Microsoft's Windows XP is still kickin' -- do you use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Littlebits said:
jamescv7 said:
Also administration tends to put Limited User Account and do its important priority.

Its from the responsible of employees to avoid any those problems that may disrupt the operation.

In my local area most government, schools, colleges, banks and others use limited user accounts. They only have a few Admins that update and install needed software for the workforce.

Because even without AV protection the chance of malware installing on employee systems is like non-existent since malware can not execute on limited user accounts. Of coarse the Admins can make mistakes and infect all of the workforce systems, but this doesn't happen very often.

The main problem that these older system will face is vulnerabilities in Windows XP that will no longer receive patches. Some exploits may be able to penetrate limited user accounts.

Thanks.:D

Only chances is from realtime protection provided from Administration since LUA cannot update itself and needs an approval it.

When dealing for multinational companies then that's a different way already.

Kanata

Jun 6, 2013
I've my XP x64 Bits for play windows modfying.
Also I've Win7, Win8, Ubuntu in each partation in my same HDD for 125gb each.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Littlebits said:
In my local area most government, schools, colleges, banks and others use limited user accounts. They only have a few Admins that update and install needed software for the workforce.

That's how it should be. All schools, should have all users as limited accounts. Saves them in the long run.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Littlebits said:
jamescv7 said:
Also administration tends to put Limited User Account and do its important priority.

Its from the responsible of employees to avoid any those problems that may disrupt the operation.

Because even without AV protection the chance of malware installing on employee systems is like non-existent since malware can not execute on limited user accounts. Of coarse the Admins can make mistakes and infect all of the workforce systems, but this doesn't happen very often.

The main problem that these older system will face is vulnerabilities in Windows XP that will no longer receive patches. Some exploits may be able to penetrate limited user accounts.

No its not non existent, even limited user accounts can be infected often, at least from my experience. My father had his USB pendrive infected several times in his work from malware running limited Windows XP accounts. And my sisters once got malware on their PC which had a limited Windows 7 account and it did its job successfully, after that day I will never ever install Windows on their PC. :D

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'Microsoft's Windows XP is still kickin' -- do you use it?'

- Of course, but the sun shines more lately, so I prefer to make my tan ..:D

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
I'm not using it on my main machine but on most of my junk/old computers i dual boot with xp and linux

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
Littlebits said:
jamescv7 said:

No its not non existent, even limited user accounts can be infected often, at least from my experience. My father had his USB pendrive infected several times in his work from malware running limited Windows XP accounts. And my sisters once got malware on their PC which had a limited Windows 7 account and it did its job successfully, after that day I will never ever install Windows on their PC. :D

The only type of malware that can be successful in a limited user account is password and data stealers like keyloggers and they will not infect your system, they run as a stand-alone and the system state doesn't change. If the system Admin already has a firewall setup then keyloggers will not be able to send back the stolen info. Any malicious destructive malware might be able to run but they will not be successful infecting the system because Admin rights are required to make system changes. I know because I have tried to run malware before that makes system changes, you will get a Windows notice saying to don't have privileges, contact your system Admin.

Of coarse you can also fail victim to online phishing scams which are used more often then keyloggers.

Over-all limited users accounts will protect the system from destructive malware or any type of malware that tries to change your system state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.