Microsoft Support says Security Patches will not make your PC more secure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutting_edgetech

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 14, 2013
It's funny because now I'm seeing reports on Sysnative and BleepingComputer of Windows Vista users that cannot install updates because it is stuck on "Searching for updates". No reports for Windows 7 users though.
Windows Vista has a very long record of update bugs. My parents had Vista until 2 years ago, and I always hated working on their computer. It ran into update problems about every 3-4 months.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I don't understand people that are still using Windows Vista in 2016. I would rather install a Linux distro on the laptop/computer rather than dealing with that OS. I'll keep an eye out for your update issue on other forums, though they've all been solved so far by installing the KBs I listed previously.

Edit: These are what would call conspiracy theories, and without solid proofs, they are nothing but theories sadly.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

cutting_edgetech

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 14, 2013
I don't understand people that are still using Windows Vista in 2016. I would rather install a Linux distro on the laptop/computer rather than dealing with that OS. I'll keep an eye out for your update issue on other forums, though they've all been solved so far by installing the KBs I listed previously.

Edit: These are what would call conspiracy theories, and without solid proofs, they are nothing but theories sadly.
Some users are reporting similar problems on the Windows Club Forum. Some Mods say they are having the same problem.

The overwhelming majority of users that experience these type of problems do not report them. They don't notice that Windows is failing to update, don't understand it's bad, or just don't care. Most users don't care about security until it causes them to loose their files, have their private information compromised, an example of this would be Identity theft, or it just causes them a huge inconvenience not being able to use their PC.

I just noticed the time, I have to leave for an appointment. If I have time I will check on the thread again later.

jelson

Level 2
Jun 14, 2011
It's funny because now I'm seeing reports on Sysnative and BleepingComputer of Windows Vista users that cannot install updates because it is stuck on "Searching for updates". No reports for Windows 7 users though.

The problem with Windows Update (WU) on Win7 machines taking hours... and sometimes days... to finish "Searching for updates" started back in April. As you can read in this InfoWorld article, the fix was to install the March WU Client patch {KB3138612} and the April security update for the Windows Graphics Component {KB 3145739} And that solved the problem for myself and many others.

But next month, May, WU scans once again took forever to complete. What worked then was to install the May security update for Windows kernel-mode drivers {KB3153199} first and by itself. Afterwards, WU scans were reported to complete in a matter of minutes.

But there was a bit of a Catch-22 here: if a WU scans is taking forever, how do you install KB3153199 first and by itself? Choice was to simply wait OR to download it from Windows Update Catalog and install it manually.

BUT, when you tried to install it manually you were still greeted with the "Searching for updates" message. The fix for that was to disconnect your machine from the internet (unplug the ethernet cable or disable WIFI) and then "Stop" the Windows Update service. Then the manual install proceeds rapidly. (Source)

In June, installing another security update for Windows kernel-mode driver {KB3161664} manually restored WU scan speeds on Win7 machines. (Source1) (additional Source behind paywall)

In July, once again it was another Windows kernel-mode drivers patch {KB3168965} that needed to installed manually to restore Win7 WU scan times. That was also when Dalai published his research on restoring WU scan speeds on Win7 machines: http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-07.htm

Subsequently, this resulted in a flurry of postings on this subject on the AskWoody blog. as well as the Aug update of Dalia's solution: http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-08.htm

And while the free update to Win10 was still valid, I used the procedure I detailed in my earlier post to bring a Win7 VM and a little-used Win7 laptop to a fully patched state and then upgraded them. Those instructions are based on this comment by ch100 on the "Best way to get Windows 7 updated" on the AskWoody blog

Last edited:

cutting_edgetech

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 14, 2013
The problem with Windows Update (WU) on Windows 7 machines taking hours... and sometimes days... to finish "Searching for updates" started back in April. As you can read in this InfoWorld article, the fix was to install the March WU Client patch {KB3138612} and the April security update for the Windows Graphics Component {KB 3145739} And that solved the problem for myself and many others.

But next month, May, WU scans once again took forever to complete. What worked then was to install the May security update for Windows kernel-mode drivers {KB3153199} first and by itself. Afterwards, WU scans were reported to complete in a matter of minutes.

But there was a bit of a Catch-22 here: if a WU scans is taking forever, how do you install KB3153199 first and by itself? Choice was to simply wait OR to download it from Windows Update Catalog and install it manually.

