AdwCleaner is now part of the Malwarebytes family

and on the download page
screenshot.png

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I'm going to throw in a contrary opinion here .

I have been using tools such as AdwCleaner , ComboFix , JRT , RKill , and Farbar for longer than I can remember.

They have saved me so much time over the years.
And I liked the fact that these tools were either developed on Bleeping Computer , or were at least made popular
from there .
I like the fact that they are independents , making great tools pretty much as a labor of love ( perhaps ) .
Sure , I understand , everyone has to put food on the table.

But Malwarebytes ( and I have great respect for them ) is a business , and they are going to want a return on the investment ,
and I can't help thinking that all of us individual users may be worse off .

Call me old -fashioned if you will :)

Balrog

Level 6
Verified
May 5, 2015

I have been using tools such as AdwCleaner , ComboFix , JRT , RKill , and Farbar for longer than I can remember.

And I liked the fact that these tools were either developed on Bleeping Computer , or were at least made popular
from there .
I like the fact that they are independents , making great tools pretty much as a labor of love ( perhaps ) .

But Malwarebytes ( and I have great respect for them ) is a business , and they are going to want a return on the investment ,

You're right. Damn it Malwarebytes!

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014

Malwarebytes still offers a free program that allows you to scan your system for malware and remove them. Detections aren't enhanced by the Premium version (so you don't get more detections if you buy it). AdwCleaner doesn't offer real-time protection, but remediation (removal) and the definitions and detection technology will end up being rolled in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware one day. As long as MBAM have a free version that allows the detection and removal of malware (and it'll end up enhanced by AdwCleaner's detection and technology), how is that not helping the individual user?

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013

from there .

That so called return they already have think about the technology knowledge from the adw team and what about the amount of research already done by adw crew and the legal aspect as adw uses technology liecenced to them as stated on the site and then you got the potential of the userbase so the amount of raw dollars just by buying them has already yielded at least a equal amount aldo being able to integrate that into the mbam products..... wel do the math.
Regards nico

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
after they bought JRT, they acquired AdwCleaner. Wow, Malwarebytes team establish themself as foremost PUP solution. If we count MBAR, I think they want to be main antimalware suite.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Yes , I agree that the MBAM free version is a fine product , but AFAIK , the paid version simply offers schedule options ,
and very little more .

I feel that the result of Malwarebytes' acquisition will be either a watered-down version of AdwCleaner in the MBAM free version ,
or it may be only available in the paid version .

My concern is that Malwarebytes will tweak it , tinker with it , and morph it to fit with their philosophy ,
and I can't see any of that improving AdwCleaner.
Whether it improves MBAM is a completely separate issue .

Anyway , I'm strictly old-school on these matters - " If it ain't broke , don't fix it " .

... but who knows ? ... time will tell .

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015

from there .

It may be that for MalwareBytes the only return they will expect is that in associating the tool with MB
is it gets their name out there for a new generation. I have owned MBAM for a good number of years
and never found them to be gimmicky or greedy. I think just putting the MB name on the tool is all MB wanted,
but time will tell if I am correct. Thanks Myriad ;)
It was good for the tool and good for Malwarebytes, everyone wins
in this deal.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well likely more on detection basis to bind on MBAM rather incorporating Adwcleaner on the product itself.

Remember that AdwCleaner is also perform aggressive detections and tweaking to such friendly matter may defeat the purpose.

AdwCleaner's have the right to insist if their product may turn something trouble after the acquisation.

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
Yes , I agree that the MBAM free version is a fine product , but AFAIK , the paid version simply offers schedule options ,
and very little more .

I feel that the result of Malwarebytes' acquisition will be either a watered-down version of AdwCleaner in the MBAM free version ,
or it may be only available in the paid version .

My concern is that Malwarebytes will tweak it , tinker with it , and morph it to fit with their philosophy ,
and I can't see any of that improving AdwCleaner.
Whether it improves MBAM is a completely separate issue .

Anyway , I'm strictly old-school on these matters - " If it ain't broke , don't fix it " .

... but who knows ? ... time will tell .
MBAM pro offer real time protection, this huge difference with free version.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
The name is there...
...before...
View attachment 118854

...after...
View attachment 118853

Well that is very interesting to see !

Perhaps MB are going to let it remain as a free-standing tool ( and I guess a paid version with extras ? )
I kind of assumed that the scenario would be - " You will be assimilated , resistance is futile ".

BTW , has anyone here looked at the MB forum recently ?
There may be some clues on there as to what the future holds .
I don't look at " single-topic " forums too much even though I'm a member of some ; I just don't have enough time .

@Berny

Well spotted .... thanks for posting !

And a very warm welcome to MalwareTips .

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.