findmeaname's configuration

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
findmeanme, thank you for sharing your configuration.
What are you impressions of McAffey? It was the AV (trial version) originally installed on our Acer Aspire M series lap top with Windows 8.1
I'd used it for 30 trouble free days before discovering a whole world of free options from our site here!:p

I think you may be modest, for your computer knowledge reads higher than medium!;)

I won't feel surprised, then, if you have already activated Chrome's third party cookie blocker.
..but just in case you haven't yet,:)
  1. Choose settings, then scroll down to "Show advanced settings"
  2. Beneath "Privacy" <click> "Content Settings" button
  3. Check the box beside "Block third-party cookies and site data".
How is Chrome working for you? I've used Chrome's portable version, and find it's a bit sluggish lately.

A recommendation to "strengthen your security without slowing down.." your system is
  • Sandboxie Free www.sandboxie.com which protects you browser (hence your system) by preventing changes from remaining. All effects are discarded by deleting the sandbox.:) Files may be recovered when they are downloads you trust and wish to keep.:cool: *Note. Security update patches must always be performed without sandboxing.
A Chrome extension similar to NoScript I think you'll prefer is
An excellent free tool which keeps your system light while also protecting your privacy by safely removing temp files is called
  • CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download (scrolling down the page to "builds" provides a link to the portable version as well) it's among the favorites on MT, and I use it every day I remember!:D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
No infections is good.Personally I would uninstall McAfee.I would use a 3rd party uninstaller such as IObit or Revo to uninstall.McAfee leaves a lot behind after you uninstall it and these 2 uninstallers are very good a getting rid of whats left behind.
If you havent had any infections and smart about where you go online,what you click and what you download your lightest option in Windows 8.1 would be UAC,Smartscreen,Windows Defender & Windows Firewall.I would also suggest Sandboxie as it is one program everyone should have.
If your looking for just an AV.Adding Avast free is an option also along with UAC,Smartscreen & windows firewall.I would suggest not returning to Filehippo update checker or SAS and add a couple more on demand scanners.
I like MBAM,Emsisoft Emergency Kit,Hitman Pro as well as ESET Online Scanner.I would also use CCleaner its an excellent program.It's free and has a very easy back up & restore for registry cleaning among other useful tools.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

findmeanme

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 23, 2013
Cats 4 owners This mcAfee also came install and i have only had this computer for a few days. I have used Sandboxie in the past but had problems installing the most recent version on another computer, might try it again though. I have Javascripts blocked by default in chrome.
I do plant to install CCleaner right now, i have used it many times:D.
Eterminator 20 I like Avast and have been using it on another computer in hardened mode, I like that I can scan external drives with it. I use UAC and Smartscreen. I have used emisoft recently and find it quicker than in the past. I use filehippo updater as well(need to install it):).

Moonshine your advice is good, thank-you!

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.