MBAM 3
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome - uBlock Origin , LastPass
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, AdwCleaner, System Explorer
File and Photo backup
Not much to backup here, some documents and pictures etc., i manually copy it all to my external HDD which i only use for backup purposes.
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
"As Qihoo is having issues on Win8.1 Update 1 i am currently playing around with Baidu, if anyone has any suggestions for a free AV that i could try out please share.

Thanks!
"
Michael_Blunt, Today at 11:16 AM

Hi Michael. Thank you for sharing your Feels like Christmas in The Springtime configuration.:):p Since you're open & playing around with 'free' Anti-virus programs, and already using Windows Firewall & UAC, (Imho..) why not use Windows 8.1's built-In AV?o_O;)
Within the bosom of your:eek: Man-O-War security protections it might operate with greater compatibly plus far more efficiently than AV test scores would allude to.:rolleyes::)

Reactions: SHvFl and Venustus

Michael_Blunt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2014
I really don't want to use that when there are programs out there with better detection, more configurability and lighter on the system. Not to mention how much that slowdown when opening a folder with multiple installer files in it annoys the crap out of me. In short WD does not meet my demands. :D

Michael_Blunt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2014
Hi guys, been a long time since i've been here. For the past 2 years i have been using strictly Linux and had no Windows installed but because i am a gamer and wanted to play certain games that only work on Windows i decided to reinstall Windows. I was smart enough(or dumb enough) to take up Microsoft's free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were offering it so i am using that now. With that being said, i have been out of the loop for quite a while now and i need some advice for my new security config. I have updated my security config to reflect what i am currently using but i am open to suggestions.

I should also mention i continue to dual-boot and i do most of my online activities on Linux, i mainly use Windows for gaming. So ideally i don't want to bog down this setup with too much security software for obvious reasons. Now here is my dilemma, i still have the following licenses from when i was still using Win only:

-Winpatrol+(lifetime)
-MBAM(lifetime)
-Sandboxie(lifetime)
-Zemana Anti-Logger(still have 4 valid 1-year license keys for this)
-NVT ERP
-WFC(Binisoft.org)

Should i add any of the above programs ? Or something else(preferably free) ?
So far i only tried the new MBAM 3 but damn that thing slows down my PC to a crawl, such a shame.

I been looking into VoodooShield, seems like a fine app, i am just not sure how good the free version is.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Hi guys, been a long time since i've been here. For the past 2 years i have been using strictly Linux and had no Windows installed but because i am a gamer and wanted to play certain games that only work on Windows i decided to reinstall Windows. I was smart enough(or dumb enough) to take up Microsoft's free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were offering it so i am using that now. With that being said, i have been out of the loop for quite a while now and i need some advice for my new security config. I have updated my security config to reflect what i am currently using but i am open to suggestions.

I should also mention i continue to dual-boot and i do most of my online activities on Linux, i mainly use Windows for gaming. So ideally i don't want to bog down this setup with too much security software for obvious reasons. Now here is my dilemma, i still have the following licenses from when i was still using Win only:

-Winpatrol+(lifetime)
-MBAM(lifetime)
-Sandboxie(lifetime)
-Zemana Anti-Logger(still have 4 valid 1-year license keys for this)
-NVT ERP
-WFC(Binisoft.org)

Should i add any of the above programs ? Or something else(preferably free) ?
So far i only tried the new MBAM 3 but damn that thing slows down my PC to a crawl, such a shame.

I been looking into VoodooShield, seems like a fine app, i am just not sure how good the free version is.
If your interested in trying VoodooShield pro check your PM

Michael_Blunt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2014
Hi Exterminator! I replied to your pm and thanks again!

Alright so i have added VoodooShield to my system and i am keeping it on Autopilot mode for now. Would adding MBAE and/or MBAR make sense or is VS enough ? I am inclined not to install them as i wanna keep all this very light but if they would significantly improve my security i would consider it i suppose. I really haven't looked hard into all these apps but from my understanding using VS along with some common sense should be enough right ?

I also switched my DNS to Norton DNS, should probably mention that.

Michael_Blunt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2014
Installed Avast Free to replace Windows Defender. I like that Avast is so light on the system and can be customized to your hearts desires. Removed all the bloatware from it, did a custom install and only selected the File, Web and Mail shield components. Don't need anything else.

F

ForgottenSeer 55778

I love Norton DNS a lot! Avast is much lighter than Windows Defender, especially when doing custom install and excluding the bloat!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.