Guide | How To Google Will Use Your Profile Information In Their Ads – Unless You Opt Out

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Google has just updated their terms of service allowing them to use your Google profile information in their ads. Which is worrying, because who really reads terms and conditions?

The scheme is called “Shared Endorsements” and Google describes it as follows:
To ensure that your recommendations reach the people you care about, Google sometimes displays your reviews, recommendations and other relevant activity throughout its products and services. This sometimes includes shopping contexts, like the Google Play music store, and ads. Your profile name and photo may appear with the recommendation.

For example, if you search for “Italian restaurants”, you might see an ad for a nearby restaurant along with your friend’s favorable review. Or, in Google Play, you might see that another friend has +1′d a new song or album.
But what Google fails to realise is that perhaps you don’t want your “friends” to know that you have +1′d a new song or album. They are going to use your information and your opinions without your permission – unless you opt out.

Yes, that’s right. There is a way to opt out of “Shared Endorsements”. Simply go to this link and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Then uncheck this box and click “Save”. Then you’re out.
sharedendorsements2.png

And in future, maybe all of us need to consider the possibility of actually reading terms and conditions.

Source: Makeuseof.com

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks @KaptainBug!:) I agree, 'who really reads terms and conditions?',o_O but I'm glad someone at Makeuseof.com did, and of course you read their article!;) I went directly to the link you provided, and made sure the trusty box was as clear as the water is before it becomes my morning coffee.:rolleyes::D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.