New Update ESET v17.0

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Similarly, in the 16.2 release they had a problem with the firewall, which I don't know if it's been resolved yet.
I had been running v16 ESET SSP -- then it developed firewall issue... eset support was all over the place about this, and I uninstalled SSP. worst problem I had in at least +10 years :eek:

Filipe

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2018
Can anyone give me feedback on Eset VPN?
Hi Shadowra

Eset Vpn is not bad. It seems to be based on Windscribe open source infractruture and you can check by digital signature by them on eset vpn file installation.
Its has the same servers as windscribe but lacks a few features. So comparing to windscribe is like a fork i guess. Not 100% sure but as evidence i saw, i would say its based on windscribe.

Kind Regards

eXDj

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
Hi Shadowra

Eset Vpn is not bad. It seems to be based on Windscribe open source infractruture and you can check by digital signature by them on eset vpn file installation.
Its has the same servers as windscribe but lacks a few features. So comparing to windscribe is like a fork i guess. Not 100% sure but as evidence i saw, i would say its based on windscribe.

Kind Regards
super

czesetfan

Level 4
Thread author
Dec 3, 2021
Essential = ESET iS ;)
Premium = Smart Security Premium ;)
Ultimate = New version

It's more precisely like this:

Old: - New brand:
--------------------------------------- - Ultimate - New
Smart Security Premium - Premium
Internet Security - Essential
NOD32 Antivirus - NOD32 Antivirus

Have you seen a review, a video, or at least a photo of the Ultimate version somewhere? :unsure:

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
It's more precisely like this:

Old: - New brand:
--------------------------------------- - Ultimate - New
Smart Security Premium - Premium
Internet Security - Essential
NOD32 Antivirus - NOD32 Antivirus

Have you seen a review, a video, or at least a photo of the Ultimate version somewhere? :unsure:

The Ultimate version can't be downloaded as a trial version :/ I'd really like to test it out....

czesetfan

Level 4
Thread author
Dec 3, 2021
Unwanted notifications blocking, metadata cleanup and the vpn. I´m a beta insider from a few years now. I´m still unable to see this feature from browser extension working.
Is it strange why there is no trial version?

And also, I couldn't find anything for this version. A new "flagship" and no one has seen it anywhere. Not even just a printscreen of the main window. I really don't understand. :oops:

Filipe

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2018
The Ultimate version can't be downloaded as a trial version :/ I'd really like to test it out....

Is it strange why there is no trial version?

And also, I couldn't find anything for this version. A new "flagship" and no one has seen it anywhere. I really don't understand. :oops:
I think Eset should put throught available a trial version in the website for people to try out.

czesetfan

Level 4
Thread author
Dec 3, 2021
Looks like that Ultimate version is like Kaspersky Premium, it's not tested during beta testing (maximum Kaspersky Plus) and can't be downloaded for trial, and in essence, it's a Kaspersky Plus with some additional premium services: Comparison of subscription plans

I have license of Kaspersky Premium provided by Kaspersky :)
Do you see any reason for that? Why might that be?

For example, the browser add-on features are very poor.

They just trigger what the browser can do anyway by default. And the "safe search" badges are just a blacklist from ESET. This means that the user of ESET's solution would be protected by the antivirus/security suite anyway, blocked from accessing the blacklisted site. It's just a "visualization", even only in selected browsers and for two search engines.. I'm missing the point of all this. If the add-on could be installed by users of other AVs, that would be more understandable.

cofer123

Level 3
Sep 7, 2021
Do you see any reason for that? Why might that be?

For example, the browser add-on features are very poor.

They just trigger what the browser can do anyway by default. And the "safe search" badges are just a blacklist from ESET. This means that the user of ESET's solution would be protected by the antivirus/security suite anyway, blocked from accessing the blacklisted site. It's just a "visualization", even only in selected browsers and for two search engines.. I'm missing the point of all this. If the add-on could be installed by users of other AVs, that would be more understandable.
Most of these features are available on Kaspersky Standard, which is much cheaper though. On Kaspersky Plus you also get the unlimited VPN + Password Manager + Secret Vault + Backup & Restore + Hard Drive Health Monitor (I personally like this one, as it once notified by e-mail of a dying hdd on my parents's computer), which is cheaper still than even Eset Essential/EIS. Placing a security feature like Live Guard on a premium package has never sat right with me. I believe the cheapest version should always pack all security features, leaving the additional "gimmicks" and features for the higher tier products, like Kaspersky currently does.

I don't understand Eset's strategy here. Apparently, you also need to purchase a whooping 5 devices license for Eset Ultimate, which makes it the most expensive solution probably out of all consumer-grade options available. And honestly, besides the VPN, everything else they offer with that package look absolutely useless.

Miyagi

Level 1
Verified
Jul 7, 2013
I concur. Everything what cofer123 mentioned above. (y) Price is getting too high and lots of issue lately. Not a good value for your money with what's out there now. They need to rethink their strategy in the U.S. market. Hard Drive Health Monitor in Kaspersky Plus and Premium version is a great addition! I know there is an app called Hard Disk Sentinel available (special pricing going on now during 11/22-11/29), and it's a nice addition. Hope ESET listens to their customers and get things in order.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.