BUT, when you tried to install it manually you were still greeted with the "Searching for updates" message. The fix for that was to disconnect your machine from the internet (unplug the ethernet cable or disable WIFI) and then "Stop" the Windows Update service. Then the manual install proceeds rapidly. (Source)

In June, installing another security update for Windows kernel-mode driver {KB3161664} manually restored WU scan speeds on Windows 7 machines. (Source1) (additional Source behind paywall)

In July, once again it was another Windows kernel-mode drivers patch {KB3168965} that needed to installed manually to restore Windows 7 WU scan times. That was also when Dalai published his research on restoring WU scan speeds on Windows 7 machines: http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-07.htm

Subsequently, this resulted in a flurry of postings on this subject on the AskWoody blog. as well as the Aug update of Dalia's solution: http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-08.htm

And while the free update to Windows 10 was still valid, I used the procedure I detailed in my earlier post to bring a Windows 7 VM and a little-used Windows 7 laptop to a fully patched state and then upgraded them. Those instructions are based on this comment by ch100 on the "Best way to get Windows 7 updated" on the AskWoody blog
You have put together some really good instructions in this one post. I still have a few Machines with Windows 7 on them that I have not been able to update, or upgrade. One is a Sony Vaio Laptop which I really may need in the future. When I have time I will look back at this post, and some of the others for reference.

I never had a problem updating Windows 7 until Window 10 was released. It seems to me that Microsoft may be lacking in Business ethics. I find it hard to believe that all these bugs that have been continuously released since Window 10 arrived are accidental. The Microsoft techs I chatted with informed me that the bugs preventing me from connecting to Microsoft update server were server side, and that they have been aware of these bugs for quite some time. I'm paraphrasing of course.

Many Schools, Hospitals, and Businesses still use Window 7. Can you imagine having to manually install all these updates on Hundreds, and even thousands of machines! If they are having these problems they will have no option other than to upgrade.

jelson

Level 2
Jun 14, 2011
I never had a problem updating Windows 7 until Window 10 was released. It seems to me that Microsoft may be lacking in Business ethics. I find it hard to believe that all these bugs that have been continuously released since Window 10 arrived are accidental. The Microsoft techs I chatted with informed me that the bugs preventing me from connecting to Microsoft update server were server side, and that they have been aware of these bugs for quite some time. I'm paraphrasing of course.

Many Schools, Hospitals, and Businesses still use Window 7. Can you imagine having to manually install all these updates on Hundreds, and even thousands of machines! If they are having these problems they will have no option other than to upgrade.

I'm not at all suprised... I have long suspected a big part of the slow Win7 Update problems had to do with changes they made to their updates servers after the "Get Windows 10" campaign got under way.

As for business ethics... M$ has always been first and foremost a marketing company... secondly, a smart purchaser of good technology companies... and service has always been a distant third at best -- if you're one of their enterprise customers... consumers are not really considered (except as beta-testers)

And I believe that, at least in part, this whole new procedure of cumulative/roll-up updates is also designed to motivate their customers to move to Windows 10. (I'd be deeply shocked if M$ devotes any energy or personnel to fixing the Win7 Update debacle.)

Good luck cutting_edgetech... (P.S. I enjoy your posts on Wilders)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Let's debunk the conspiracy theory, actually it is the machine problem of user where hardware or software cause on updates to be problematic. Likely few which will route on buggy patches.

Second in terms of security updates, many reliable sources prove that it lessens the future risk but not majority. That's why its called patches meaning it will apply on specific parts only.

jelson

Level 2
Jun 14, 2011
@cutting_edgetech, you aren't the only one to experience this problem: Windows 7 clean install refuses all updates -AskWoody
You might find a comment by CanadianTech interesting:

Also you will see all kinds of stories of people calling MS for support to fix this for all kinds of money. In every case I know of, unless there were other underlying issues, the Solution has worked just fine and it takes mere moments.

This is a quote from that same “solution” web page:

i had two different Microsoft technicians come on to my computer and neither of them fixed the problem. one even recommend a second level technician come on if it didn’t work. tried this and it fixed the problem in 5 min.
FYI: the CanadianTech "Solution" referred is to manually install the April 2015 servicing stack update {KB3020369} and then the WUC update inside the July 2016 roll-up {3172605}

It's becoming increasingly clear that the primary culprit in these cases is the Windows Update Agent, v. 7.6.7600.320 (wuaueng.dll) (Ref):
It is worth mentioning that it was OK for a while after release and nobody seems to know the exact reason why it broke. It may not be the patch itself but external dependencies related to reorganisation of the Microsoft back-end servers.

Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
@Aura I still have my 10 year old Windows Vista computer on the OS to this day. Havwent formatted it because it has Ben running Avast for 3,000+ days maybe I'll get a discount. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.