Kaspersky Technical Support - Very Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
I am just relating my experiences thus far with Kaspersky technical support.

To be perfectly honest, it has been nothing but an aggravating, frustrating, unacceptable user experience.

I have had an issue with Trusted Application Mode and Application Control. App Control will randomly move an entire block of 40 or 50 apps from the Trusted to Untrusted zone.

I've reported this issue to Kaspersky multiple times. Each time they will request to reset the settings to default - which I do as requested. Then I re-enable TAM and the same issue occurs. Then they will request a run of a system info tool. If the report indicates an "incompatible" software...case closed.

I removed all "incompatible" software - which could be something as irrelevant as a harmless, non-conflicting registry remnant. In fact, Kaspersky has a CleanUp tool that uses an .ini file to detect conflicting registry entries during installation. On my system it never found anything... and installed without a hitch.

I submitted numerous reports - which as far as I can tell were never reviewed... as I was requested multiple times to generate duplicate reports of the same reports I submitted initially with my tech support request!

There is no continuity of support from one support technician to the next. When a new tech takes over the case I have to start all over again.

I'm now reporting this issue for the 8th time trying to get it resolved. And I would bet it will be a continuation of my experience with Kaspersky support thus far.

D

Deleted member 21043

Thread author
I have just read this thread and what you have said sounds appalling. An important feature which should be in every company is good customer support to help the customers with solving issues with the product or to answer any inquiries that they should have to ask.

Kaspersky should start buckling down and improve their customer support if this is the way you have been treated. 8 times you have reported the issue and you still have an unresolved issue? I accept in some cases a issue may not be able to be fixe e.g. due to a configuration on the system (say the user does not wish to fix the configuration).

It sounds like Kaspersky need to address your issue seriously and work on how they are going to fix it. You paid money for the product, right? You then deserve decent customer support, and to have the issue addressed properly and then afterwards fixed through a product update.

How long in have you been using your license? If the product maintains issues and they cannot help you fix it... I guess you could always ask for them to revoke your license and to have your money back (assuming the license is new, as in a month or two). This is usually why I recommend people to use a trial of the product before purchasing it, say on case of bugs on their system others do not experience which are not yet fixed (or in case of bad customer support to get them fixed, like in this case which you have described in the thread). However, I doubt they would be willing to revoke your license and give you your money back.

In the end you could always look into using another Antivirus product to protect your system. Just this time, once which is willing to support you with any issues you may have with their product.

H

hjlbx

Thread author

Thanks @Petrovic ... I did post on forum. They refer issue to Tech Support. Not much help on forum except basic config changes\mods.

I'm using the 30 - Day Trial as an evaluation - to get a "big picture" assessment of the complete product + support.

Product, as well all know is solid... there are bugs to be ironed-out like every other soft.

Plus I am advanced user with experience dealing with softs. Problems are not fixed easily... it takes time. However, all Kaspersky tech support has offered is "reset" settings to default and run this report tool. Run the report tool and every single time they come back with "incompatible" software so they can shut the case down.

Kaspersky tech support is rough... it's an ordeal that I think very, very few would tolerate.

E-mail support is never an easy thing...for both the user and the tech, but I have been very tolerant.

At this point though I honestly can say it is "absurd."

Last edited by a moderator:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
hjlbx, I was moved by your imparting your frustration:mad: on top of your difficulties, and am sorry to hear Customer Support has been a wash out.:( We've 2 weeks left for our own trial run of Kaspersky IS 2015. Following constant problems connecting to our banking site, my wife discovered we are only able to connect when not using Sandboxie. I have not been able to access settings as my password is not recognized.o_O Before suggesting that we have been here before, I stopped myself short because Emsisoft had been quite the opposite and, even in the thick of compatibility issues, both constantly & consistently responded within one day's time, and the same representative assigned was always there to lend suggestions and assistance. I do agree, you have reason to be appalled. I only hope your problems will be addressed within a reasonable time frame to salvage (at least in part) the unsatisfactory repetitions you have received thus far, and as these are clearly no longer isolated to Kaspersky's functionality being of greatest concern, I feel the essential foundations of trust as well as establishing a positive developer/client relationship by standing behind one's product with communication is (imho) as crucial a selling point as the security and peace of mind every security suite proffers to supply to us.

Last edited:

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
KLab's technical support has significantly declined over the past 12-24 months (at least for customers based out of the US) It has been outsourced (as per what I was told via Live Chat). Their support was decent to good 3-4 years ago. The combination of poor support who only gave responses mainly out of their KB articles which I had previously read and frequent software crashes drove me away. Most notable was the many times we were told to wait an indefinite period of time for a patch to fix compatibility with their password manager with the latest releases of Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome (which varied from 3 weeks to 6 or 8 weeks). They would say it would be released on X date, but sometimes it was 6+ weeks later. This rendered parts of their product not functioning like it was supposed to (if the plugin worked during this time, it only auto-filled passwords in Internet Explorer). Their recommendation to me on several occasion to this incompatibility was to revert to previous releases (Prior versions of Firefox or Google Chrome Browsers which would expose us to multiple vulnerabilities or use Firefox ESR). Furthermore, they made it where you could no longer export your passwords from their password database in their latest version (at the time it was PURE 3.0). After getting fed up, I took the time to write down about 115 logins and passwords and their respective websites from the password manager component because I decided not to renew my license. I am not trying to badmouth Kaspersky. I am just trying to let people know what my previous experience was with them.

