Has Windows 10 already started preloading on your PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
I too have the key mentioned here.
Why the same keys for everyone?

At this point of time, only God knows.

EDIT: Half of the programs are reporting: (YTMG3----- key) and half of them are reporting the other one. Damn you - Microsoft!

Last edited:
Reactions: juhful
D

Deleted member 2913

At this point of time, only God knows.
I did an inplace upgrade i.e upgrade within Win 7 system with ISO.
So users those did upgrade with Windows Updates i.e GWX too got the mentioned key or unique key?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Windows 10 upgrade went pretty smooth on one of my dual booted machines.Emsisoft Internet Security crashed so for now I uninstalled it and installed ESS 8 which installed without a problem

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Windows 10 upgrade went pretty smooth on one of my dual booted machines.Emsisoft Internet Security crashed so for now I uninstalled it and installed ESS 8 which installed without a problem
My EIS didn't crash but the firewall does not work in Windows 10, so essentially I have EAM and am using Windows firewall until Emsisoft has a fix.

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
I also tried putting my key there and it didn't work. This is getting insane. We must call Microsoft now.

I tried another program called ProduKey by NirSoft and it told me the one gave by @MTUser (YTMG3-----)

Microsoft doesn't know how their system works LOL.

I contacted them via Live chat and they say that isn't normal. They connected remotely to my PC using logmein rescue and checked the key. The solution was "format do 8.1 and then upgrade, you should get a different (non generic) key".

They don't know how their licence system works... GJ Microsoft!

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014

I contacted them via Live chat and they say that isn't normal. They connected remotely to my PC using logmein rescue and checked the key. The solution was "format do 8.1 and then upgrade, you should get a different (non generic) key".

I am speechless here.

Surtur

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 11, 2013
So, is there a huge update for Windows 10? It installed three updates, but that's all I get - this is a completely fresh system.

Check if you have the update KB3074683. If so, then everything is up to date.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
1 hour and 20 mins everything ran smoothly. One thing to note, Upgrade didn't get rolled out yet where I live, so I simply needed to do a force update via command prompt.

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Upgrade took about 1 hr & 45 min, everything went smoothly. So far so good, I'm doing a little tweaking at the moment. I noticed that Adguard for windows had to be manually reconnected for about 3 or 4 reboots after installing Win 10,
but its now working properly.

flac

Sep 20, 2013
I didn't even get the GWX icon so i found a solution delete all files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and then the GWx icon appeared then i had to upgrade windows 8.1 with the windows 10 creation tool kit also put the windows 10 on a usb stick.#
Then i did a fresh instal from the usb stick done the diskpart thing before to align ssd skipped the insert key when windows 10 booted up it was activated took me all bleeding day.
But i found the toolkit was the quickest way to download wiondows.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013

Microsoft told me that everyone will have the generic keys and activation is based on your hardware ID, that's why they say to upgrade first so that they get your hardware ID and then do the clean install and do not enter any product key during setup and when finished upon connecting to the internet your Windows 10 should be activated.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I didn't do anything yet except downloaded and installed an optional update for Windows 8.1, and now I have no Windows 10 Upgrade Icon on the tray. What could have possibly happened?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
My EIS didn't crash but the firewall does not work in Windows 10, so essentially I have EAM and am using Windows firewall until Emsisoft has a fix.
I could have probably reinstalled EIS but I will use ESS until Emsisoft comes out with a fix

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
You aren't supposed to enter a key for the upgrade; it will activate automatically. Eventually.

Your key is actually part generic key and your unique installation ID, so I read somewhere on Microsoft's site.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@XhenEd

1) Delayed updates may still occur until for the next week since the amount of users who want to grab are still outburst.
2) Try to force an update via CMD many times, sometimes its not totally quick to pop up the Windows 10 updates.
3) Patiently wait sometimes, regions are vary on the delivery rate. ;)
4) install all updates as possible and keep refreshing.

Reactions: XhenEd

VirusAttak

Level 4
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
I didn't do anything yet except downloaded and installed an optional update for Windows 8.1, and now I have no Windows 10 Upgrade Icon on the tray. What could have possibly happened?
If you've previously reserved your windows 10 copy then you don't even need that icon, just upgrade it from ISO.

Reactions: XhenEd

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
@XhenEd

1) Delayed updates may still occur until for the next week since the amount of users who want to grab are still outburst.
2) Try to force an update via CMD many times, sometimes its not totally quick to pop up the Windows 10 updates.
3) Patiently wait sometimes, regions are vary on the delivery rate. ;)
4) install all updates as possible and keep refreshing.
I'm not planning to upgrade yet. :) I'm still waiting for my order (USB Flash Drive 32Gig) to arrive. I'll create a bootable rescue disk first before upgrading. :D

If you've previously reserved your windows 10 copy then you don't even need that icon, just upgrade it from ISO.
Yeah, I already reserved my copy. But I didn't download the installer yet. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
Microsoft told me that everyone will have the generic keys and activation is based on your hardware ID, that's why they say to upgrade first so that they get your hardware ID and then do the clean install and do not enter any product key during setup and when finished upon connecting to the internet your Windows 10 should be activated.

Hi,

That's nice to hear. I tried Microsoft support but they said me what I have said above, and then they asked me to speak with another Microsoft tech via live chat and remote assistance to check the generic licence thing and the second tech told me the same thing "this isn't normal, upgrading should generate a new key, you need to format again to W8.1 and repeat the hole upgrade process again".

But now I have a question about what they have said to you. My licence was a 8.1 pro retail, that means I can change my hardware or device, it isn't oem... But this way, if it's registered by hardware ID, a retail licence is basically an oem licence, right? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.