Not open for further replies.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Windows 7 and 8.1 users who have started their system today may have noticed a new update notification in the operating system's system tray area that allows them to reserve an upgrade to Microsoft's upcoming operating system Windows 10.

Microsoft Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade to systems running a genuine version of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, and the update notification is part of Microsoft's effort to notify users about the offer and get as many users as possible to upgrade to Windows 10.

The company pushed out several updates for Windows 7 and Windows 8 in previous months that prepare systems running those operating systems for Windows 10.

We have compiled the list of updates for Windows 7 and 8 which you may want to check out for additional information.

The upgrade notification displayed today on systems running previous versions of Windows 10 allows users to register for the upgrade

Read more here. http://www.ghacks.net/2015/06/01/ho...-notification-in-earlier-versions-of-windows/

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
lol i didn't get that notification and i'm running win8 on my laptop.maybe i have to wait longer.

Possibly, but did you try to check for windows update? (it normally triggers the prompt to show up)

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I just got the "prompt" without actually doing anything!!:):)
Could be a slow rollout depending on region!
tburwtykkonwczmmsulryjbjgyhxzircbypbtmdignulqmxdrbnlzxyvstipurnlfwubawlzhijsvgypmjuhhdrcbrgatvsmwhal

Maxxx58

Level 13
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Haha, I didn't have any notification about this, I wish I have a chance to block this notification :p:D

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I am NOT going to remove several updates, which, as stated "While you should not see any side-effects after the removal, it may be a good idea to monitor the system after the removal to make sure that this is indeed the case"." I really do not understand why Microsoft just does not provide a simple 'No Thank You' on the upgrade screen, then it will not appear again - unless of course you choose otherwise.

I

illumination

If you are not planning on upgrading any time soon or at all, you can permanently disable the notification by following these couple steps.

I would NOT follow the steps listed in the OP's link.

Go to add/remove programs, on the left hand side, select "installed updates"
Look for update "KB3035583"
Click on this update and select uninstall. It will prompt for a reboot, once rebooted, go to windows update, and click "check for updates", when the "recommended" update appears again, right click it, and select "hide"

This will stop the notifications.

On some systems left over remnants may be found in system file "windows\system32\gwx", although i did not find any on mine, and yes, i uninstalled this update, as i have no plans of upgrading.

The patch creates a new directory in C:\Windows\System32\GWX and installs some files. And, if you dig through the directory full of files, locate and view the config.xml file, it reveals clues to possibly confirm that KB3035583 is a Windows 10 upgrade preparatory package. The file's structure contains 'phase' headers showing: RTM, GA, UpgradeDetected, UpgradeDownloadInProgress, UpgradeDownloaded, UpgradeReadyToInstall, UpgradeReadySetupInProgress, UpgradeSetupCompatBlock, UpgradeSetupRolledBack, UPgradeSetupFailed, UpgradeSetupComplete

Source of quote : http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/...ows-10-upgrade-alert-windows-81-and-windows-7

Last edited by a moderator:

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
I have a question:

Instead of upgrading from 7 to 10, and if I want to do a clean install through a stand alone ISO, can I activate it with my Win 7 key?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well no matter which steps should be simple or better to block the notification, as long you have an enough time to decide, relax and do your productive task so for the time comes, you should accept that you will purchase a license once upgrade expires. :)

@Sher : That should be valid as possible since its eligible to conduct an upgrade/clean install as long license key is been verified.

Last edited:

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
I don't like the " Internet service fees may apply " part. No thanks Micropoo.! I guess they are planning to charge for updates. This company is worth Billions & it looks like they are getting real greedy now. A Mac in my future is coming in a few years from now.:mad::mad::mad:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I don't like the " Internet service fees may apply " part. No thanks Micropoo.! I guess they are planning to charge for updates. This company is worth Billions & it looks like they are getting real greedy now. A Mac in my future is coming in a few years from now.:mad::mad::mad:
I think it just refers to the the bandwidth used to download the update. Well at least i hope so. :eek:;):D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

The Windows 10 Upgrade is for a limited-time only, it's a free upgrade.

The charges only occur if you exceed your bandwidth usage. If you have unlimited usage then you should be trouble-free. Anyway, you already pay for your Internet.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
The Windows 10 Upgrade is for a limited-time only, it's a free upgrade.

The charges only occur if you exceed your bandwidth usage. If you have unlimited usage then you should be trouble-free. Anyway, you already pay for your Internet.
That is what i posted. ;)

Reactions: Venustus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.