Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello everyone,
We've added a new section on the site that shows tips from our community.

32.jpg

So, in this thread, members can post Security Tips, Performance Tips, or Maintenance Tips, and (if valid) they will be added to the block. The tip can be for Windows, Android, iOS, or macOS and about anything that you think it's helpful to know for the other members.

Basic requirements are:

- Keep it short. Because the space where the tips are displayed is limited, you need to keep the tip short.
- Must be in English with proper spelling and punctuation.

You can post any tip you have below, and if valid, we'll add it and be displayed in the dedicated section. 🤓

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, I'd posted this tiny thing earlier within a thread but might as well re-post it. If you ever look at Event Viewer, esp. after you've reinstalled your Windows, you might find certain yellow DCOM "warnings" in the System logs--usually in clusters of 4.

They do no harm. Let me stress that first and foremost. But if you like a clean (er) EV, there is one way you can easily get rid of this DCOM warning 10016, with GUID ending B6F3A001407E specifically. You will remove this GUID from the registry 4 times. The first time--the video doesn't show it but you hit Enter on your keyboard. Then in the registry for the next 3 times, you click Find Next.

OK, someone please post after me--lol. Don't leave me hanging here all by myself. 🙏

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Since windows 10 default settings are not showing known file extensions it's best to make them visible. So you can see that a file named movie.mkv.exe isn't a movie (and more likely something bad).
@plat So you don't feel alone here :D

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
For people who use online software a lot.
To sum up the difference between each alert, smart screens are security guards and defenders are cops. If you are sure of your identity, tell the smart screen confidently.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Make sure that you only keep software installed that you are using regularly. Software that is barely used can bare the risk of getting exploited by hackers due to the lack of security patches for example. In short - added attack-surface. Use the portable version instead.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
For people who use online software a lot.
To sum up the difference between each alert, smart screens are security guards and defenders are cops. If you are sure of your identity, tell the smart screen confidently.
Could you redo this? Is unclear about what exactly this is?
Well, I'd posted this tiny thing earlier within a thread but might as well re-post it. If you ever look at Event Viewer, esp. after you've reinstalled your Windows, you might find certain yellow DCOM "warnings" in the System logs--usually in clusters of 4.

They do no harm. Let me stress that first and foremost. But if you like a clean (er) EV, there is one way you can easily get rid of this DCOM warning 10016, with GUID ending B6F3A001407E specifically. You will remove this GUID from the registry 4 times. The first time--the video doesn't show it but you hit Enter on your keyboard. Then in the registry for the next 3 times, you click Find Next.

OK, someone please post after me--lol. Don't leave me hanging here all by myself. 🙏

Can you redo this to take less space? I want to avoid adding links or videos.

Make sure that you only keep software installed that you are using regularly. Software that is barely used can bare the risk of getting exploited by hackers due to the lack of security patches for example. In short - added attack-surface. Use the portable version instead.
Since windows 10 default settings are not showing known file extensions it's best to make them visible. So you can see that a file named movie.mkv.exe isn't a movie (and more likely something bad).
@plat So you don't feel alone here :D
Both of these were added.
32.jpg

323.jpg

Keep posting here, and I'll review them. 1 tip per post, try to be clear and avoid using too many sentences.

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Do not use several antivirus suites at once. They will fight each other, thinking the signature patterns, vaccines and defense mechanisms of the other AV are malware. You will end up having a slower computer and worse security.

Pixelman

Level 4
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
Don't be paranoid. It's good to know and practice privacy and security related topics, but don't go too deep into the rabbit hole.

Teach yourself what to do after the fallout (because there is a chance in your lifetime something bad will happen: ransomware, hardware failure, people spreading and misusing your personal info via email, chat, phone and so on).

Take a break, go on vacation, it's sometimes good to clear your mind from tech related stuff. :emoji_beer:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.