Advice Request ESET Premium & firewall

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I'm seeing something odd the past few days on win10 running ESET Premium 16.0.0.26. I'm getting some odd system errors or irregularities, one which mentioned the Firewall is off. ESET settings show its firewall is ON and in automatic mode, but when I look in Windows Security, "Firewall & Network" is not listed, but if I go to Security Providers it does show Firewall but with "No Providers" I think there's some sort of "disconnect" I think it should be showing Firewall ESET or something like that. I did email ESET support. I have a case number. Chat is not available on weekends. This might be my first peeve with ESET. I'm wondering if I might need to uninstall and reinstall ESET to "fix" some vague firewall issue. How should Firewall be reported in Windows Security ref ESET...?? :unsure:o_O

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It's possible that there is a communication issue between ESET and Windows Security, causing the Firewall to not be properly recognized by Windows. Uninstalling and reinstalling ESET could potentially resolve the issue, but it's best to work with ESET support to troubleshoot the problem. They may have other suggestions or solutions to try. In terms of how the Firewall should be reported in Windows Security, it should show up as "Firewall ESET" or something similar, indicating that the ESET Firewall is actively protecting the system.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It's possible that there is a communication issue between ESET and Windows Security, causing the Firewall to not be properly recognized by Windows. Uninstalling and reinstalling ESET could potentially resolve the issue, but it's best to work with ESET support to troubleshoot the problem. They may have other suggestions or solutions to try. In terms of how the Firewall should be reported in Windows Security, it should show up as "Firewall ESET" or something similar, indicating that the ESET Firewall is actively protecting the system.
I don't know if you're smarter than me or just repeating what I said in my question :unsure:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I don't know if you're smarter than me or just repeating what I said in my question :unsure:
I apologize if it seemed like I was repeating what you said in your question. As an AI language model, my responses are based on the patterns and information presented in the text provided to me. My aim is to provide helpful responses and suggestions to assist you in resolving the issue you are experiencing. If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know and I will do my best to assist you.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Restore windows firewall to default settings reboot It then install ESET solved this issue for me on an older version of ESET on windows 10, it may not work on current version of ESET or windows 11
I am thinking the same thing... :censored: I very rarely have any issues with ESET. I see Windows Defender Firewall | Restore defaults | but since I see a potential non-congruence between MS "use recommended settings" / restore default AND however ESET configures firewall, I can wait a day or two to get reply from support. Thanks!
EDIT I am limited to win10 on this hardware

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Update to latest Eset Version 16.1.14.0
yes... this newer version has been out for awhile, correct? Curious to me that mine has not autoupdated, but don't know if Premium is on a different release schedule?? :unsure: I think you're correct a good update could / should fix this, I'll look into this at ESET.

NewbyUser

Level 2
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2021
It was released April 4th.

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
yes... this newer version has been out for awhile, correct? Curious to me that mine has not autoupdated, but don't know if Premium is on a different release schedule?? :unsure: I think you're correct a good update could / should fix this, I'll look into this at ESET.
Eset usually releases new version gradually so it can take some time until autoupdate installs new version on your system. If you manually run update check it will download latest version as soon as it is released. I like this approach as I have at least some "control" over update process.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Eset usually releases new version gradually so it can take some time until autoupdate installs new version on your system. If you manually run update check it will download latest version as soon as it is released. I like this approach as I have at least some "control" over update process.
ok, thanks but I read somewhere that 16.1.14 came out in Oct 2022, ?? (but now see release date was 04 April, so not sure where I read last Oct?). I'm reasonably sure that I ran a manual update a few times before today... in any event YES I manually updated today to 16.1.14 and forced reboot and updated! But still Windows Security seems "out of sync" with firewall and ESET? This update did not "fix" it, if it is indeed "broken" or ESET & win10 are miscommunicating. I would send a snip of what I'm seeing but I'm away and using a different computer.

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
ok, thanks but I read somewhere that 16.1.14 came out in Oct 2022, ?? (but now see release date was 04 April, so not sure where I read last Oct?). I'm reasonably sure that I ran a manual update a few times before today... in any event YES I manually updated today to 16.1.14 and forced reboot and updated! But still Windows Security seems "out of sync" with firewall and ESET? This update did not "fix" it, if it is indeed "broken" or ESET & win10 are miscommunicating. I would send a snip of what I'm seeing but I'm away and using a different computer.
16.1.14 came out in April 2023. There was version 16.0.24 that was released last year.
Regarding your problem, you can either try to resolve it with ESET's support or try to reinstall it which will probably resolve it also.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
16.1.14 came out in April 2023. There was version 16.0.24 that was released last year.
Regarding your problem, you can either try to resolve it with ESET's support or try to reinstall it which will probably resolve it also.
I had to step away from win10 unexpectedly currently checking-in on Mac. No support reply to my report yet, maybe they'll chat with me using Mac?

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I chatted with ESET support from a Mac. They sent me a MS link to do something with windows firewall, but don't have the URL right now. Is ESET using its own firewall, or controlling windows firewall?? Support via chat was somewhat unclear about that?

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
ESET support and my firewall concern. I emailed ESET support last Friday IIRC but it seems support is not open on weekends. By noonish Monday, I had not received a reply email, other than case number, I logged in and chatted with support. that tech sent me a link to MS about turning windows firewall on & off, and tech suggested to turn it ON and run it with ESET firewall, but other webpages at ESET say to turn windows firewall OFF. Should Windows Security | Security providers | Firewall say "No providers" or ESET, mine still says No Providers?

I sent ESET support a follow-up email after the Chat, and it's been +24 hours and no email reply. Is this "delay" typical?" I've used ESET a long time but never needed support before.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
ESET support and my firewall concern. I emailed ESET support last Friday IIRC but it seems support is not open on weekends. By noonish Monday, I had not received a reply email, other than case number, I logged in and chatted with support. that tech sent me a link to MS about turning windows firewall on & off, and tech suggested to turn it ON and run it with ESET firewall, but other webpages at ESET say to turn windows firewall OFF. Should Windows Security | Security providers | Firewall say "No providers" or ESET, mine still says No Providers?

I sent ESET support a follow-up email after the Chat, and it's been +24 hours and no email reply. Is this "delay" typical?" I've used ESET a long time but never needed support before.
Have you tried asking on the forum?

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020

I use Windows 11 and here is how ESET's firewall is registered on my system.

1683146444473.png

I don't know what's there typical response time. I usually solved my problem by checking out or posting on their forum.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I use Windows 11 and here is how ESET's firewall is registered on my system.

View attachment 275080

I don't know what's there typical response time. I usually solved my problem by checking out or posting on their forum.
I'm on win10 22H2 same panel gray left side, there is no listing for firewall! It goes from Account protection to App & browser control! When I go to Security Providers screen it does list Firewall No providers. Just ended a chat with support, tech avoided my question about this, but was emphatic that windows firewall should be off.
EDIT I think (suspect) that my windows firewall is more than off...:unsure:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.