It is a trade off. Kaspersky offers a product that provides very good protection. However, I have since moved on and am much happier with my current product. They provide excellent, prompt, professional and polite customer service. They are also very knowledgeable.

Thank you to MalwareTips, the Moderators, and the vendors who are generous on this site. I am greatful for the advice that everyone posts regarding their experiences with different vendors and software. It helps us make better choices. :D

A note to the person that recently bought a product or is in the trial mode. Their customer return/satisfaction product is for 30 days from the date of purchase. After that, I was not able to get a refund or any partial solution.

I would recommend ESET or Emsisoft to anyone looking for a good product with good support. I have been well pleased. Hats off to them!:)

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
I am just relating my experiences thus far with Kaspersky technical support.

To be perfectly honest, it has been nothing but an aggravating, frustrating, unacceptable user experience.

I have had an issue with Trusted Application Mode and Application Control. App Control will randomly move an entire block of 40 or 50 apps from the Trusted to Untrusted zone.

I've reported this issue to Kaspersky multiple times. Each time they will request to reset the settings to default - which I do as requested. Then I re-enable TAM and the same issue occurs. Then they will request a run of a system info tool. If the report indicates an "incompatible" software...case closed.

I removed all "incompatible" software - which could be something as irrelevant as a harmless, non-conflicting registry remnant. In fact, Kaspersky has a CleanUp tool that uses an .ini file to detect conflicting registry entries during installation. On my system it never found anything... and installed without a hitch.

I submitted numerous reports - which as far as I can tell were never reviewed... as I was requested multiple times to generate duplicate reports of the same reports I submitted initially with my tech support request!

There is no continuity of support from one support technician to the next. When a new tech takes over the case I have to start all over again.

I'm now reporting this issue for the 8th time trying to get it resolved. And I would bet it will be a continuation of my experience with Kaspersky support thus far.

hjlbx,

I sent you a PM. Let me know if it helps solve your issue, or at least get it to the right individual.

If anyone else is having issues, one thing I found helpful in the past when support was better was the following:

Another way to possibly get a resolution could be to use the Live Chat feature, talk with the tech and give them the ticket #. Tell them in brief how long it has been and the issue is still unresolved. In the past when tech support was better, the tech would ask for the support incident # so he could assign it to himself. I am not sure if it is still an option. It is worth a shot before giving up. If anyone is considering deciding on a security software product, evaluate your options and maybe do a trial of a company's software and reach out for support before you buy. (IMHO) the ones below are solid with good tech support.

ESET
Emsisoft

Good Add-on software:
HitmanPro and HitmanPro.Alert

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I thought Kaspersky would supply a good customer experience, but that's obviously not the case. I can only go on my experience, which I have spoken with tech support on four occasions. I had to email them a GSI log and they got back to me via telephone, then the second occasion they connected to my laptop. But I have heard in different regions, Kaspersky is very different, I never understand why.

I have tried trusted applications mode on my old laptop and it did not block unknown software, it showed up as blocked, but the software still installed. However, when it is turned off and use application mode untrusted it blocks it straight away.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I have tried trusted applications mode on my old laptop and it did not block unknown software, it showed up as blocked, but the software still installed. However, when it is turned off and use application mode untrusted it blocks it straight away.

If you enable "Load application rules from Kaspersky Security Network (KSN)," then KIS is going adware\riskware to install because it is in the KSN database and has not yet been rated as "Known_Bad."

I'm still trying to figure that one out... plus I can get no direct answer from Kaspersky support. The techs just keep referring me to KB articles and will not answer the questions I have submitted. I have a stack of e-mails and it is obvious that they are deliberately ignoring my queries.

I am not sure... but it appears to me there is a major bug with Trusted Applications Mode and Application Control. Perhaps it is only on 64 bit systems.

Reactions: PCGamer

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I always telephone them, then they cannot argue ;) If you call them, you get the chance to speak with customer service, or if you are a Kaspersky member then you get free tech support, you must, however have your original copy of the email you received when you placed the order, as there is a code on it. Took me ages to find the bloody receipt!

Yes, I am concerned about application control, can it be trusted to stop malware. I hope it's okay, as I really like Kaspersky. If you had to change what other software would you suggest, not Emsisoft as it messed up my Windows Metro Apps and I had a BSOD?

