New Update ESET v17.0

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
That's great. I meant, is NOD32 completely free of bloat or unavailable features in the GUI or settings?
I would say bloat free, unavailable features, not that I've noticed. I did go thru the advanced settings to see what if anything could or should be tweaked, it seemed like everything in settings was available. I ended up leaving it "default" (running with VS/CL on this vm).

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

I would say bloat free, unavailable features, not that I've noticed. I did go thru the advanced settings to see what if anything could or should be tweaked, it seemed like everything in settings was available. I ended up leaving it "default" (running with VS/CL on this vm).
Do the higher versions have features that are not available? I noticed that you consistently include "on this VM" in your posts. Do you use your actual system for browsing? What security measures do you have in place?

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Do the higher versions have features that are not available? I noticed that you consistently include "on this VM" in your posts. Do you use your actual system for browsing? What security measures do you have in place?
I rarely use my actual hardware win10 for browsing. 95%+ browsing from vm only. hardware win10 runs DeepInstinct. IIRC eg ESET SS Premium, everything in its settings was available, but don't quote me on that :ROFLMAO:

czesetfan

Level 4
Thread author
Dec 3, 2021
ESET's VPN is Windscribe... the interface looks just like it and the .EXEs are signed by Windscribe.
It's a good VPN, but limited to 1Gbps (sufficient, but I have 2Gbps fiber).

Upload on the other hand is very low for me.... (approx. 300Mbps vs. 700 without VPN)

View attachment 279892
I look forward to testing the Ultimate version. (y):)
No. Every version of ESET is fully functional within its functionality. There are no "locked" features, switches, ads for promotion. Nothing like that. When I have NOD32, I have antivirus. When I have Internet Security, there are a few options added, but again, they are all available and fully functional. It's up to you which features you use and how you configure them. 🙂

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
No. Every version of ESET is fully functional within its functionality. There are no "locked" features, switches, ads for promotion. Nothing like that. When I have NOD32, I have antivirus. When I have Internet Security, there are a few options added, but again, they are all available and fully functional. It's up to you which features you use and how you configure them. 🙂
that's what I thought,,,that's what I said (above) or think I said... nice to be insync... :whistle:

Reactions: Nevi

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
By something shocked me.... Where is the ESET robot ? o__O
I'm sure I saw him sometime somewhere during install... but you are correct sir, Robot is awol from NOD32 v17 interface. And why is the ESET Robot, male, or I've only seen maie depictions. :unsure: Female Robot might be more thoughtful (and do a better job "cleaning" ie removing malware)... ;)

Last edited:
  • HaHa
Reactions: Oldie1950 and Nevi

czesetfan

Level 4
Thread author
Dec 3, 2021
How do you see the future of NOD32? This version is difficult to find on the ESET website. I suspect that ESET wants to let NOD32 die slowly.
I'm worried about that too. :confused:

I don't understand why they are giving up such an iconic "mascot". They'll just stick with the generic names "Internet Security, Premium, Ultimate...."
Every AV vendor has similar names.

But no one had "Android" and NOD32.. :alien: (y):)

cofer123

Level 3
Sep 7, 2021

I don't understand why they are giving up such an iconic "mascot". They'll just stick with the generic names "Internet Security, Premium, Ultimate...."

It really looks like their marketing and product departments are not in sync. Pricing is all over the place, product offering is lacking, now you have 4 choices for the home user. I don't believe they will manage to attract new users when their competition is cheaper and with more features and simpler to figure out what you're paying for.

Also, when referring to their products, people usually remember them by NOD32, not so much as Eset. Names are that important. Everyone knows Norton and that it's yellow, McAfee and that it's white and red (and slow and annoying 😅), Kaspersky and that it's green. NOD32 is the robot antivirus but whoops, where have they gone to?
A major HIPS upgrade was promised at the ESET forum next year.. :unsure:
Hopefully but I don't know. I remember they claiming improvements for behavior detection since at least version 15, yet not much has changed. All we got is a browser add-on that doesn't do anything the browsers don't already do, with a few extra gimmicks.

Also, while we are at it, there are reports of a memory leak with version 17: Ekrn.exe memory leak in ver. 17

I checked and noticed similar behavior on my machine, with ekrn.exe using around 200MB of memory after a few hours running.

Reactions: simmerskool

partha_roy

Level 3
Well-known
Oct 16, 2022
Also, when referring to their products, people usually remember them by NOD32, not so much as Eset. Names are that important. Everyone knows Norton and that it's yellow, McAfee and that it's white and red (and slow and annoying 😅), Kaspersky and that it's green. NOD32 is the robot antivirus but whoops, where have they gone to?
Lol! But on a serious note, McAfee has improved a lot in terms of performance; in terms of detection, it still is a top-tier product

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015

Many major vendors have given up something iconic in their products. Kaspersky's pig squeak, Avast's "your virus definitions have been updated" etc. Probably someone in marketing decided the robot didn't look good in a serious product or some other silly reason like that.

There's a thread somewhere in the forum where people posted old times security software and what they liked about it :)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.