Not open for further replies.

mal1

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
Take your pick and explain why from functionality and resources points of view:

AdBlock, AdBlock plus, uBlock, uBlock origin (or two of them?)

Disconnect, Do not track me (Blur), Ghostery

HTTPS everywhere (better alternatives?)

WOT, bitdefender traffic light, Norton safe web etc, (Would Avast online security add protection if I had Avast installed on my Windows?)

TunnelBear, ZenMate (others?)

The great suspender, OneTab (others?)

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

musings4

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 17, 2014
  • Ublock Origin
  • Disconnect filters are included in Ublock Origin
  • Don't use
  • Avira Browser Safety
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN but for an extension VPN I'll pick Browsec or DotVPN due to fast servers compared to Zenmate
  • The Great Suspender and Tab Outliner - The former can halt unused tabs at a timely interval and free up ram. The ladder extension can perform a plethora of tasks [saving a session or a # of tabs, add notes to a tab for referencing etc.]
  • FlashControl
  • Tampermonkey

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
AdBlock, AdBlock plus, uBlock, uBlock origin (or two of them?)
Disconnect, Do not track me (Blur), Ghostery
HTTPS everywhere (better alternatives?)
WOT, bitdefender traffic light, Norton safe web etc, (Would Avast online security add protection if I had Avast installed on my Windows?)
TunnelBear, ZenMate (others?)
The great suspender, OneTab (others?)

AdBlock - Clean and simple to use, no default whitelist by developer (last time I used it). You only need one adblocker!
Ghostery - Preferred choice. It works as intended, and GhostRank is Opt-In.
None - HTTPS Everywhere doesn't work well with every website, causes some sites to break.
None - Website Advisors are over-rated. Your modern browser should have it's own filters for Malware and Phishing protection. Google Safe Browsing is very good at protecting it's users. IE and Edge users can enable SmartScreen.
None - Not needed, unless you're constantly accessing content blocked in your region.
None - User preference.

May I ask the purpose of this thread? What do you use?

Reactions: mal1 and Kent

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I will go for Adguard Extension, since its a very effective adblocker and meets the expectation to steer those advertisement.

Ghostery for fine tune tracking protection and already veteran under on such category.

Still an optional, just go to the website which is trustworthy with or without HTTPS observe.

Well as your antivirus provides web protection then better yet stick to it.

Reactions: mal1 and frogboy

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
no default whitelist by developer (last time I used it)

Adblock keeps poping up today to tell me that the company has already been sold, and it will show some useful advertisement after that.:(

However, I still cannot get rid of it, because I have made nearly 200 customized rules.
Since I am a little lazy (only a little:p), I do not want to implement these rules one more time in another ad-blocker with different grammar.:D

Reactions: mal1

mal1

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
May I ask the purpose of this thread? What do you use?

I used an article on lifehacker as a guideline to build my set of extensions. It still need some improvements.

I use AdBlock + AdBlock plus : when I shared my configuration, exterminator suggested removing both AdBlock and AdBlock plus and using uBlock instead, I hadn't heard about uBlock, and when I looked it up, there were many positive reviews. But I'm afraid it's not as well-established as the two older ad-blockers. This is probably the most important part of my post. I'm confused here??:confused:

I use Ghostery: but a lot of people don't like it anymore after it was accused of selling information to other parties. I'm not very interested in this category.

I use HTTPS everywhere: are you sure it's not recommended? Most websites say it's a must. And if it doesn't work well with some websites, can you think of better alternatives. Privacy means much to me too.

I use Wot + Avast online: I know the principle of WOT is silly but sometimes it's helpful, for example there is a MalwareTips duplicate it's .org instead of .com. The legit MalwareTips is green, the duplicate is given red. So it's not totally a waste. I use the avast extension too (my default Windows AV is Avast free), so I'm confused here too; does Avast free + Avast extension provide more protection than Avast alone (browsing protection)? And if I were to use an AV extension, should I stick to the extension provided by my default AV or should I try Avira's extension for example?
Google Safe Browsing is very good at protecting it's users
How would Google safe browsing protect users?

