Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
lol i didn't get that notification and i'm running win8 on my laptop.maybe i have to wait longer.
Did you install both KB updates?

I just installed mine now, awaiting to see if it has an affect on my PC with my current privacy settings.

@frogboy You didn't sound convinced that was the reason, "I think".

Reactions: Kent and frogboy

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
Windows 7 and 8.1 users who have started their system today may have noticed a new update notification in the operating system's system tray area that allows them to reserve an upgrade to Microsoft's upcoming operating system Windows 10.

Microsoft Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade to systems running a genuine version of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, and the update notification is part of Microsoft's effort to notify users about the offer and get as many users as possible to upgrade to Windows 10.

The company pushed out several updates for Windows 7 and Windows 8 in previous months that prepare systems running those operating systems for Windows 10.

We have compiled the list of updates for Windows 7 and 8 which you may want to check out for additional information.

The upgrade notification displayed today on systems running previous versions of Windows 10 allows users to register for the upgrade

Read more here. http://www.ghacks.net/2015/06/01/ho...-notification-in-earlier-versions-of-windows/
Which regions are getting this notifacation? US,Canada?

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Did you install both KB updates?

I just installed mine now, awaiting to see if it has an affect on my PC with my current privacy settings.

@frogboy You didn't sound convinced that was the reason, "I think".
I never am convinced about anything. :oops::eek::D

Reactions: Venustus and Kent

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Umbra GXW Triggers in Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Windows > Setup > gwx and GWXTriggers
Or C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Setup

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
If you are not planning on upgrading any time soon or at all, you can permanently disable the notification by following these couple steps.

I would NOT follow the steps listed in the OP's link.

Go to add/remove programs, on the left hand side, select "installed updates"
Look for update "KB3035583"
Click on this update and select uninstall. It will prompt for a reboot, once rebooted, go to windows update, and click "check for updates", when the "recommended" update appears again, right click it, and select "hide"

This will stop the notifications.

On some systems left over remnants may be found in system file "windows\system32\gwx", although i did not find any on mine, and yes, i uninstalled this update, as i have no plans of upgrading.

Source of quote : http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/...ows-10-upgrade-alert-windows-81-and-windows-7
I found these files but cannot delete any of them.Not sure if it is a must or just hide the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.