I just installed Norton in 2021 and I am impressed

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Hi, I think looking through the test the protection agent must of crashed from the amount of work it was trying to do... I didn't even look into the system, after the amount of stuff that had been running, the only thing any sane person should do at that point is format/reinstall windows.
(also note that that the IDS is detecting but actually blocking that traffic automatically) So whilst norton let the malware run and try to talk, my gateway stopped it & warned me of it (which would of prevented the system communicating to get the payloads)
If there was no IDS there.... the system likely would of been part of a botnet.

my tests are pretty simple & crude....
hammer an av with 1000 fresh malware
anything that blocks it running 100% is a pass (so far defender/avast free/mbam & f-secure safe are the only ones out of what ive tested)

bit def free/kaspaerky free/sophos/norton etc all fail

but dont forget to take my tests with a grain of salt.... they are not realistic.... you are not going to get hit with 1000 malwares one after the other in the space of 10 minutes.... under normal usage norton is probably fine!
I understand. But if throwing a bunch of things at the protection service made it crash, then that is a bad thing, obviously.

If you search your system for *.dmp files, then you might find Norton process memory dumps (*.dmp) which would indicate the process crashed. You can also search through the Event Viewer Application logs (tedious). But you get the idea.

Reactions: kC77

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Hi, I think looking through the test the protection agent must of crashed from the amount of work it was trying to do... I didn't even look into the system, after the amount of stuff that had been running, the only thing any sane person should do at that point is format/reinstall windows.
(also note that that the IDS is detecting but actually blocking that traffic automatically) So whilst norton let the malware run and try to talk, my gateway stopped it & warned me of it (which would of prevented the system communicating to get the payloads)
If there was no IDS there.... the system likely would of been part of a botnet.

my tests are pretty simple & crude....
hammer an av with 1000 fresh malware
anything that blocks it running 100% is a pass (so far defender/avast free/mbam & f-secure safe are the only ones out of what ive tested)

bit def free/kaspaerky free/sophos/norton etc all fail

but dont forget to take my tests with a grain of salt.... they are not realistic.... you are not going to get hit with 1000 malwares one after the other in the space of 10 minutes.... under normal usage norton is probably fine!
You mean Defender at Andy’s high settings or max? I wonder what’s the difference if you set it at defaults.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sorrento and kC77

VAR_123

Level 1
Verified
Dec 4, 2021
I tried some of the best antivirus [Kaspersky, Norton, ESET, Bitdefender, Avast] for the past 2 years. For a few months, I tested and used all of these antivirus programs.I mainly want the best web protection. Finally, I was shortlisted and ended up with Norton. It is a great product. Today I purchased Norton Antivirus Plus. At first, I thought about purchasing Norton 360 Standard, which has [VPN and SafeCam], but I already have Freedom VPN and Bitdefender VPN through giveaways. Norton VPN sometimes gets slow speeds. Comming to the SafeCam feature, even if Norton or other antivirus has this feature, I don't trust it and I simply disable it in Device Manager or use the camera's shutter button to block it.
I purchased Norton Antivirus Plus 1 PC for 3 years.

Norton.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
G
I tried some of the best antivirus [Kaspersky, Norton, ESET, Bitdefender, Avast] for the past 2 years. For a few months, I tested and used all of these antivirus programs.I mainly want the best web protection. Finally, I was shortlisted and ended up with Norton. It is a great product. Today I purchased Norton Antivirus Plus. At first, I thought about purchasing Norton 360 Standard, which has [VPN and SafeCam], but I already have Freedom VPN and Bitdefender VPN through giveaways. Norton VPN sometimes gets slow speeds. Comming to the SafeCam feature, even if Norton or other antivirus has this feature, I don't trust it and I simply disable it in Device Manager or use the camera's shutter button to block it.

View attachment 266009
Good call.

At first, I thought I was gonna miss Kaspersky's Application Control, since I am a bit paranoid about black list software, and KIS' AC gave me that sense of a whitelist (set to not let execute any unknown). Luckily, with a different approach, Norton handles this technology too. With Norton Insight it gives a brief description of the file you want to execute, compares the hash in their server, provides information about it and doesn't let it execute unless you approve if the file is unknown. Also, if you allow a file, and this app later updates itself, therefore changing the hash, you're gonna most likely be prompted by Norton's Firewall asking for permission for this modified file to connect to the internet.

I find this approach safe enough, and less buggy and tedious than Kaspersky's Application Control, which I still find to be a very good product.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
G

Good call.

At first, I thought I was gonna miss Kaspersky's Application Control, since I am a bit paranoid about black list software, and KIS' AC gave me that sense of a whitelist (set to not let execute any unknown). Luckily, with a different approach, Norton handles this technology too. With Norton Insight it gives a brief description of the file you want to execute, compares the hash in their server, provides information about it and doesn't let it execute unless you approve if the file is unknown. Also, if you allow a file, and this app later updates itself, therefore changing the hash, you're gonna most likely be prompted by Norton's Firewall asking for permission for this modified file to connect to the internet.

I find this approach safe enough, and less buggy and tedious than Kaspersky's Application Control, which I still find to be a very good product.
^ You pretty much hit the nail on the head! Norton Insight is very good!

