Guide | How To How to increase responsiveness of your Windows system

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
P

Plexx

Thread author
umbrapolaris said:
Those steps just lighten the system's weight by removing junk files and old useless registry keys, they don't speed up or restore the original responsiveness/boot time, it is why i don't include them in my guide.

Of course every users should do them as part of the maintenance procedure.

I am sure that a newly defragged HDD compared to a 1 year old non defreagged HDD that had constantly been having installations and removals of programs and games would have more responsiveness and boot time achievements than the non-defragged one.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
[split]

Biozfear said:
I am sure that a newly defragged HDD compared to a 1 year old non defreagged HDD that had constantly been having installations and removals of programs and games would have more responsiveness and boot time achievements than the non-defragged one.

sure, but it will not be so much visible than disabling some services, for example.

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Shouldn't we be staying away from defragmentation tools if the hard disk is a SSD? I've heard yes and no, just curious...

tallorder

Level 6
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
With time your Windows system loose its fast responsiveness, and start to slowdown or even crawl.

There is my few tips to keep it responsive.

Startup entries

Some developers like to add startup processes to their softwares with good reasons but sometimes it is not worth the shot.
Do you need your Video/Audio player, Phone apps, graphic soft to start with windows? surely not !

So you must disable them from the startup, you have many tools to do it, but i will choose the simplest ones

1- Msconfig.exe

Go to start menu -> click on "run..." -> type msconfig -> startup tab -> uncheck the entries of applications you don't need to start with windows.

2- Ccleaner

This very effective software is not only good at cleaning your system fro junk files and old registry's entries but also it help to delete useless startup entries

open it, go to "Tools" -> Startup -> uncheck the unwanted entries

3- Wise Care 365

This free soft can be installed or be used as portable.

open it, go to "System Tuneup" tab -> Startup Manager -> let it populated the list -> turn off the non-essentials entries that slow down the boot (depending your taste and suggestions given by the soft)

Services

Windows is made to be easy to use and focus on a large types of users, unfortunately if you are not a "mediavore" or "remote controller" kind of user, many services will be useless to you. so you can set them on "manual " or simply disable them.

Be sure to understand what you will disable, some services have redundancies that may affect your normal use of Windows

Again you have many ways and tools to do it.

1- Services.msc

the built-in services monitor, you can tweak it using Black Viper services configuration guide

2- SMART
: A portable apps that have some pre-configured setting

3- Advanced Win Service Manager
: It show the services and indicate if some of them are suspicious or even dangerous

4- Wise Care 365:

open it, go to "System Tuneup" tab -> Startup Manager -> Services -> let it populated the list -> turn off the non-essentials entries that slow down the boot (depending your taste and suggestions given by the soft)

Contextual Menu

Again softwares like to put some entries to your contextual menu that slowdown its appearance and make it messy

you have many ways to reduce it, there is a good guide with 2 very useful tools

How to Clean Up Your Messy Windows Context Menu

Malwares

Malwares are quite known responsible for make your system crawling, be sure to visit safe websites and use a security solutions (AVs, sandboxing, etc..)

Antivirus

As malwares will cripple your system you must use an Antivirus or other security application to be safe from them, unfortunately some are heavy on your resources, be sure to take a light one.
Remember that using 2 or more AVs in same time will make reduce your security, create issues & conflicts and of course slowdown your system (unless they are complementary)

Here you will find a good thread about light AVs/Suites :

Which is the lightest antivirus/security suite you used in last 6 months?

Responsiveness tools

i have those tool in mind, some others surely exist.

Process Lasso allows you to monitor the responsiveness of your system, CPU,RAM, etc... usage. Use it with cautions

Soluto will check which apps slow you down, just follow the steps. Tips: since Soluto slow the boot time for its scanning, use it only one time, write down the faulty apps, then uninstall Soluto.

Wise Care 365

open it, go to "System Tuneup" tab -> System Optimizer-> Tick the entries you want .

Registry Defrag tools

This is a controversial topic, some says that defragmenting the registry aford nothing to the speed when others says it does, anyway if you want to try there some tools:

Wise Care 365:

open it, go to "System Tuneup" tab -> Registry Defrag -> Run it

That is all i can think about, i will update the thread if i find new tweaks.

Thanks for reading ! :D
Just put on Wise Care and ran it; that's where I've been for the last 3 hrs.., that and FOOD!

Haven't really been able to tell if much has improved yet, will notice more tomorrow. Thanks. I may not have tried it, except I trust your opinions and put on the light version!

Reactions: frogboy

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Random question... years ago a friend of mine told me that Norton had a tool that could modify where data is stored on the hard disk. For example, it can move all important or highly used files and folders closer to the centre of the hard disk, so less spins are required and less pin reach is required. Does that tool still exist? Also... wouldn't a SSD make such a tool redundant, since SSD don't spin? I may be way off base here...

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Bit late to the party but seeing an unanswered question an advice that misses some info regarding defragmentation.

• On Windows 10 automatic defrag will not defrag an SSD, it will optimize/TRIM instead.
  • Placing files in order like Norton Speeddisk works against TRIM and should never be done on an SSD.

Reactions: Adz.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.