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Are Kaspersky aware of this detail? $ = Support :p

Their policy listed in My Kaspersky Account last time I logged in (~4 months) was that they only support "Commercial Licenses", and not trial licenses. They usually ask for your license key during a support case. I get it, but at the same time, if they want to get more customers........
A commercial license is any paid license, including any consumer license -it's just their terminology, whether it's bought from them or Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc....

Again, 2-4 years ago, their support and support engineers were good in the US. It seems to be no longer the case (including tech support in their forums). It wasn't a one time incident either. It is sad they resorted to this. I know how to do basic troubleshooting, I am about to graduate with a MIS degree :) (no offense, I don't think I am better than anyone else, in all seriousness!).

It's kind of like my school's cafeteria "Due to cutbacks, you are only allowed two small thin slices of chicken because it costs us too much. Only 2 small slices of pizza, and one scoop of said vegetable". You are free to come back for more during this current meal session but you cannot leave the cafeteria if you want more food. Lol. o_O

I get their point and see both sides. Bottom line for any company, customer retention is key. It costs more to get a new customer than to retain a current customer.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Yes, I am concerned about application control, can it be trusted to stop malware. I hope it's okay, as I really like Kaspersky. If you had to change what other software would you suggest, not Emsisoft as it messed up my Windows Metro Apps and I had a BSOD?

Yeah, I'm disappointed in Kaspersky's dodgy tech support... I think it is because I am using the trial.

I'm also disappointed in KIS' App Control issues... really disappointed.

As far as Application Control, on my system after I enabled Trusted Application Mode and disabled both "Trust digitally signed applications" and "Load application rules from Kaspersky Security Network", it would move 40+ apps from the Trusted to Untrusted zone.

The problem with default App Control settings is that it will allow the installation of adware\riskware. It's an easy fix though... just upload a file to Virus Total plus check its reputation in KSN before installing. However, to me the real value with Kaspersky is if I can create a default-deny system - which is not possible with the way Application Control works (not sure if it's that way be design or a bug).

You didn't follow up on the Emsi forum? They generally get the issue you experienced all sorted out in a short time.

In any case, right now, the only other software I can recommend is ESET Smart Security + VooDooShield Pro.

I would also consider VooDooShield Pro + Webroot Secure Anywhere (+ MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit Premium).

Your best protection is to create a default-deny system. In the face of an un-ending on-slaught of new malicious files, it's the only logical means of protection.

AppGuard will work just as well as VooDooShield, but configuration for "Lock-Down" mode is a real rigmarole.

Tony, you really should look into Quarri MyPOQ. I posted all the infos in the Other Softs sub-forum. Do a search for it. It's free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Ah, yes they only give tech support to paying customers, it took me ages to find the original email with license key etc., before they would talk to me, after that they are brilliant. Would Webroot, VoodooShield Pro, Malwarebytes Pro and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Pro we enough protection?

Reactions: PCGamer
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Ah, yes they only give tech support to paying customers, it took me ages to find the original email with license key etc., before they would talk to me, after that they are brilliant. Would Webroot, VoodooShield Pro, Malwarebytes Pro and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Pro we enough protection?

VooDooShield Pro is going to prevent the execution of un-whitelisted files.

Webroot (or ESET) will be there if you deliberately install an app, but somehow riskware\malicious code was surreptitiously installed.

MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit will protect against all previously reported exploits.

As I don't think Webroot has a firewall, I don't think you will be satisfied unless you add a Windows firewall monitor like BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control.

An Anti-Executable creates a default-deny system which protects against the vast majority of infections, but it doesn't cover every possible route, so that's why you have to add an AV and Anti-Exploit.

Really, for typical use, unless you are extremely click-happy, the above combo will be more than sufficient.

Are you Enemy-of-the-State No. 1 ?!

Not poking fun, just askin'... :D

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
...kind of like my school's cafeteria "Due to cutbacks, you are only allowed two small thin slices of chicken because it costs us too much. Only 2 small slices of pizza, and one scoop of said vegetable". You are free to come back for more during this current meal session but you cannot leave the cafeteria if you want more food. Lol. o_O

I get their point and see both sides. Bottom line for any company, customer retention is key. It costs more to get a new customer than to retain a current customer.
Thank you @soccer97. You'd brought laughter into our home when I had my wife pause the gloomy world new so I could read this excerpt to her aloud!:p:D

Reactions: soccer97
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Update... 5 days later...

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting Kaspersky Lab Technical Support. We understand that you are having issues using Trusted Application Mode.

We would like to apologize for all the inconvenience. We do appreciate you giving us an update regarding this matter and thank you for the files that you have sent. Please be advised that we will be doing an investigation regarding this issue. We will be getting in touch with you via email as soon as we have an update.

At least I made a blip on their radar... "Hey, hey, hey... potentially serious issue... you might want to take a closer look !!"

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
Well somewhere last 2012 when I had some issues with KIS 2012 my issues where solved through forum help and not through Tech Support. Tech support actually advised to post in the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.