Malwarebytes Acquires AdwCleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I smell in the air that MBAM cleaner will no longer be free!
Thats why they are buying all other free cleaners, We'll have no choice but to pay.
MSERT is still free though

What's your basis for stating that? Malwarebytes always had a free version and always will, Marcin himself said so yesterday on BleepingComputer and on Malwarebytes forums.

Another one bytes the dust - General Security

Yes , I agree that the MBAM free version is a fine product , but AFAIK , the paid version simply offers schedule options ,
and very little more .

I feel that the result of Malwarebytes' acquisition will be either a watered-down version of AdwCleaner in the MBAM free version ,
or it may be only available in the paid version .

My concern is that Malwarebytes will tweak it , tinker with it , and morph it to fit with their philosophy ,
and I can't see any of that improving AdwCleaner.
Whether it improves MBAM is a completely separate issue .

Anyway , I'm strictly old-school on these matters - " If it ain't broke , don't fix it " .

... but who knows ? ... time will tell .

Real-time protection is a huge difference if you ask me. Protection and Remediation aren't the same thing at all. Also, once again, like Marcin said, AdwCleaner will still be developped and maintained and Malwarebytes will also provide resources to help with the development on AdwCleaner. Obviously, at one point, AdwCleaner's detections and technology will be rolled out in Malwarebytes products, though it will only help improve the product.

yes, indeed but with 3 processes monopolizing around 300-400mb RAM usage and a nice boot slowdown time if you enable early protection :D

Why antivirus uses so much RAM – And why that is actually a good thing!

Well that is very interesting to see !

Perhaps MB are going to let it remain as a free-standing tool ( and I guess a paid version with extras ? )
I kind of assumed that the scenario would be - " You will be assimilated , resistance is futile ".

BTW , has anyone here looked at the MB forum recently ?
There may be some clues on there as to what the future holds .
I don't look at " single-topic " forums too much even though I'm a member of some ; I just don't have enough time .

@Berny

Well spotted .... thanks for posting !

And a very warm welcome to MalwareTips .

AdwCleaner will remain free to use, it isn't going away and it will still be actively developed and maintained. It's been said since the beginning of the acquisition. Simple as that.

And I'm on the Malwarebytes Forums daily and that information has been provided there as well.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
What's your basis for stating that? Malwarebytes always had a free version and always will, Marcin himself said so yesterday on BleepingComputer and on Malwarebytes forums.

Another one bytes the dust - General Security

Real-time protection is a huge difference if you ask me. Protection and Remediation aren't the same thing at all. Also, once again, like Marcin said, AdwCleaner will still be developped and maintained and Malwarebytes will also provide resources to help with the development on AdwCleaner. Obviously, at one point, AdwCleaner's detections and technology will be rolled out in Malwarebytes products, though it will only help improve the product.

Why antivirus uses so much RAM – And why that is actually a good thing!

AdwCleaner will remain free to use, it isn't going away and it will still be actively developed and maintained. It's been said since the beginning of the acquisition. Simple as that.

And I'm on the Malwarebytes Forums daily and that information has been provided there as well.

Superb post .... my respect to you !

In one post you have cleared up all of the worries and niggles on this issue ( at least for me you have ! )

Please don't get me wrong , I have nothing against MBAM at all , I use it weekly as an on-demand scanner ,
and also for a scan on any downloads , it's just that I never had any need for the extras in the paid version .

It must have taken you some time to put all that together , even if you are a regular on Malwarebytes Forum ,
and I really appreciate that effort .
I swung by their forum after my earlier post , but I didn't have time to dig around .... just a quick skim through.

Many thanks :)

Last edited:

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
No problem, you're welcome. I don't want misinformation around Malwarebytes to be spread as it could cause a few issues for both them and volunteers on their forums :)

Reactions: DardiM
D

Deleted member 178

Come on @Aura don't point me this article that is just an excuse to justify excessive RAM usage, i know the purpose of RAM but there is a difference between using RAM and wasting RAM. One reason i ditched RT AVs is that i need my RAM for better things than loading signature to scan the same files over and over every time they are accessed. I need it for my more hungry softs (browsers, etc...). Whatever AV vendors may say , signature model is a waste of RAM for an obsolete feature that can't even catch up with the latest malwares.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Now, no more downloading adwcleaner, mbam and jrt separately since mbam is incorporating them.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Now, no more downloading adwcleaner, mbam and jrt separately since mbam is incorporating them.

JRT is still not fully rolled in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware yet and the integration of AdwCleaner didn't even start. So right now, you can still download and run these 3 separately for a better clean-up.

@Umbra I know that the signature model is useless against new malware threats, though they are useful to protect a system against known infections. Also, did an Antivirus ever use so much RAM on your system that it was preventing you from doing anything else? If so, how much RAM did you have?

Reactions: Vasudev

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
Come on @Aura don't point me this article that is just an excuse to justify excessive RAM usage, i know the purpose of RAM but there is a difference between using RAM and wasting RAM. One reason i ditched RT AVs is that i need my RAM for better things than loading signature to scan the same files over and over every time they are accessed. I need it for my more hungry softs (browsers, etc...). Whatever AV vendors may say , signature model is a waste of RAM for an obsolete feature that can't even catch up with the latest malwares.
I agree.
Malwarebytes antimalware is a big user of ram and slowed down my PC whilst i did basic chores and at 300mb ram i ditched it a week ago!

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I've been a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium user for years (and I was also using it for years with Kaspersky Internet Security which is according to popular opinion, a big RAM user) and I've never felt any slowdown on my system while using it. I've always had standard systems with 4-8GB of RAM. Right now I have 16GB however, but even when I had 8 (like 2 years ago), I still couldn't feel Malwarebytes Anti-Malware taking it.

D

Deleted member 178

@Aura , of course for you MBAM seems ok, because you were using KIS which is among the most resources hog ever created. Try a system without any real time AVs (for example using just an anti-exe) ; then you will understand ;)

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I understand already, I play with such systems daily and I can tell you that the difference isn't that big in my world. I'm a technician so I'm used to these kind of things. With that argument, no one should ever use any Antivirus, Antimalware, Firewall, etc. because they're all wasting precious RAM. My computer still boots in 10 seconds, and I'm still ready to work as soon as I'm logged in.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
AdwCleaner just got a new UI in v6... I doubt it'll change again that soon.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
There's a similar discussion going on over at Wilders ( here )

In post #339 , the developer says :-
" .... the product will remain free and we're adding resources to the project."

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasudev

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
JRT is still not fully rolled in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware yet and the integration of AdwCleaner didn't even start. So right now, you can still download and run these 3 separately for a better clean-up.

@Umbra I know that the signature model is useless against new malware threats, though they are useful to protect a system against known infections. Also, did an Antivirus ever use so much RAM on your system that it was preventing you from doing anything else? If so, how much RAM did you have?
All my home computers are with 4 gig, average use of 2 in these machines running 300 mb is not a problem.
But try to install AV with 1gig of ram and you'll be left with nothing to use. AV 300 + XP 200 you'll be left with 500 thats assuming only the OS and AV are running.
All depend on your system and your pocket and believe it or not there are a lot of people that are still using XP with 1 gig or even less

Reactions: frogboy

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Your problem lies elsewhere if you're using a computer with 1GB of RAM.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Malwarebytes detects and removes SpyHunter already (they did before the acquisition of AdwCleaner) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.