Malwarebytes just declared my license "Not Legitimate", i feel disgusted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
i installed windows 10 a week ago and i installed the latest windows 10 compatible version of MBAM and tried using my license which i was using before on my win 8.1 and it gave me a message saying my license is not valid.
after a few email's with their support they said i need a proof that i have bought the license. because of something wrong in their end they had to change their licensing system.
so now i have not kept the receipt that i got when i bought my license since it was more than a year ago but it was a lifetime license.
how can it be that because of something wrong they did (or their system's) i have to lose my license? i feel they have stolen from me and im disgusted, i would never go near their software's again!
im not trying to change anyone's opinion about malwarebyte's but personally im disappointed and i thought i'd share my experience with them.

suddenly what IObit did way back doesnt seem so wrong anymore "what goes around, comes around"!

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
lol what the hell mbam is doing it's their mistake if something went wrong with them why the hell they're stealing your rights for using something you purchased!

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
i have been in contact with them about this over couple of emails and this is the quote from their last email:
"We have recently implemented updates to help curb and control the amount of invalid licenses. If you bought it, please send me any proof of purchase you can. Send me a picture or a screenshot of any invoice or receipt you may have. If you you received the license in a physical product, a picture of that would help as well. If you can send me these, I will try to assist you further."

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
That certainly isn't their fault, but only yours. When you pay for example mobile phone bill or electricity bill, do you just throw it away or keep it at least a year. Important things that are paid must be kept safe. If you mistakenly deleted invoice that you received when you bought the product then you had to keep at least your ID and license at some safe place. When I bought MalwareBytes license I had to enter my personal details such as name, address, phone number, etc. If you really did this, then they must have you in the system.

This is a great thing they did, and I am happy about it. It costs only 25$ that is a shame for such a good product. People buy dozen of PC games throughout a year, and if you cannot afford this small sum, then you use a brain and don't get infected. Period.

Last edited:

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
MalwareBytes EULA

2. Ownership. Each copy of the Software is licensed, not sold. For purposes of this Agreement, the terms “purchase,” “sell” and like terms refers to purchase or sale of a license to use the Software and not to a purchase or sale of title to or ownership of any rights or other interests in the Software. You own the media on which the Software is recorded, but you acknowledge and agree that Malwarebytes retains ownership of the Software itself and any related data or databases used by Malwarebytes or the Software (the “Database”), including all intellectual property rights therein. The Software and Database are protected by U.S. copyright law and international treaties. You will not delete or in any manner alter the copyright, trademark, and other proprietary rights notices or markings appearing on the Software as delivered to you. Malwarebytes reserves all rights in the Software and Database not expressly granted to you in this Agreement.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
MBAM provided the so called Amnesty program for those license key which are known to be valid and considered to be blacklist however for stronger verification they need always a proof. Cause there's no any algorithm that can compare easily the difference of between counterfeit and genuine keys unless reported.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
https://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/amnesty/

What is the Malwarebytes Amnesty program?
The Internet is full of pioneers and cowboys. It’s also got its fair share of pirates and trolls. Some of those bad guys may have duped you into purchasing a counterfeit version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Or perhaps we’ve simply detected a problem with your key. Not to worry. We’re here to help.
Malwarebytes is offering a free replacement key for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium customers who have been inconvenienced by piracy or abuse. This new key will be exclusive to you going forward.

What do I need to do?
Select the option below (in your Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium product) that describes how you originally received your Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro or Premium license. We’ll assign you a new key, and you’ll be good to go.

I’m not sure where I got my key, or I downloaded it from the Internet
Select this option and we will issue you a brand-new key with 12 free months of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium.

I purchased my key
Select this option and we will issue you a replacement key with the same license to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as your original key.

Please make note of the new key you are assigned. You can view it in My Account on Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Your old key will cease to work after a period of time.

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
That certainly isn't their fault, but only yours. When you pay for example mobile phone bill or electricity bill, do you just throw it away or keep it at least a year. Important things that are paid must be kept safe. If you mistakenly deleted invoice that you received when you bought the product then you had to keep at least your ID and license at some safe place. When I bought MalwareBytes license I had to enter my personal details such as name, address, phone number, etc. If you really did this, then they must have you in the system.

This is a great thing they did, and I am happy about it. It costs only 25$ that is a shame for such a good product. People buy dozen of PC games throughout a year, and if you cannot afford this small sum, then you use a brain and don't get infected. Period.

i think you didnt understand it correctly, i DO have my ID and License key!

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I agree if you purchased it you should still have a copy of the email that they supposedly sent you a year ago. I make it a point to keep all of invoices of my software subscriptions until they end, especially if they are lifetime licences because that's so much more valuable and what makes it worse is that Malwarebytes doesn't even offer lifetime anymore.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Salutations,Friends!

Just tried yesterday evening and the same happen to me as with woomera.

Waiting Malwarebtyes Support answer! NOT happy at all with them.

Reactions: AtlBo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.