how can I make a virtual machine for free for malware testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
You can use Oracle VirtualBox.

The manual for using VirtualBox is here.

Basically you create a new machine, assign part of your hard drive space and memory to it (so they'll act as the VM's HDD and RAM). After that install your operating system of choice on the VM (either by using Windows installation discs or mounting an .iso image) and you're good to go.

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
I for tests use VirtualBox. U must create new VM, assign Virtual HDD and install OS example from DVD. If u want record u must select balanced RAM. I have 4GB ram and for VM have assigned 1536MB ram(1.5GB). For shared files create Shared Folder(Example link to ur external HDD). And install VirtualBox Tools to have full resolution(On new version you can resize very simple VM) :)

Good Luck in testing ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Virtualbox is the only so far open-source/free VM program to conduct testing with an OS. Basically you need a good specification of your computer to obtain the assigned RAM and default Video Graphics is fine already.

Don't mess up with the network settings, NAT is assigned by default for isolating the network address and avoid viruses jump through streams of connection especially worms.

Reactions: LabZero and scot

DanielN

Nov 14, 2014
Virtual Box is free as others have noted, although I like VMware much better. If you just want to test some malware, I'd recommend you download the free trial, which allows you to try it out for 30 days.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You can obtain Windows 7 or 8.1 ISO images for free and legally. Or use Windows 10 Preview. Do not use Windows XP.

Choose either VirtualBox or VMWare Player. Please be aware of any incompatibilities with security software.

Running malware on a test system, or virtual machine is dangerous to systems on the network and, or attached peripherals.

You should acknowledge that you are fully responsible.

Check the Malware Talk section for related threads.

Installing an OS inside a VM is easy, look up their how to or Google it. And don't bother with activation, a reinstall can be done instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: LabZero
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.