Mini Spy

Latest Threads

Online Storage VS External Hard Disk (advantages and disadvantages)

Discussion in 'How-To Articles, Tips and Guides' started by win7holic, Nov 10, 2011.

1. win7holic

win7holic

Online storage for Advantage:

1. More simple, practical without the need to bring tools such as external hard disks, flash drives, or anything like that.
    2. Can share with family, friends, anyone who is also using the internet.
    3. Secure from data theft in the real world - Because thieves may not get us in the online data storage with fast (it took some time)
    4. Suitable for small documents - Task school, stories, anything with small files.
    5. Price - depending on your connection plan (internet speed)

Online storage for Disadvantages:

1. Online storage company closed - we can not access the data we store there, if we can confirm from them, they will close their company, that no problem. if not, the file we will be lost.
    2. Must use Internet connection - if we're not there is an internet connection, we can not access our data
    3. Not safe, because the hacker - hackers will break our passwords and IDs in online storage.
    4. We can not backup a huge data in there - not everyone has high upload speed.
    5. We can not store large files, limited. we need to pay for adding storage capacity.

External Hard disk for Advantage:

1. We can access the data, whenever and wherever we are.
    2. Fast data transfer, we can do anything with it (in particular: data backup and system image)
    3. Currently affordable prices External Hard disk (this for example)
    4. External good to store the data you want to share with the people, Sharing with ease. - Just like a USB flash drive, external hard disk but larger capacity.
    5. We can store a large file - depending on how much capacity hard disk you buy.

External Hard disk for Disadvantages:

1. They also can cause problems when trying to transport them and connect them to other people's computers (spread of viruses), even though in general it is possible to do so.
    2. Hard disk is damaged because of falling - perhaps due to our carelessness, it allows the hard disk ability decreased (even though not drastically)
    3. Easily stolen - stolen from the real world, if we do not guard it (in fact: we are sometimes careless)

2. Dieselman

Dieselman

You are missing a huge subject. Storage space. 90% of online storage has only 5GB. You must pay month for more storage. An external HDD cost you $80 or less for 1TB of lifetime storage. Would you rather pay $20/month for only 100GB of online storage from Dropbox or would you rather buy a 1TB external hard drive with no monthly fee. External HDD are not meant to swapped and carried around so the subject of plugging it into another pc and getting a virus is false. I have never ever heard of malware jumping into an external HDD. If your external HDD is stolen is another false complaint. Thats like saying "What if your laptop is stolen?". Just about every disk imaging program allows you to encrypt your data. An external HDD just sits on a desk waiting for backup.

Best advice + Use both.

3. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

There is some online storage that has more then 5GB like Skydrive.

4. win7holic

win7holic

Updated it ,maximus.

5. Dieselman

Dieselman

Exactly. But it still is not 500GB or 1TB is it? SkyDrive is only 25GB and I have way more then that to backup.

6. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Very true. I didn't think of that. Better to have a external hard drive.

7. win7holic

win7holic

However, the spread a virus from the internal hard disk (PC) go to an external hard disk. everything may happen, maximus. BUT, there are ways to avoid it (NOT all people can do it)
    read this http://www.ehow.com/facts_6008660_can-virus-transferred-external-drives_.html

everything may happen, maximus :)

8. MrXidus

MrXidus Super Moderator MalwareTips Staff

I have 10GB on Dropbox for earning referrals that I don't even use, Not with my slow upload speed.
    Instead I have 2 external hard drives that I use. Never looked back.

9. win7holic

win7holic

Yes. External hard disks are much better. if we look at the advantages and disadvantages both to online storage and external hard disk.

10. jamescv7

jamescv7 Community Superstar Trusted Member

External Hard Disk is a must since most have large capacity and you can stored more files you want and in case of problem then it may rescue all the time.

Well since I use Dropbox because just use for stored important files only since 2GB is enough for me still if I have a money then EHD would be a better choice.

11. Dieselman

Dieselman

There is no debate when you look into longevity. Lets look over the course of 5 years.
    Purchase price of an external 500GB HDD = $50
    5 years later = $0
    Dropbox for ONLY 100GB = $19/month
    5 years later = $1200

You do the math.

Online/Cloud storage was designed to share documents,picture, exe. amongst family,friends,co-workers or other devices. Cloud storage/online main purpose is not to keep a safe heaven for everything.An external HDD was.

12. win7holic

win7holic

you repeat the statement in my thread.
    first post.
    :p

13. Dieselman

Dieselman

And show me where you talked about price over time or elaborated on the actual design intent? Saying its suitable is not explaining to other forum members of what the main purpose of online/cloud storage is.

14. win7holic

win7holic

4. Suitable for small documents - Task school, stories, anything with small files...?
    that's it?

15. Dieselman

Dieselman

What is a task school? I have no idea what a task school is so how can I understand it? I do know what a school task is though. Also where did you talk about price over time? Where did you discuss what the main purpose of it is? Saying its good for small files,etc means both. If you want to make a point about something stop speaking in generalizations and elaborate your topics.

16. win7holic

win7holic

school is same task like homework.
    I told about this time, NOT the future. and, one can think about it too.
    a few years ago, an external hard disk is very expensive from now, then the price is getting cheaper.
    so, what about the next few years? will be more and more expensive than now.
    the theory of the business.

17. Umbra Polaris

Umbra Polaris Security Configuration Expert MalwareTips Staff

my ExHDD fall down 6 month ago 1TB of Datas lost...

18. Dieselman

Dieselman

Have had a Seagate Free Agent for 4 years now and no trouble. Computers fail. Hard drivers fail. People die. Its part of life.

19. Dieselman

Dieselman

How did it fall down? Like down a flight of stairs?

20. Umbra Polaris

Umbra Polaris Security Configuration Expert MalwareTips Staff

it was a seagate free agent... 1st time it fell, flatly from 30cm high..., dead, i must wait to be back in France for sending it to repair.