Status
Not open for further replies.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
It was only a matter of time :)

Malwarebytes™, the leading advanced malware prevention and remediation solution, today announced the acquisition of AdwCleaner, one of the world’s most frequently downloaded tools for removing potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars and other unwanted software.

Consumers and businesses download AdwCleaner more than 200,000 times per day, making it one of the most downloaded products on many sites. Installed around 200 million times, AdwCleaner has proven effective against bloatware, questionable software and specific types of malware.

The AdwCleaner story mirrors that of Malwarebytes in many ways. Founded in 2011 by three 17-year-old French students, AdwCleaner quickly grew in popularity over the years. Jérôme Boursier and Corentin Chepeau, two of the founders who have continued their involvement while attending university in France, released the sixth major version in 2016. Ever since, the two developers have helped it grow quickly across the world. Both Boursier and Chepeau will now join Malwarebytes in engineering and research roles.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
They probably have some plans of course, but I see this as removal of very successful competitor from the market :)
I don't think it will disappear, what I hope they have in store is a MB re-branding with some UI improvements.
MB sees the value this software has, so no matter there they go with it, I see a future for it, MB is smart enough
to keep it around, I'm sure of it.

Last edited:

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I do not know what their plan is but ... considering that they previously bought Junkware Removal Tool I thought it was going to pop it in MBAM, now they bought this and the question is if and to remain a standalone application or if it is implemented in the MBAM, (or some other their program).

Last edited:
L

LabZero

Adwcleaner is not distributed by a big software house active in the computer security but it is made by a French programmer, who has always been highlighted for its individiabile effectiveness.
When quality is a must!
Good move Malwarebytes.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
3 big cheers for Adwcleaner crew.
Mission Accomplished.

For Malwarebytes this is just a tactical move (Like Sophos acquiring Surfright)
Adw has always been a good tool, and it was only a matter of time before someone would grab it. Malwarebytes doing just that will help them i think more then it did help the Adw crew but then again the recognision alone is also something that speaks volumes about Adwcleaner and its track record.

Cheers

Last edited:

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
I don't think it will disappear, what I hope they have in store is a MB re-branding with some UI improvements.
MB sees the value this software has, so no matter there they go with it, I see a future for it, MB is smart enough
to keep it around, I'm sure of it.

I doubt they will make the product disappear. It's why people use this instead of MBAM in first place - it's easier, faster, portable and gets job well done :)

I do not know what their plan is but ... considering that they previously bought Junkware Removal Tool I thought it was going to pop it in MBAM, now they bought this and the question is if and to remain a standalone application or if it is implemented in the MBAM, (or some other their program).

Of course it won't disappear, but it has some things that bother MalwareBytes. It is faster when it comes to removal, it is able to remove unwanted software that MalwareBytes is unable because of legal issues and it is a threat to business model (it is present for years and has large database). This was a logic move, you remove competitor and bring great software to your portfolio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.