet or even on idle?

One thing I don't understand is that despite Stranger being on 32bit architecture, his KIS was reported higher RAM usage and slow downs while Pure didn't.

When I gave pure a try, well it wasnt for me as you can see the review I posted.

As for your issue, there was a similar issue back in 2009 or 2010 version if I remember right.

Nevertheless, you can always do some "fishing" here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=16
I think I've tamed the issue for now by disabling application control monitoring on Opera, Opera Plugin Manager and Minecraft.

P

Plexx

Ah still a MC player. It is a nice game. There is another game I have been recommended but hard to find a friend to play: Terraria

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
I've changed to CIS 5.10. Kaspersky was far too aggressive for my tastes, and randomly made perfectly safe programs get put in 'Untrusted'. I've put Comodo in set to restrict all unknown programs to 'Blocked', which should act just like how it was with Kaspersky. In theory.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Biozfear said:
Ah still a MC player. It is a nice game. There is another game I have been recommended but hard to find a friend to play: Terraria

Sister plays that and she loves it. Can't stop playing it.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
elliotcroft said:
Anyway, does anybody know if I can disable Experimental Protection in Sandboxie if an update to PatchGuard causes the system to crash?
Yes, you can. Take a look at this link and the quote.

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ExperimentalProtection

"Note that system crashes related to Kernel Patch Protection do not generally occur immediately upon system start-up, but some minutes later."

Bo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.