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014

View attachment 266009

Nice to see you’ve opted out of the “subscription renewal” (keep an eye on it)
It’s very VERY bad business

Peace to all ✌️

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
I like Norton, and even have subscription for 3 years, the things that makes me dont wanna use it are :
  1. Cryptomining ( come on, even if you can disable it, dont place it in a AV in the first place )
  2. The auto renewal they basically force you to use, eventhough you can disable it.
  3. The clunky interface and randomly logging out
  4. The antivirus first downloads the file , then checks and then decides ? Strange way of scanning
  5. Norton Safe Web, most awful extention that forces you to install all the other Norton ones too

Enjoy !

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I like Norton, and even have subscription for 3 years, the things that makes me dont wanna use it are :
  1. Cryptomining ( come on, even if you can disable it, dont place it in a AV in the first place )
  2. The auto renewal they basically force you to use, eventhough you can disable it.
  3. The clunky interface and randomly logging out
  4. The antivirus first downloads the file , then checks and then decides ? Strange way of scanning
  5. Norton Safe Web, most awful extention that forces you to install all the other Norton ones too

Enjoy !
I recently moved over from Kaspersky. I tried Bitdefender, but didn't like the lack of protection tweaks. Love the strong behavior Sonar protection and one of a kind Smart Firewall (both are able to be set to aggressive, for tighter protection). Also, as @RoboMan said, Norton Insight is a winner.

I do have a subscription to Bitdefender, but decided Norton gives me clearer control over suspicious applications with Norton Insight (see @RoboMan post above) and Sonar/Firewall set to aggressive.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
I recently moved over from Kaspersky. I tried Bitdefender, but didn't like the lack of protection tweaks. Love the strong behavior Sonar protection and one of a kind Smart Firewall (both are able to be set to aggressive, for tighter protection). Also, as @RoboMan said, Norton Insight is a winner.

I do have a subscription to Bitdefender, but decided Norton gives me clearer control over suspicious applications with Norton Insight (see @RoboMan post above) and Sonar/Firewall set to aggressive.
I understand, for me BTS Is perfect now.

VAR_123

Level 1
Verified
Dec 4, 2021
Hi, perhaps it is me, but does Norton allow Torrent Traffic/App?
I have heard it does not.
Please enlighten me?:)
Norton blocks torrent apps, but Norton allows traffic and apps only when you add torrent apps to Program Exclusions in Administrative Settings.
Allow torrent apps in Norton Firewall-Program Control.

Reactions: Sorrento

VAR_123

Level 1
Verified
Dec 4, 2021
Nice to see you’ve opted out of the “subscription renewal” (keep an eye on it)
It’s very VERY bad business

Peace to all ✌️
I am from India, and a recent RBI (Reserve Bank of India) directive states that there will be no automatic recurring payments for various services such as utility bills, phone recharge, DTH, and OTT, among others, as additional factor of authentication (AFA) becomes mandatory.
Even Norton tricked me into auto renewal, saying you get an extra 3 months free if you auto renewal. So I tried to auto renew, but when I had to choose my country (India), there was no India in the country section. I think the new RBI rules kicked in. Finally, the RBI rescued me from automatic renewal. I think all countries should do this.
India’s stringent recurring payments rule goes into effect – TechCrunch

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I am from India, and a recent RBI (Reserve Bank of India) directive states that there will be no automatic recurring payments for various services such as utility bills, phone recharge, DTH, and OTT, among others, as additional factor of authentication (AFA) becomes mandatory.
Even Norton tricked me into auto renewal, saying you get an extra 3 months free if you auto renewal. So I tried to auto renew, but when I had to choose my country (India), there was no India in the country section. I think the new RBI rules kicked in. Finally, the RBI rescued me from automatic renewal. I think all countries should do this.
India’s stringent recurring payments rule goes into effect – TechCrunch
Prevent recurring payments is something that other countries should follow India's banking system - What countries do I don't know but the UK could certainly do with it. I use PayPal & you can opt of of these payments & I often get a program I bought years ago has tried to renew & failed often at an extortionate rate & they try again & again (to no avail)

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
1653202438646.png

Because its really for me ( my systems ) the only AV that runs smooth, no nagging pop ups like BD and detection wise its great.
And they offered me a upgrade from Deluxe to Premium 10 devices for free. So this AV is a no brainer :)
System impact : One of the lowest of all the AV out there.

1653202692278.png

1653202743244.png

I know i was bragging about Norton before, but they changed alot , since i last test it.
The Extention is not bragging anymore, so far no logging out of the AV.
After install no need to update many times to new version, it now downloads the most recent version when you install it.
Auto renewal is now more easy to turn off.
The phising and file insight improved alot.

And its fast, really fast.

Last edited:

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
View attachment 266807

Because its really for me ( my systems ) the only AV that runs smooth, no nagging pop ups like BD and detection wise its great.
And they offered me a upgrade from Deluxe to Premium 10 devices for free. So this AV is a no brainer :)
System impact : One of the lowest of all the AV out there.

View attachment 266808
View attachment 266809

I know i was bragging about Norton before, but they changed alot , since i last test it.
The Extention is not bragging anymore, so far no logging out of the AV.
After install no need to update many times to new version, it now downloads the most recent version when you install it.
Auto renewal is now more easy to turn off.
The phising and file insight improved alot.

And its fast, really fast.
You know what is better? They offered me to upgrade my deluxe plan to Norton 360 platinum plus II

I mean thanks Norton

• Sad
Reactions: L0ckJaw

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Norton has excellent customer service and has for years.
However, I didn't know they could set up the subscription plan so easily, but I think it must be marketing, so you don't go elsewhere :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.