I don't use a VPN extension on a regular basis, only when a website is banned, then i delete it

I use OneTab and the great suspender

The purpose of my thread is: 1- ad-blocking (security)
2- privacy and anonymity
3- better RAM-plans for people with heavy browsing habits

Many people suggested FlashControl, I think it's worth a try

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@mal1 : Yes it contains web protection alongside as optional to install the plugin of Avast.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Adblock keeps poping up today to tell me that the company has already been sold, and it will show some useful advertisement after that.:(

I haven't used AdBlock in the last few months, but is has been sold to an unknown buyer and now allows Acceptable Ads.

upload_2015-10-4_16-13-39.png

However, I found on a PC with AdBlock previously installed, Acceptable Ads had retained it's previous settings and were disabled. Acceptable Ads could affect new installations.

I use the avast extension too (my default Windows AV is Avast free), so I'm confused here too; does Avast free + Avast extension provide more protection than Avast alone (browsing protection)? And if I were to use an AV extension, should I stick to the extension provided by my default AV or should I try Avira's extension for example?
How would Google safe browsing protect users?

The purpose of my thread is: 2- privacy and anonymity

Avast Online Security does not necessarily increase protection against Viruses and other Malware, this is the job of your Antivirus. If a file or malicious script is detected, your Antivirus will block the connection. Avast Online Security may only flag the site as dangerous, and correct misspelled websites, but it doesn't increase your Antivirus capabilities. Avast Online Security is free for all users, even without Avast Antivirus installed.

I don't recommend Avira Browser Safety, instead why not try Dr.Web Link Checker.
Dr.Web LinkChecker - Blocks Ads, Plugins and Tracking

Google Safe Browsing is a service that is already in Chrome and offered in other browsers, such as Firefox and Safari.

Check you have enabled Malware and Phishing Protection - Phishing & malware alerts - Chrome Help
How Safe Browsing protects users - Safe Browsing – Transparency Report – Google
And how Safe Browsing has evolved - Official Google Blog: Protecting people across the web with Google Safe Browsing

For better privacy, Mozilla Firefox would be an advisable choice. It has a wider choice of privacy and anonymity add-ons and configurations.
Choose the independent browser
8pecxstudios
The Pale Moon Project homepage
Waterfox - The fastest 64-Bit browser on the web

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Out of curiousity.If i use WOT can the google safe browsing be turned off.?

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Adblocker: I use the Adguard extension for more than a two years now and I'm much more satisfied with it than with Adblock Plus. It is very light, and blocks things well. Ublock is also not bad, but since I use Adguard for that long, I will keep it. More than one adblocker is not needed imho.

Disconnect, do not track...: I don't use them. In the Adguard extension settings there are also options to disable lots of things.

Https-everywhere: I personally don't use it, but I have to admit that it can be a usefull extension to have.

Wot, traficlight...: I used WOT a while ago and it can be usefull if you want, but there are also lots of websites that are not correct rated and are safe. Adguard has also malware blocking filter (if you enable it in the settings), so it is not that important to have for me, but WOT can be useful. You have avast installed, so the Avast online security addon is a keeper in my opinion, since it will help your AV, but on the other hand, when you acces a bad site, Avast itself will also tell you.

Vpn: I always use Zenmate if I need a vpn. So far it has a decent speed (free version). If you need more countries to choose from, take a look at DotVPN.

Others: If you have trouble to remember passwords, Lastpass can be interesting.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Out of curiousity.If i use WOT can the google safe browsing be turned off.?
WOT and other website advisors are over-rated, as they add minimal benefits. Google Safe Browsing is part of most browsers, and doesn't consume background services or extra memory. Additionally relying on WOT or other website advisors, will make you dependant on their services. With Safe Browsing, you can browse and visit as many sites as you wish, and will only intervene on detection of Malware or Phishing sites.

To answer the question, Safe Browsing can be disabled in your Browser Settings, but will expose you to malicious and phishing sites.

But consider this, Google Safe Browsing in Chrome, like SmartScreen in Internet Explorer will protect their users from malicious downloads and low reputation downloads, by blocking the malicious file(s).

WOT will not block malicious downloads.

Reactions: Thingol and Oxygen

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
strange reply with all due respect.
Same principal of relying on services will apply to google also surely.?
If you use google safe browsing then you are dependant on google so your comment is wrong in that regard.

If you use WOT instead of safe browsing in chrome then malicious downloads will be blocked.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.