Galaxy TAB 3 acting funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
To be honest that's all I can do about the memory card, we need someone experienced to help us recover the files if possible. Did you try to get your files back by accessing it from a file manager with superuser permissions and show the hidden files?

I just logged on to dropbox using the PC & Internet outside the Tablet and it seems all the video's and photos are there, so thats one worry less as i am downloading them now so i can back them up.
So that still leaves me with a busted tablet, and for all i care if it needs to be wiped to the bone so be it.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I just logged on to dropbox using the PC & Internet outside the Tablet and it seems all the video's and photos are there, so thats one worry less as i am downloading them now so i can back them up.
So that still leaves me with a busted tablet, and for all i care if it needs to be wiped to the bone so be it.

Great to hear that you got back the files! :) About the tablet, I believe the best way is to flash it, if no app was able to remove the malware. Before flashing, note that doing this voids the warranty. Also any fault during the process can result in a non-functional device, but if you follow the steps carefully and avoid anything unexpected happening you will be fine. :) Continue?

EDIT: forgot to mention that this will also factory-reset the device.

Reactions: Ink

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
Great to hear that you got back the files! :) About the tablet, I believe the best way is to flash it, if no app was able to remove the malware. Before flashing, note that doing this voids the warranty. Also any fault during the process can result in a non-functional device, but if you follow the steps carefully and avoid anything unexpected happening you will be fine. :) Continue?

EDIT: forgot to mention that this will also factory-reset the device.

Yes continue, but while you are add it, it might be usefull to change the Android pre-build OS to a more suitable rom that does not contain so many crap... but thats for later concern right now the only thing i want is to get rid of this pest and to be able to have my wife play around with the tablet again as she is really hooked on that thing.
Tbh i have no clue if flashing will work... But sure continue.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
I would change the Dropbox password, just to be sure. If you use the 2-step verification then any App passwords will need to be re-done too. https://www.dropbox.com/help/363/en

Already done that also i changed all other passwords that my wife uses for her online stuff.
Kinda got into a argument with her as she was using passwords like 0000
I told her to use a bit more brains considering that its my job in the security industry and she is aware of all the crap that can happen. I tell her nearly everyday how dumb people can be and then find out she is amonghst them... lmao.
Her reply was: Well its fast and easy and whats the odds a new tablet get infected?
I was like: Facepalm

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I am sorry, for an unknown reason I wasn't able to access MalwareTips yesterday.
Here is what you should do on a Windows PC:

*Make sure that your device is charged over 80% to avoid any shutdown during the process.
*Under Settings > Developer Options, turn on USB Debugging.
  • If you already have Kies installed, skip this step. Otherwise here is the link (needed for USB drivers): http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...ath=SW/201402/20140221104324625/KiesSetup.exe
  • Download the following firmware for Samsung SM-T210 (Never try flashing this on any other device!): http://samsung-updates.com/details/20324/Galaxy_Tab_3_7.0_WiFi/SM-T210/PHN/T210XXAMKE.html
  • Download Odin3 version 3.07: https://www.copy.com/s/zowadQ32bn9T/NasirTech_Odin307.zip
  • Switch off your Tablet and boot Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 T210 into Download Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power keys together until you get the warning message, now press Volume Up key to proceed to Download Mode.
  • Extract the downloaded Odin3.07 zip file and run the Odin3 v3.07.exe file as an administrator
  • Now connect your Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 T210 to your computer via USB cable
  • In Odin3 screen, you should see a COM Port number like “0:[COM7]” at ID:COM section and “Added!” text at the message box. This means your device has been detected by Odin3.
    Odin3+Window.JPG
  • Make sure that, only the “Auto Reboot” and “F. Reset Time” options are checked.
  • Now, extract the downloaded firmware zip file, you’ll find a firmware file with extension .tar.md5
  • In Odin screen, click on PDA button and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension
  • Now, click on the Start button to begin the installation process, wait for a few minutes.
  • Once completed, you would see “PASS!” message in ID:COM port having green background
  • Your Tablet should automatically reboot after completion
  • You can now disconnect your Tablet from computer, and you are done!
Tutorial was based on the one from this site.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
First of all Thanks for the great step by step guide.
Secondly the tablet is right now at the repair shop.
Overnight the tablet got 100% encrypted and warranty is still active so my wife made the call to bring it to the shop and demand that they fix it. (afterall its her tablet) And your fair warning saying that it will void the warranty (while not having 100% in terms of recovery as we do not yet know if everything will work) so she made that call to at least have the tablet cleaned...
Which they are doing, however she will NOT get a prepacked tablet the shop told her she will get the tablet back malware free BUT everything else she needs to do her self.
So i request this topic to be put on pauze till we got the tablet back so we can work from there.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.