Battle Emsisoft Internet security or Qihoo 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
Hi there.
One of my friend asking me about emsisoft internet security. He is fanboy of emsisoft and want to use for 1 year on his desktop pc.He has 500 gb HD but Ram is very low i.e. 1GB with core 2 duo processor of 2.80GHz.He is using Windows 7 ultimate. Before purchase he ask me a suggestion. I think,as per his pc configuration emisoft will not fit for him. but still want expert comment. is Emsisoft internet security okk for his low configuration pc? or qihoo is best choice for him?

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
First to consider is upgrade an additional RAM to meet the minimum requirements as possible.

For antivirus well Emsisoft is totally good in terms of protection and performance stability on the system, on the other hand Qihoo as little bit issues about resource consumption when two engines are ticked which until now its pretty inconsistent.

Other known for pretty light in the system are Norton and ESET which have very minimal footprint for their processes but the protection isn't reduce nor sacrifice.

Cloud AV's are totally so fine too in the system since their components are relying much from online + it just depends on system resource for how it handles. (namely Panda Cloud Free or Bitdefender Free)

Companion AV (which can be solo to your system): Crystal Security, Xvirus or SecureAplus which are light also on the system without system slowdowns.

H

hjlbx

There is EAM 30-day trial.

Use it. Your friend will quickly be able to tell whether or not the new EAM version 10 will work on his specific system.

With such low RAM, I would not use full system scan - unless system is idle. Just run installation scan and then keep File Guard activated. File Guard will protect the system in real-time - it was designed specifically for this function.

Advice from others and their recommendations is all fine and good - but in the end, all that matters, is how a soft performs on your specific system.

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
in comparison to eset & emsisoft I've observed eset to be lighter & less battery drainer, (previously was having 4gb now I've 6gb with 5th gen i5), still I use eset & have faced no issues so far. (can't say about emsisoft 10)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@maanastr, if your friend is set on Emsisoft, the light alternative, Emsisoft Anti-Malware (as @hjlbx mentioned earlier) offers a free 30 day trial.
Here is an excerpt of the "positive propaganda";) from their site:
  • "While running, Emsisoft Anti-Malware uses about 200 MB of your RAM which is quite low considering the 10 million signatures that it must load. If your PC has at least 1 GB of RAM, this will be perfect."
https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

I want to believe, and may just try it out myself when our Avast Premier runs out in August!:p

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
first of all i would ask you the reason why you want a firewall... if you are always at home or you are behind of a router surely i might tell you that you dont need a firewall at all, but if you go online in public places you may consider to use one.

As for performance EIS in my last test was a quite heavier that was 5 months ago, surely that may have changed now, as for ram usage EAM is pretty decent despite the fact that it uses bitdefender engine about protection, as some people here says that emsisoft engine is pretty bad is not true as they focus on PUP detection and the other engine (bitdefender) focus on malware protection, also emsisoft some times covers the gap that bitdefender lets open.

For qihoo i would say that cloud protection is good but may cause a lot of FPs and protection may not work the way it has to... if i have to choose i would go with another suite... but since low ram, i think that you have no other choice... BUT the old qihoo internet security is the best option, why? because qihoo TS and SE will consume more than 400 mb while scanning if both (offline engines) are on, this doesnt happen with IS however please keep in mind that qihoo is like a plastic knife when offline.

D

Deleted member 2913

@maanastr, if your friend is set on Emsisoft, the light alternative, Emsisoft Anti-Malware (as @hjlbx mentioned earlier) offers a free 30 day trial.
Here is an excerpt of the "positive propaganda";) from their site:
  • "While running, Emsisoft Anti-Malware uses about 200 MB of your RAM which is quite low considering the 10 million signatures that it must load. If your PC has at least 1 GB of RAM, this will be perfect."
https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

I want to believe, and may just try it out myself when our Avast Premier runs out in August!:p
EAM on my Win 7 64 4GB RAM after boot uses around 230,000 K, after sometime uses around 80,000 K then after sometime settles at 6000 K - 72000 K.
System is running light & browsing speed good.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
EAM on my Win 7 64 4GB RAM after boot uses around 230,000 K, after sometime uses around 80,000 K then after sometime settles at 6000 K - 72000 K.
System is running light & browsing speed good.

thats too much which are your settings? in general EAM will not exceed 200 mb... after some time it may decrease, the problem here is if your hard disk is a dinosaur... as emsisoft dump signatures to the disk...

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
I couldn't see justifying either buying hardware upgrades for such an old computer or buying software for such an old computer. Tune it as best as you can to use it for its intended purpose with what you have available to you at zero cost.
core 2 duo is not that old and it is enough form most users! to chat on MalwareTips or to read news you dont need more than that. and I wouldn't call this an investment
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/2gb-ddr2-pc2-6400-non-ecc
I'm running 2 vm with C2D E8500 its running fine

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I had that CPU at 3.66GHz. It is 7 years old.

Applying v2 of Moore's Law, that's almost 5 generations.

A generation is about 25 years, so that's 125 years old--that's a relic! :)

If all one did was read news and MalwareTips, one really wouldn't need security software.

Reactions: nissimezra

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
I had that CPU at 3.66GHz. It is 7 years old.

Applying v2 of Moore's Law, that's almost 5 generations.

A generation is about 25 years, so that's 125 years old--that's a relic! :)

If all one did was read news and MalwareTips, one really wouldn't need security software.
if you visit MalwareTips you should defiantly need a good security software:)
so my computer is 125 years old? good to know. for me it's enough with 6 gig of ram I can easy run 2 virtual machine
Just to let you know in Montreal many people are still using Pentium 4 and they are very happy with it.

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
if you are always at home or you are behind of a router surely i might tell you that you dont need a firewall at all
you may need to consider how many bots in the wild there to scan your Internet network :) you are an expert, and you may be able to overcome any attack your network :) but others may not be able to do that you can do :) even if you apply some of the rules in the firewall of your router/mikrotik. and usually someone will leave some ports open, it will be a gap for the attacker to the initial attack Although some ISPs would have to close all ports and brought it down :)

Iam sorry my english is very bad :)

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
you may need to consider how many bots in the wild there to scan your Internet network :) you are an expert, and you may be able to overcome any attack your network :) but others may not be able to do that you can do :) even if you apply some of the rules in the firewall of your router/mikrotik. and usually someone will leave some ports open, it will be a gap for the attacker to the initial attack Although some ISPs would have to close all ports and brought it down :)

Iam sorry my english is very bad :)
being honest since am not in bad steps nor manage too sensitive information i dont really care about the fact if i need a firewall o not but as a matter of fact most of ISPs (at least here) install you a router which in default setting will discard any packet that doesnt belong to any open port as a default or query, besides some of them implements packet validation... however just the fact that the router is using NAT is enough as the attacker may know that a pc is there but doesnt know how many of them are there in the other side if for some reason theres is a bot inside the intranet well, AV may en charge of that sooner or later... also please notice that windows built in firewall is enough for most of us :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.