Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Well it's Linux I love to have as my main OS :D

I don't buy a laptop with Windows OS. I've a separate disk.
I agree with jackuars.

Although an OS is not specifically addressing the topic of an under $600 lap top, it grants you further options to provide more bang for your buck!:p

Three points which reinforce this positive linux view:
  1. There is a vast number of linux distributions (varieties of OSs) to select from, and they are far less vulnerable to malware and infections than Windows.
  2. Finding the right OS is as accessible as reading about or asking members their opinions & experiences here, including which versions of linux are most recommended and their reasons why.
  3. Linux operating systems are absolutely free, and can be test driven before deciding which is the right one for you. The downloaded iso can be placed on a Disc, a USB, or installed directly into a virtual machine using VirtualBox.
I am typing from linux lubuntu. It's a safe and reliable version of Ubuntu especially designed for systems with older hardware and low RAM, though you'd be able to chose from a wider range of versions!:D

Edit: Read about the linux distro (OS) called Ubuntu MATE: http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Linux-Distributions/Ubuntu-MATE-Remix-103505.shtml

Last edited:

marvin

Thread author
Nov 25, 2014
That's all great and I would really use a Linux computer if given the chance to.The only problem is that I don't know where to find a
Laptop without os.
Does anybody know a place or website where I can buy them in the us?

Thanks for the help so far :)

Reactions: tonibalas

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
That's all great and I would really use a Linux computer if given the chance to.The only problem is that I don't know where to find a
Laptop without os.

You might try directly from the manufacturer of your choice. My refurbished Acer Aspire was ordered directly from Acer, but keep in mind it was a 3rd generation i5 in a world of 4th generation CPUs,:oops: something I'd learned much later.:confused:;)

I'd advise first securing your best deal that includes the features and the hardware you need and wish for. Also, choose the Windows OS you want. A linux distro is best added later anyway. You are not required to just have a single OS, and dual booting separate OSs remains a very real option for you down the road from now.

This leaves you free to choose New/or older models, and even *gasp* refurbished or used ones.:D

Last edited:

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
@marvin If you want to take a dive to linux i would recommend "Zorin OS" it's had a simple UI and you can have it setup like Windows

"http://zorin-os.com/free8.html"

7.png

You can also try Linux Mint, if GUI(Graphical User Interface) is what you prefer then head over to Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon
cinnamon.png

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

You can also try Linux Mint 17 Mate

mate.png

You can also try the Famous Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/

After trying Linux, if you find yourself attached to linux but still need Windows for stuff (gaming, Software Dev, etc) in such a scenario you don't have to fret, linux can be installed on Windows what this does is it runs Linux through Windows so if you say get bored after a while you can just un-install it like a regular program (though in such a setup you may lack performance).

or

You can dual boot with Windows (Advanced) in such a setup it will ask you whether you want to boot into either Linux or Windows, the good thing about this setup is that you get performance on both OS, but you will have some problems if you are not versed with messing with MBR (Master Boot Records) if say you plan to remove Linux.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Guys.
From my experience, any laptop brand you choose between ASUS, Acer, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba... those established brands, you won't get wrong (probably). My picks are always been Dell and ASUS. MSI makes good high-end gaming laptops (worth of mentioning).I fixed and have an opportunity to use a various brands and didn't find a correlation that for example "ASUS makes a bad sound devices on laptops" , "Dell is heating up".
It from laptop to laptop, machine to machine.
More money -> more quality, that's what always have been.

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Guys.
From my experience, any laptop brand you choose between ASUS, Acer, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba... those established brands, you won't get wrong (probably). My picks are always been Dell and ASUS. MSI makes good high-end gaming laptops (worth of mentioning).I fixed and have an opportunity to use a various brands and didn't find a correlation that for example "ASUS makes a bad sound devices on laptops" , "Dell is heating up".
It from laptop to laptop, machine to machine.
More money -> more quality, that's what always have been.

Spoken like a boss, but Acer Aspire is still forbidden :p. Unless you want to end up on the gallows :cool:. (j/k)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Laptop without os.

You may consult on this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/819umkzhuv33pyv/2014-11-17 - Laptop & Desktop.pdf?dl=0

PC Express is one of the leading computer related shops in Philippines and there are some NO Operating System bundled for laptops. :)

marvin

Thread author
Nov 25, 2014
I would prefer 15 inch computers ( I know I said 17 inches in the title)
Yeah that laptop is all right, all though
The bad reviews are kind of scaring me off
@BoraMurdar true

@jamescv7 jamescim sorry but I don't know what those prices were, they weren'tin dollars.

@mercurial I think I'd only use those OS's if I buy a computer without OS

I think cyber Monday will be my best bet for now

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
@marvin What @jamescv7 suggested was from a Philippine store. Yup 15' laptop is the ideal size, also just go browse some laptop from a local store or something, you requirement is nothing high-end so no matter what you choose you will be satisfied, just make sure to get at least and i3 with 8Gb RAM and decent graphic card so you can get a good display out when you connect it to a TV or something.

Cheers

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

marvin

Thread author
Nov 25, 2014
Yeah with decent graphics card you probably don't mean integrated Intel hd graphics right ?

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
@marvin Yeah though the iGPU is good it's not as good as a proper dedicated Graphics, also by having that you just future proof yourself a little, if you do decide to anything besides say stream/movies/ casual browsing.

Edit 1: If you are going for a full HD screen i am pretty sure there will be a dedicated graphic card with it, i think around $550 you should get what you are looking for.

Edit 2: How do you plan to watch movies? connect it to a better screen or the laptop itself?

Last edited:

marvin

Thread author
Nov 25, 2014
Do laptops with an Intel core and graphics card exists under 600$.
If yes then they did a good job hiding until now

Reactions: mercurial

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
@marvin Got this from best buy though sadly it doesn't have a dedicated GPU, rest looks good though.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy...lver/5831009.p?id=1219163972156&skuId=5831009

Do laptops with an Intel core and graphics card exists under 600$.
If yes then they did a good job hiding until now

hehe, ya i can't find any either. I guess your best bet is go check the store, but i don't think you will get both a full HD screen and a Dedicated Graphic under $700 atleast :p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.