Troubleshoot malewarebytes was used on my windows 8 now no internet

southkake

Thread author
Jan 30, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I have quarented the maleware
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I only used malewarebytes to scan and quarantine and now my shortcuts to internet explorer and chrome say the item browser exe that this shortcut refers to has changed or moved... and then I search for internet explorer and it wont work.
please help me:
I only used malewarebytes to scan and quarantine and now my shortcuts to internet explorer and chrome say the item browser exe that this shortcut refers to has changed or moved... and then I search for internet explorer and it wont work.

Reactions: jim lin

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
hello southkake

and welcome to MalwareTips

if you restore the items from quarantine it could fix your computer so at least you can get online

what did Malwarebytes find?

could it be a false positive and Mbam thinks it is real and quarantine it

we have a malware removal part on the forums with removal experts that can help

please you should read this

Preparation Guide Before Requesting Malware Removal Help
http://malwaretips.com/threads/preparation-guide-before-requesting-malware-removal-help.20334/

***READ ME BEFORE POSTING IN THIS FORUM***
http://malwaretips.com/threads/read-me-before-posting-in-this-forum.125/

then post for help here

Malware Removal Assistance
http://malwaretips.com/forums/malware-removal-assistance.10/

:)

James

Upvote 0

southkake

Thread author
Jan 30, 2015
reading isn't my strong point... the computer would not access the internet before the scan and malewarebytes had fixed my other computer so I was sure this would be a simple fix. I am including the scan info from malewarebytes. please help if you can

Attachments

• malewarebytes scan.txt
    54.7 KB · Views: 859
Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
most of what Malwarebytes found are "PUP 's" (potentially unwanted program)

potentially unwanted program may or maby not be a risk

Mbam quarantine the google updater and other stuff from google and is why chrome will not work but reinstalling chrome could fix that

for Internet Explorer

open the file explorer and go to your (C: drive and look in the programs files (x86) folder) in there look for the Internet Explorer folder

open that and look for the iexplorer icon and click on that now do's Internet Explorer start

if it do's right click on that icon and send it to the desktop (make short cut) that should get the IE icon back to your desktop

so this pc could not get online before you did the scan with Mbam? or after?

have you scanned for viruses with a Anti-Virus program ?

Malwarebytes IS NOT a Anti-virus program it is a Anti-Malware program and needs to be used with a AV program

if you do not wan't to read or ask for help in the Malware section of the forums i'm not sure how much help i can be for you

James

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
i just use Windows Defender that comes with Windows 8/8.1 but i'm a safe surfer and might not be for everyone

to be honest i'm not sure which AV is good right now because the way things change but i used to like Avast free and put it on
the pc's i worked on but now i'm not so sure about it because of things they have added in the newer versions have gave me
and others (if you read there forum) trouble

Avria free is also good but i do not like the Avira/ Ask toolbar

a lot off people on this forum seem to like 360 Internet Security/Total Security free

i'm really not sure about payed for Anti-Virus Programs as i would use the free AV's because i'm a poor person and lucky to
be on the internet anyhow :)

this is what i use

Firefox with Adblock plus,Bitdefender Trafficlight
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes pro but just use it as a on-demand scanner
Hitman pro as a on-demand scanner
Mcshield
GlassWire to see whats going on with Windows Firewall
and now Zemana AntiMalware Beta as a on-demand scanner

and Common Sense

on-demand scanners do not protect you because thay have no real-time protection so they are used as a second opinion scanner

i would think a good place to ask this about a good AV would be the War Room lol
http://malwaretips.com/forums/war-room.16/

you would get a lot of opinion because there is no Best Av just one's that work the best for you and you using your brain to keep your self safe ;)

it took me awhile to find this out as i would infect my computer all the time and then found forums like this great one and learned to keep safe

there is a lot of very good info and people to ask here on MalwareTips so feel free to ask away and learn like i have

James

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.